Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2010, 10:45 AM

399 posts, read 1,025,908 times

Advertisements

I am not in that age bracket to qualify, but I'm just curious what it costs to live in these places beyond the cost of buying the home in these communities?

I assume there are always HOA fees, but do you also have additional fees to use amenities clubhouses, pools, golf courses etc, or is it all included?

What are the lowest purchase cost and ongoing monthly cost "Sun City-type" communities in the Las Vegas area?
How does Sun City Aliante compare to others in cost?
Do any of the communities have townhomes and condos?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2010, 11:08 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdreloc View Post
I am not in that age bracket to qualify, but I'm just curious what it costs to live in these places beyond the cost of buying the home in these communities?

I assume there are always HOA fees, but do you also have additional fees to use amenities clubhouses, pools, golf courses etc, or is it all included?

What are the lowest purchase cost and ongoing monthly cost "Sun City-type" communities in the Las Vegas area?
They vary in price. Get down to perhaps 90K...mostly townhouses or condos in Sun City Summerlin. These will have HOA fees around $200 or $225. There are condos and townhouses in Summerlin and Anthem. I don't think there are any in Aliante.

SFRs will start around 90K in Aliante and $125K in Summerlin and Anthem. Aliante HOA runs around $100 the other two around $80 or $85. Note that there are often SIDs in Aliante that can be another $50 or so per month.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:01 AM

1,631 posts, read 3,950,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdreloc View Post

There is a nice selection of 55 and older communities some are 65 and older.
The HOA's include all the amenities, for the most part.
some communities are gated and some are not.
Some communities can have a community HOA and a master plan HOA.
HOA's are all over the map from around $90.00 a month over $100.00 a month depending on what amenities they offer.
Some age restricted communties are not gated if that is important to you or not.
Each of these communities have their own personality I suggest to come and check them out personally. And can very in what they offer in amenities.
Here are communities that you might want to check out their websites to find out about the communities:
Sun City Summerlin
[SIZE=4]Sun City Summerlin Real Estate - Sun City Summerlin Las Vegas Real ...[/SIZE]
Sun City Summerlin Homes represent the first foray by Del Webb into the Las Vegas real estate market for age-restricted communities. ...
www.mslasvegasrealestate.com/sun_city_summerlin.html

Ardiente North Las Vegas
They are still selling new in this community so not only do you have the option to purchase a resale you can take advantage of the new low competitive prices of a new home.
www.sheahomesatardiente.com

Suncity McDonald Ranch Henderson
[SIZE=4]Sun City - Home Page[/SIZE]
Sun City MacDonald Ranch. ... Sun City MacDonald Ranch is a 55+ community of 2513 single family and duplex homes located a short 15-minute drive from the ...
scmronline.com/ -

Sun city Anthem Henderson
[SIZE=4]Sun City Anthem - Home Page[/SIZE]
Nestled in the lovely Black Mountains foothills of Henderson, Nevada, is the beautiful age-restricted community of Sun City Anthem. The vibrant and inviting ...
www.sca-hoa.org/ -

Solera at Stallion Mountain
They are still selling new in this community so not only do you have the option to purchase a resale you can take advantage of the new low competitive prices of a new home.
[SIZE=4]Solera at Stallion Mountain | Active Adult Community Las Vegas NV ...[/SIZE]
Solera at Stallion Mountain is an Active Adult Community by Del Webb in NV. Visit today and view photos and prices of available new home models and floor ...
www.delwebb.com/.../nv/las.../solera-at-stallion-mountain/index.aspx

Good Luck in your search

Old 09-07-2010, 09:18 AM

1,410 posts, read 3,317,694 times
I live in SC Summerlin. Looked at all the other ones and it was my favorite because of being the oldest and most established and to me, much more attractive. I believe it the largest;covers about 35 miles and has 7500 residences. My HOA runs just short of $100 a month and is going up again next year. No, you do not pay anything additional to use clubhouses, pools and other facilities. You do pay a small amount to join the social clubs; about $10-15 per year and there are over 250 choices. You also pay more for your house to live in such an area. I could have purchased much more house for the money in a typical good area. If you purchase a condo, you have condo fees in addition. Floorplans vary from community to community. The only floorplans I cared for were built in either SC Anthem or SC Summerlin because I like a huge great room. Do not like my square feet divided up between a little living room, a little dining room and a little Nevada room. The last I heard, residents of Sienna were quite unhappy with the management and SC Anthem is constantly torn apart by a few women board members constantly fighting. They persist on sending me emails hashing their points or stirring up more things and I finally wrote to them and said because of all the dissention they brought to my attention, I wouldn't even consider living there. If you are interested in something relatively small, you can get in here just under $200K. If you are looking for some space, figure anywhere from $235,000 upwards to over $750,000.

Old 09-07-2010, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjameson922 View Post
I live in SC Summerlin. Looked at all the other ones and it was my favorite because of being the oldest and most established and to me, much more attractive. I believe it the largest;covers about 35 miles and has 7500 residences. My HOA runs just short of $100 a month and is going up again next year. No, you do not pay anything additional to use clubhouses, pools and other facilities. You do pay a small amount to join the social clubs; about $10-15 per year and there are over 250 choices. You also pay more for your house to live in such an area. I could have purchased much more house for the money in a typical good area. If you purchase a condo, you have condo fees in addition. Floorplans vary from community to community. The only floorplans I cared for were built in either SC Anthem or SC Summerlin because I like a huge great room. Do not like my square feet divided up between a little living room, a little dining room and a little Nevada room. The last I heard, residents of Sienna were quite unhappy with the management and SC Anthem is constantly torn apart by a few women board members constantly fighting. They persist on sending me emails hashing their points or stirring up more things and I finally wrote to them and said because of all the dissention they brought to my attention, I wouldn't even consider living there. If you are interested in something relatively small, you can get in here just under $200K. If you are looking for some space, figure anywhere from $235,000 upwards to over $750,000.
You can get into Sun City Summerlin for about 100K...but must pay the Townhouse HOA fees which run just over $200. You can get a single family starting at about $140K. At the moment HUD is offering a very nice Sandalwood - 1384 SF - with a very nice pool for $141K. Note that it may sell for more than that.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:17 PM

579 posts, read 1,209,760 times
Quote:
Most of these communities have an 80/20 rule. The Housing for Older Persons Act just requires that at all times an 80% ratio of over age 55 (in Sun City Summerlin for example) be in place. My mother bought into this community before 55. She, now much older, lives at another age restricted community, Destinations, which are apartments with a similar rule. They had over a "certain amount" of vacancies to fill, and were able to rent to those under 55. She has a 43 year-old living below her. She asked him why he would want to move there, and he said he likes the quiet, the lack of children, and the social groups. So if you were interested you may be able to swing it if you find one with the right "ratio".

Old 09-07-2010, 09:31 PM

399 posts, read 1,025,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhunting View Post
Most of these communities have an 80/20 rule. The Housing for Older Persons Act just requires that at all times an 80% ratio of over age 55 (in Sun City Summerlin for example) be in place. My mother bought into this community before 55. She, now much older, lives at another age restricted community, Destinations, which are apartments with a similar rule. They had over a "certain amount" of vacancies to fill, and were able to rent to those under 55. She has a 43 year-old living below her. She asked him why he would want to move there, and he said he likes the quiet, the lack of children, and the social groups. So if you were interested you may be able to swing it if you find one with the right "ratio".
That sounds really interesting since I want a quiet place without screaming kids running around and adults partying blasting music all night also, but they don't compete well pricewise with the 4 year old 1 bedroom condos I'm looking at that can be purchased for below $60K.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhunting View Post
Generally not in the major Sun cities. The 80/20 rule is in the federal housing laws. And note if a place ever violates it you can never get it back. Anyone over 18 can live there but there must be one person in the house over 55.

In general the Sun Cities reserve the under 55 exceptions for survivors. They will generally approve an under 55 spouse to continue living there after an over 55 spouse dies. They generally turn down other relationships. Children for instance generally are invited to leave or find a relative to cover the 55 need.

Builders are often somewhat more lenient. So Ardiente may work.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:06 AM

1,631 posts, read 3,950,349 times
55 is the rule in Ardiente and a 19 yr old or older can live there with a senior resident, however if the senior should pass they would have to leave.

Seniors can have small grand children visit but only for a little.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas