Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 11:57 AM

1,347 posts, read 2,448,277 times

Advertisements

sdreloc, not to steer you completely off topic, but what were your impressions of the Sky Point and Terrasini condos? Which complex did you prefer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2010, 12:11 PM

399 posts, read 1,026,188 times
I think the complexes looked very similar and both had pluses and minuses.
Terrasini was closer to a grocery store (Walmart Supercenter) than Sky Pointe is to Vons. Both are walkable though and Vons has delivery.
Terassini has Costco and Best Buy close by, but it doesn't matter since I would need a car to carry most things I would get from those stores anyway and most things in Best Buy are overpriced compared to buying online for delivery, so being in walking distance to those places is no real advantage.
I also didn't like the congestion around the school behind Terrasini with parents double parking and blocking the street to pick up their kids.

I like the area around Sky Pointe more and I feel it will stay nicer in the long term than the area right around Terrasini and I liked being able to walk to the Centennial Hills library and YMCA so I am leaning towards Sky Pointe.

I'm not sure I would join YMCA since it is $43 per month which puts it in the range of 24 Hour Fitness and makes it much pricier than Snap Fitness and Anytime Fitness. I may just use the cardio equipment in the complex fitness center and use some dumbells and elastic bands at home instead of joining a outside gym. I do like the idea of having a short walk to the YMCA rather than riding the bus to a gym or staying home all the time though.

Old 09-22-2010, 12:17 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,593,978 times
I love the area around the YMCA and the Centennial Library. Plus there are numerous trails through the nice park there that you could walk through or sit at to read a book. It's a lot of green space that you don't usually see in Vegas. The area has a "Summerlin" feel to it.

By the way, I think the park may sponsor a farmers market. I have not ever been so I don't know the specifics or if they still do it.

Old 09-22-2010, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyra33 View Post
I love the area around the YMCA and the Centennial Library. Plus there are numerous trails through the nice park there that you could walk through or sit at to read a book. It's a lot of green space that you don't usually see in Vegas. The area has a "Summerlin" feel to it.

By the way, I think the park may sponsor a farmers market. I have not ever been so I don't know the specifics or if they still do it.
I just looked it up and found some old articles about the farmers market in Centennial Hills park. http://gocitykids.parentsconnect.com/attraction/centennial-hills-park-farmers-market-7101-north-buffalo-drive-las-vegas-nv-89112-us

I can't find anything current about it, so it may have been discountiued at that location.
Too bad because it is about a mile and a half walk from Sky Pointe or a shorter walk to a bus stop and then short bus ride.
6868 Sky Pointe Dr, Las Vegas, NV 89131 to 7101 N Buffalo Dr, Las Vegas, NV 89131 - Google Maps

Old 09-22-2010, 02:49 PM

930 posts, read 1,818,085 times
here is a thread on Farmers Market in Las Vegas:

//www.city-data.com/forum/las-v...l#post15873768

also weblink: Welcome to Las Vegas Farmers Market

Old 09-22-2010, 02:54 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,284,619 times
The Farmers markets are probably winding down for the season. They are in various parks around the valley all summer long, and the Centennial hills park as well.
As for the Whole Foods and Trader Joes stores coming anytime soon, good luck with that. We've been in Aliante for almost 7 years now and still no TJ's and WF. I wish they would at least give us a Sunflower market. Cheap and good organic produce. We also need a Sweet Tomatoes restaurant out here.

I might worry a little if you decide to move to Sky Pointe for the easy access of Vons nearby. They keep closing those stores without any notice, and since they closed the 2 we went to all the time at Craig/MLK and Lone Moutain/Decatur, it's a matter of time before the one at sky pointe closes too. Get near a Fresh and Easy and you should be fine. They keep sprouting up all over the place. However, they do not have much organic produce, but their prices are wonderful.

Old 09-22-2010, 03:04 PM

Vons and Albertsons deliver. So, I should be able to shop online and have groceries brought to my door even if there isn't one right in the local neighborhood.
I think there is Windsor Farms delivery for organic foods, but I read mixed reviews saying it isn't always organic. I can order online from some places like Diamond Organics and get overnight delivery, but it would probably be cheaper to just stock up on frozen and freezable organic fruits and vegetables every month or so with a $27 taxi ride from Whole Foods Tenaya. I called the Tenaya store and asked about delivery and they said Fort Apache Whole Foods has delivery, but when I called Fort Apache, the person answering said they don't have delivery.

Old 09-22-2010, 04:06 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,284,619 times
Winder farms delivers. But.....we just tried this and I can honestly say I am really disappointed. Groupons.com had a special deal to get $50 worth of food for $20. So we did. Winder Farms is good for someone that doesn't want to go shopping, or can't go shopping due to disability or no car,etc, and doesn't care that they are paying a considerable markup from grocery store prices. For me, since I know how to pick good quality produce, it's a rip off. It might work for others though.

Diamond Organics sounds good. I will check it out.
Also, here is something that is good. Order from Vitacost.com for canned, and boxed organic foods, plus supplements, personal care items,etc. And you will have it the next day or 1 day later, since they have a distribution center here in North Las Vegas. I made an order yesterday and it was here today. Continues to surprise me.

You should make friends with your new neighbors after you move here and maybe catch some rides to the store now and then with them. Maybe we can take you over to Whole Foods when we go sometime, and only charge you $10. But..we only go to the one at Town Center across from Fry's. Clear across town. We go there because they have our no salt added foods there versus the Whole foods at Tenaya that does not. Neither does the one on Charleston. We also go once every few months now.

Maybe you should just buy a condo at The District at Green Valley ranch. You can then walk to the Whole Foods that is right there. And you are close to everything else too. Of course it will cost a lot more than a condo at Sky Pointe.
If not there, then try a condo near the Whole Foods in The Lakes area. You could then walk across the street. You are close to Vons as well. If you don't want to get a car, that could work for you. Still a great area over there too.

Old 09-22-2010, 04:44 PM

I don't really want to plan my entire life around just being next to a Whole Foods when I may be able to order everything I want from Diamond Organics or just avoid eating the "dirty dozen" high pesticide produce and eat less organic. I want to also have easy access to a bus that goes to the strip (C-Line Express from CH is nice), library, low and moderate priced restaurants, discount stores like Target etc.) but what condo complex are you referring to near Whole Foods?

The more things to see and do that are within walking distance and along the route of the local bus line, the better.

Old 09-22-2010, 05:13 PM

I found an unbiased review from 2005 of Diamond Organics http://www.forkandbottle.com/shoppin...diamondorg.htm and it looks like it would work for me. With delivery fees, it could be even more expensive that shopping at Whole Foods, but less expensive than paying an extra $30K vs Sky Pointe to live next to Whole Foods or paying for taxis to CH from the nearest Whole Foods and I would have the convenience of getting it brought to my front door.
I will try Diamond Organics where I live now just to see how it works. Worst case scenario, I can live without organic foods and just get everything from Vons, Smith's and Fresh & Easy, so it is not a deal killer for Sky Pointe either way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas