Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 10:15 AM

762 posts, read 1,562,309 times

Advertisements

Although I will use this as a very, very last resort does anyone know of good ones? The last few days have been almost too much for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2010, 12:59 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
What are you really looking for?

Nursing home, assisted living? What's up? We need more info to answer your question.

Old 09-16-2010, 08:32 AM

nursing home. If I can't take care of him it would need a staff to do it. I am trained to care for the elderly and if and when I can't it would mean he has gotten to the point where it would take more than one person.

Old 09-16-2010, 10:32 AM

1,410 posts, read 3,319,508 times
Would your husband qualify for hospice? If so, Medicare covers that 100%.

Old 09-17-2010, 05:43 AM

no hospice yet. He is unable to eat, move, talk etc. Hospice is just before death, he will be able to live for a bit with extra help. Maybe one year.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:16 AM

4,041 posts, read 2,908,738 times
Actually skisickie, hospice is available up to 6 months before death. A doctor needs to verify the diagnosis. I highly recommend hospice earlier rather than later. It would allow you time to spend quality time with your husband to offer emotional support and not be worried about his nursing needs. And the hospice will offer YOU emotional support at this terribly difficult time. I worked for a hospice and know what a blessing it can be for the people who need it.

Old 09-17-2010, 02:21 PM

1,410 posts, read 3,319,508 times
Kiwi is so right. My husband was hospiced and I can't begin to tell you what a help it was for both of us. A doctor has to certify six months or less but as hospice will say, "no one can foresee the future and we never stop services if it goes beyond six months." They will offer you a complete package that includes hospice home nurse, caregivers, aids, respite workers so you can get out and take care of things you need to do, chaplain and social worker. I first thought I had no need for all these people. What I learned is these people worked with me as much as him. I was full of anger, bitter, resentful, anxious, depressed, you name it. They taught me it was normal and I was not alone. Every situation is different but they have seen it all. I was also told the very best hospice programs are those that are non-profit, so keep that in mind. Medicare covers it 100%.

Old 09-17-2010, 02:40 PM

It is over one year I would bet. (I hope at least) Per Drs orders I stopped the parkies meds. He has been diagnosed with progressive supernuclear palsy; which is far worse than Parkinson's.
After about 5 days of being off the Parkinson's meds he became completly immobile. I am lifting 220 lbs of dead weight after a back surgery.
We have put back in the sinemet he is able to help lift his leg to move him. Thank you all for the kind words and help. I have been to the Lou Ruvo center Lou Ruvo Center for Brain Health - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (where his wonderful dr is) so that I can be better prepared in case of crisis. I was so helpless for a bit, but now I am able to care for him again.

Old 09-17-2010, 03:02 PM

LVD I tried to reply to your message but it was gone? I wish only the best for you.
I am in such a state that friendship is not an option. In fact one of my dearest friends has been turned off so much by my anger that she is not returning my calls. I have brand new skis waiting for us too!!!!!!!

I have been with her when her husband commited suicide, her daughters drug problem, her problem with dating/sleeping with too many men etc. I guess the last time I got her a room at the Wynn put her out?
she did say that I was angry. Well I am!!!!!
My husband taught me to ski
My husband is my best friend
I hate to cry
I am crying all the flipp_n time.
But I do want you to get well and you make me smile all of the time
Now tonight I am taking my dh to Bills to listen to the piano bar
or maybe the Paris. He loves it and I can put him in his wheelchair today. YIPPIe

Old 09-17-2010, 03:08 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,244,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skisickie View Post
LVD I tried to reply to your message but it was gone? I wish only the best for you.
I repped you, not a DM. As I said I am horrified by your situation. I was a personal care attendant so I can relate to your situation. God Bless you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas