Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 12:27 AM

136 posts, read 275,848 times

Advertisements

Hi again - I'm back with more questions. We finally got the offer from my hubby's former company (refresher: laid off last December, now called him to come back, but involves relo to Vegas. Lived there before 10 years ago). We haven't accepted it yet. Working out numbers, figuring out what to do with our house here, probably will rent it here and then rent there.

Anyway, I'm curious if their price is the price or if they ever negotiate? I've only ever rented apts in the past and that was years ago. Not sure how the house rental market works. We would, more than likely, be a long term renter, 1-2, maybe 3 years.

I've mostly been considering Henderson (89052, 89012, 89074) mostly due to the convenience to hubby's work. He'll be working just off of Sunset directly south of the airport. However, we lived southwest when we lived there before. We do like the west side too, and now some of you all have me intrigued about the NW, which I really know nothing about.

Can you tell me, would that really be an awful drive for DH? Would it be best to take the 215 around or pick up 95 and come down on I-15? Commute time?

Also, can you give me some street names or community names in the NW so I can reference some things on a map? When we lived there before, we never went up that way. I'm thinking the schools are probably in line with Henderson and Summerlin schools too?

Thanks a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 12:43 AM

108 posts, read 310,746 times
There are alot of houses for rent here and at a good price too. I live off Warm Springs and Stephanie in the Emerald Valley subdivison. I am in zipcode 89014 and 3 minutes from the Galleria. Super walmart and All the restaurants on Stephanie between Warm Springs and Sunset. My daughter has a 15 minute walk to Green Valley High School. I like this area.

Old 09-02-2010, 01:17 AM

6,360 posts, read 11,804,632 times
NW may be worth considering if you are buying, but renting almost always should be targeted for your commute. As for negotiation, its like everything in life it can't happen if you don't ask. In reality what landlords will do is the obvious thing, they will put it up at one price and if nothing works out they will slowly lower their price until it does. If you find a property that just got listed don't expect much leeway, but if its been there a month you can easily negotiate.

Old 09-02-2010, 08:28 AM

932 posts, read 2,336,721 times
Rent is definitely negotiable, though some landlords are less inclined to stray from their price than others. When I moved to Las Vegas, I had a specific price limit in mind. My potential (and eventual) landlord was asking a higher price. I offered to pay six months' rent up front as a compromise, and that was enough to result in him agreeing. It probably helped that this was a single-family house, not a corporate-owned apartment or condo. Fortunately I was in a financial position to make that offer. I realize not everyone is.

Sometimes it takes a little creative thinking to make it work, but it definitely can work.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:49 AM

968 posts, read 2,056,174 times
Absolutely negotiate. In some of my smaller condos I usually start dropping the rent about $25 every two weeks until rented. In my high rise condos, I am little more firm. As usual, it depends on market conditions. Moreover, I certainly would be more willing to negotiate if you present yourself as stable income, high credit, and longer lease.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:52 AM

61,290 posts, read 87,099,452 times
i have not done well in negotiating rent with landlords what i have a high opinion of is taking a moonlight handyman job or manager or receptionist/clerk job for rent free or greatly reduced rent. this has worked well for me.

Old 09-02-2010, 08:39 PM

848 posts, read 1,718,871 times
Yes you can negotiate, vacancies are high all over the valley for rentals with leases.

Old 09-02-2010, 09:19 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,550,059 times
I had asked a similar question before I got my apartment recently. I took it upon myself to negotiate in different forms at the apartments I looked at. I even went as far as to ask if I payed several months ahead of time would there be any discount. Not a single place took the offer even though they are dealing with people all over defaulting on leases. I would have to say that the only way you are likely going to get anywhere negotiating is with individuals and not apartment complexes owned by management companies. There are some good deals out there though. At the place I ended up, water is already included in the rent which is the lowest rent I have ever paid and I got 1 month free. I would have had no security deposit but I put a fraud alert on my credit report about a year back when I thought there was something fishy on there. They said they automatically assign a $250 security deposit when there is a fraud alert because they don't know what it's about.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:51 PM

848 posts, read 1,718,871 times
If someone wants to negotiate with a future landlord just make sure you know the rates/amenities/sq footage on the other rentals around the area you are looking into. Best to have a knowledge of the competition which you can easily use as a bargaining tool.

Old 09-02-2010, 11:28 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,061,633 times
Real Estate is always negotiable.

Apartment complexes certainly negotiate with the spifs they offer. In general they will not negotiate the individual lease.

PMs and private owners will negotiate more freely. They negotiate more when the place has been vacant a while. They negotiate more when offered long term leases or large pre-payments.

The range is limited. This is not a bad rental market. You are not going to get a large discount from the going rate unless something is wrong.

Knowing the going rate in an area is needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas