Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 09:23 AM

3 posts, read 9,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Inconsiderate idiots are a nuisance in big cities like Las Vegas. But more of a nuisance is those of us who came from other states where we were so over restricted in all areas of life that we became indoctrinated to believe that people have to be held down by stupid laws that restrict their every move. Otherwise if people get too much freedom, why who knows what horrible things will happen? I came here 43 years ago from back east with that attitude and it took about four or five years to disabuse me of it. Since my epiphany nearly 40 years ago about what Nevada really is it has been my mission in life to explain to other easterners that we don't need no more stinkin' laws in Nevada. The only new law we need is one that says if they pass any more laws they have to get rid of an old one. Nevada has a unique and wonderful heritage that it is in danger of losing with all the imported ideas coming in here, especially from the dreaded east coast. That heritage is that the people of Nevada have always been rugged individualists who know how to take care of themselves. Call it a live and let live mentality if you choose, but the fact is we don't expect to tell you what to do and we don't expect you to tell us what to do. Please...none of those idiotic eastern state restrictions for us. Just deal with it. A little noise is not worth the cost to us in the over regulation of our lives.

ESCAPE

“We need wilderness whether or not we ever set foot in it.
We need a refuge even though we may never need to go there....
We need the possibility of escape as surely as we need hope.”

- Edward Abbey
My Hat is off to you! I guess I am one of these social outcast or something, I am 24 years old. I moved to las vegas 3 years ago from southern california because my quality of life was so restricted. I have never been in jail, I have never been arrested, and I have only received one traffic violation in my entire life.. No light on my bicycle.. Honest to god.. thats california.

I just had one of these "boom.. boom.. boom.." systems installed in my car last night. As a respectful person, I woke up this morning and I wanted to check the laws to know what I could do and what I couldn't do within clark county. I think that going to the city council and bashing people with car audio systems would do nothing but distract our law makers from subjects that actually matter and desire their attention.

Please be aware that in the past this was just a fad, however as with every fade there are people within certain groups that take it to extremes. I dont stick out my middle finger and turn my volume up, I dont ware my hat backwards, I dont end each one of my setences with a **** word. I am a normal person, and I value my rights just like anyone of you do.

If you feel that someone is violating you by playing their music loud in their car next to your house, ask them to turn it down. If they dont call the police, there are already laws in place in clark county that are on your side. Use them, but dont fight to make new ones. The last thing I want to have happen is a state trooper pulling me over on my drive to work on the 215 highway because I am listening to my music while driving.

Last edited by Marka; 06-15-2011 at 01:31 AM.. Reason: per request
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2007, 09:26 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,498,624 times
IMO...boom cars are better than foregin cars!

Old 10-04-2007, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
IMO...boom cars are better than foregin cars!
I have a volvo s60

Old 10-04-2007, 09:30 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,498,624 times
sorry...inside joke from another thread on the LV board (see Reckless Driving).

Old 10-04-2007, 09:33 AM

hehe LOL! n1

Old 10-04-2007, 10:22 AM

818 posts, read 3,698,510 times
I get three different varieties:

1) Souped up Hondas that sound like gigantic lawnmowers flying by at warp speed through my neighborhood. They come and go pretty quickly, but are dangerous and noisy.

2) Subwoofers bumping bass. You can hear them from down the street and they get progressively louder and louder then slowly quiet as they drive away. They drive much slower, so the noise is more annoying, but at least they're not going to run down anyone.

3) People cranking Ranchero music from their car stereo while parked in their driveway. This is just silly. There is such a thing as a boom box that you can use so the speakers are right next to you and you don't have to crank it up so loud. Since these are my neighbors, it's easy enough to ask them to turn it down, but I never understood why they would use their car stereo to DJ like this in the first place. The upside to this one is that when you have neighbors hanging out in their front yards, they ward away any potential burglers or vandals that may be around.

If their were any regulation, I would ask for a law requiring subwoofer boxes to be limited to hatch backs and SUV's. What is the point in putting speakers like this in the trunk? The back seat muffles the sound, so the ones getting the brunt of the noise are people outside of the car.

Old 10-04-2007, 05:46 PM

47 posts, read 346,557 times
[quote=Buzz123;980738]Inconsiderate idiots are a nuisance in big cities like Las Vegas. But more of a nuisance is those of us who came from other states where we were so over restricted in all areas of life that we became indoctrinated to believe that people have to be held down by stupid laws that restrict their every move. Otherwise if people get too much freedom, why who knows what horrible things will happen? I came here 43 years ago from back east with that attitude and it took about four or five years to disabuse me of it. Since my epiphany nearly 40 years ago about what Nevada really is it has been my mission in life to explain to other easterners that we don't need no more stinkin' laws in Nevada. The only new law we need is one that says if they pass any more laws they have to get rid of an old one. Nevada has a unique and wonderful heritage that it is in danger of losing with all the imported ideas coming in here, especially from the dreaded east coast. That heritage is that the people of Nevada have always been rugged individualists who know how to take care of themselves. Call it a live and let live mentality if you choose, but the fact is we don't expect to tell you what to do and we don't expect you to tell us what to do. Please...none of those idiotic eastern state restrictions for us. Just deal with it. A little noise is not worth the cost to us in the over regulation of our lives.

AMEN!!

I couldn't have said it better. Yes, the boom-boom cars are incredibly annoying and inconsiderate. The muffler cars are also annoying; not to mention bad for the enviroment. If you have a neighbor who is booming their music from a car stereo, why not just ask them to turn it down? They probably will. If not, you know what to do. But to write down someone's license #, who is just driving down your street.. Ridiculous. 90 days in jail... You've got to be kidding right? As if the jails were not crowded enough! One day in jail for an offense like that is too much. Most of the people driving these cars are kids. Some are into cars, others just watch too much MTV.

Nevada is becoming more and more conservative. It's losing the thing that attracted people to it in the first place. This is Vegas, not Phoenix. The city leaders are corrupt and dirty, they will throw the book at you to get more money for the city, and pay their pensions.

OK, I'm off my soapbox...

Old 11-01-2007, 12:54 AM

23,221 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Default Update on REgulating Boom Cars

According to the recent NoiseFree American newsletter they'r cracking down on boom cars, city aftr city. Examples:
Akron Ohio: On the spot confiscation for noise violation
Auburn Hills, Michigan: First offense, $500
Buffalo, New York: up to $1500 fine, 15 days in jail, and penalizing gas stations and convenience stores for ALLOWING boom cars on their lots
Chicago: $300 first offense, then up to $1000 fine for repeated offense
Contra Costa CA: Fines from $250-$1000. 3 infractions give the city the authority to to impound the offending car
Dodge City, Kansas: Up to $500 per violation and up to 30 days in jail
Gulfport, Mississippi: $622 to $1000 fines; jail time at $25/day to work off unpaid fines; has online citizen complaint forms
Jasper, Florida: Fines up to $500, up to 60 days in jail
Louisville, Kentucky: Fines from $100 to $249 for 1st offense, $250-$499 for 2nd offense, $500-$999 for 3rd offense
Lorain, Ohio: $385 for first offense, Second offense: confiscation of stereo
Pequannock, New Jersey: Fines up to $3,000
Savannah, Georgia: Maximum fine of $1000 and 12 months in jail
St. Paul, MN: $500 per offense with possibility of having the car impounded
State of Oregon: $1500 first offense
Wheeling, West Virginia: Considering giving police the power to disconnect loud car stereos on the spot.
Some day, Las Vegas will be added to the list and if I were someone contemplating installing one of these boom car systems, I'd think twice about wasting all that money for nothing and risking some hefty fine. let's never forget, loud noise is a HEALTH ISSUE!

Old 11-01-2007, 01:36 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,286,775 times
It's nice to see cities starting to do something about it. They should never have let it get as out of hand as it has.
In my area, I don't hear them as often anymore, but when I go to other area's, like the east side of town, they are a real nuisance.

For Las Vegas, they should let the cops shoot out the stereo if it's too loud.

Old 11-01-2007, 11:44 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,113,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
It's nice to see cities starting to do something about it. They should never have let it get as out of hand as it has.
In my area, I don't hear them as often anymore, but when I go to other area's, like the east side of town, they are a real nuisance.

For Las Vegas, they should let the cops shoot out the stereo if it's too loud.
Votin PINK FOR MAYOR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas