Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2010, 02:46 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,123,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by building View Post
It's funny that people who have jobs try to insist that there are jobs in Vegas. I lived in Vegas for about a year without employment. To make a long story short, I placed thousands of resumes out, and NOTHING. I decided to pack up the family and moved to California. After 2 weeks, I was offered 4 jobs.

I am not putting Vegas down but people should not move to Vegas unless they have a job waiting for them!!!
Even though I am employed. I still test my resume out in the work force for feedback. In the 19 months I have been stationed in Vegas I have received positive along with little negative feedback. Even got hired on the spot 3 times for 3 different companies. I do this so I wont become complacent with not being in the civilain work sector. Plus it helps with having a fresh up to date resume ready at all times.

On another note, One of my friends that has recently moved out to Vegas had no job and a felony conviction on his record. He is now working 2 jobs and currently looking for a third.

I guess he wasnt lazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2010, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushx1 View Post
uh...let me ask you this. Did your roommate have a particular skill? Is he versed in a particular field of expertise? Does he have a degree in this field? How many years experience in this field does he have as well, what kind of economic growth did he accrue in the time he has been a professional in that field.
People like to think that it is just that easy to go out and stake your claim in this economy AND in Las Vegas. Im sure, that if one did not care how it got done that it could happen.
But, now let me inform you of this. And when I say this, I am saying that this is solely based upon my field of work which is Culinary.
I am an educated person with a degree in culinary arts. I am a certified Pro Chef 3 C.D.C. I have, at the highest point in my career managed PNL exceeding 5 million + for some of the biggest resorts here in Vegas with my last being the Chef de Cuisine of the opening of the Hard Rock Hotel in San Diego.
Do you know how many interviews that I have been to as of late where I was told ...."you are over qualified"? All of them. In this day and age where pride is something that must be swallowed, what is one to do when they hear those words.
To test my theory that this town is completely off its rocker, I went to a job fair holding interviews for cooks. Yes, I went completely down the chain in a high speed reverse. One look from the interviewer and was simply asked...Why? Why would I take something like this with the skills I have. My reply , Now days, you have to do what you have to do.
Although I was moved on to a more formal interview with the Ex. Chef, it was there I was met with this remark. "I dont take chef's into the kitchen...Im the chef and more times than not,when i have hired managing chef's they try to take control of my kitchen....sorry"
So...how do you like them apples. That is the kind of crap I have faced for months now. So dont go telling me that Im picky or freakin lazy or I was not willing to do whatever it took.
These times are hard on alot of people. Sure, there are lazy people, but dont even go off and stereotype those that are unemployed.
Im sorry, but its comments like that that really get my undies in a bunch. You have NO idea what its like to walk in shoes like mine. Go preach your hypocritical values somewhere else!
I can understand your frustration but as far as what I wrote, I say that there are jobs all over the valley because I have numerous people all around that are getting hired all the time. Freinds, family, in-laws. I even have some in-laws that quite a job one week then find another job the next. This is not impossible to do. Its about net-working, knowing the right people, tailoring your resume to the exact job you are going after. There is no such thing as one resume fits all. One of the hiring managers that I work with lets me see and help screen resumes for government positions that we are hiring for. Half the resumes have WAY TOO MUCH information as if they are trying to get a job for any company that reads it. We just care about what you can do for the government or Air Force.

We caome across people that are "over qualified" all the time but its mainly becasue they include info about themslves doing everything under the sun and having experience in every single field in the world. This person should just go start his/her own company.

Then on the other side of things. My friend who is a convicted felon had to start out at Wendys making minimum wage, then slowly moved up to Shift supervisor in about a 7 month time frame. While working at Wendys, he kept looking for work downtown. Finally landed a job at a strip club as a securty/bouncer making $9.00. The manager said he only gave him a job because of his persistance. And he still has not stopped there. He has about 2 interviews lined up just about every week for a third job.

Even on my way to work every morning I pass 3 businesses with "NOW HIRING" signs out side.

I stick by what I said ealier...."There are jobs in Vegas".

Old 10-03-2010, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushx1 View Post
Precisely my point! 23 with no skills AND NOTHING TO LOSE!! He COULD go and work for min. wage.
I am 40 years old with a house and a car. In other words, an adapted lifestyle that i worked hard for. Sure, one could say the more money you make the more problems you gain,at the same time...It is NOT my fault I was let go. If it was not for my saving...Id be screwed!!! And what of my aggressive 401 K that has been severely damaged by all this. At 23, you had better be very concerned with what is happening
So, once again, not everyone in Las Vegas is 23 and has the ability to just go out and get that fast food style of job. So, there again as well, be careful who you generalize. One day you may just wake up realizing the same thing I speak of
My friend is 35 with 6 kids. He used to be in construction work making a little over $17.00 an hour putting in 60 hours a week. Now that he is making far from that he had to sacrifice. Got rid of his motorcycle, house and car. Now he is on the bus. Yet he still says that he is blessed to be working two min wage jobs.

Old 10-03-2010, 11:23 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,554,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
My friend is 35 with 6 kids. He used to be in construction work making a little over $17.00 an hour putting in 60 hours a week. Now that he is making far from that he had to sacrifice. Got rid of his motorcycle, house and car. Now he is on the bus. Yet he still says that he is blessed to be working two min wage jobs.
Exactly. Being able to take a step back and gain good perspective on your situation is absolutely key. I imagine your friend has done just that and giving thanks for what you do have, however meager is truly the recipe for happiness if not success as well. As soon as you allow yourself to become beaten down and convinced that there is no way you will find employment or anything else for that matter, you will not find what you are looking for.

Old 10-04-2010, 02:05 AM

2,879 posts, read 7,757,730 times
Construction is 1% of what it was. Even with TARP, and Obama's shove ready jobs. I think most people know now, what he and Harry Reid no how to shovel. I spent 8 months there in 2009. Was willing to wash dishes (part time). I saw one help wanted sign the entire time (at Dairy Queen). Great place to invest with cash, if you don't mind the misery.

Old 10-06-2010, 12:24 AM

848 posts, read 1,720,076 times
At the moment retail jobs are hiring because of the coming holiday season, most are temporary jobs but for some lucky people it could lead to permanent jobs depending on performance. Next year, Tivoli Village (shopping, dining, entertainment) will be opening during the Spring time, they also bought the vacant land across the street so perhaps more retail jobs in the future. Not much pay on retail jobs though generally speaking.

Old 10-06-2010, 01:12 AM

16,265 posts, read 43,026,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khuntrevor View Post
Construction is 1% of what it was. Even with TARP, and Obama's shove ready jobs. I think most people know now, what he and Harry Reid no how to shovel. I spent 8 months there in 2009. Was willing to wash dishes (part time). I saw one help wanted sign the entire time (at Dairy Queen). Great place to invest with cash, if you don't mind the misery.
It doesn't matter what President you have in there...you could have Sarah Palin in office...but no matter what, replicating the construction numbers from 1% to 100% constructing all the time to build a gazillion more homes and giving bad loans to anyone and everyone to fill those homes, just isn't going to happen again. That construction/bad loan combination is why we're in such a bad recession now with no end in sight.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:56 AM

1,631 posts, read 3,942,729 times
If your planning on opening a business in Nevada you may want to read this article, also if you will need to find a job when you come here you may want to read this as well.

NEVADA ECONOMY: State council votes to increase unemployment tax

CARSON CITY -- Happy New Year, Nevada employers. Starting Jan. 1, you will be hit with a 50 percent increase in the taxes you pay to provide unemployment benefits to workers, the state Employment Security Council decided Tuesday.

Old 10-06-2010, 10:22 AM

2,557 posts, read 4,554,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 license to sell View Post
If your planning on opening a business in Nevada you may want to read this article, also if you will need to find a job when you come here you may want to read this as well.

CARSON CITY -- Happy New Year, Nevada employers. Starting Jan. 1, you will be hit with a 50 percent increase in the taxes you pay to provide unemployment benefits to workers, the state Employment Security Council decided Tuesday.

When a person goes broke they beg for money. When the state goes broke, it's like spinning a wheel to see who will give them free money. Imagine if either sharon angle or harry reid skipped all the slander ad's and actually used those millions to put back into the economy. It might be just enough to get them the win.

Old 10-06-2010, 10:51 AM

901 posts, read 1,892,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 license to sell View Post

Just what struggling businesses in a weak economy need.... an additional burden. Brilliant!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas