Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 12:44 PM

8 posts, read 15,761 times

Advertisements

I would love to hear from you if you like to do outdoor activities especially mountain hiking.

I am a male in my late 30s. I live in NW Las Vegas.

- Tiger
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2007, 04:01 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,355,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger__LV View Post
I would love to hear from you if you like to do outdoor activities especially mountain hiking.

- Tiger
Are you new here or do you have experience hiking in these parts? My wife and I hiked for years all over the area, but I've had to give it up due to health problems. Like an alley cat that's been recently fixed though, I can still give advice.

Old 07-01-2007, 06:29 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,286,775 times
Tiger, try this site:
getoutlv.com

Old 07-01-2007, 07:05 PM

294 posts, read 1,334,487 times
Quote:

- Tiger
Im into mountain biking but I shouldn't have my equiptment here till Sept? Your not a serial killer are you?

Old 07-01-2007, 09:55 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,286,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billeethakid View Post
Im into mountain biking but I shouldn't have my equiptment here till Sept? Your not a serial killer are you?
Don't you know the serial killer's won't tell you if they are or not? The only way to find out is to go out biking and see if you come back alive.

Old 07-01-2007, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Are you new here or do you have experience hiking in these parts? My wife and I hiked for years all over the area, but I've had to give it up due to health problems. Like an alley cat that's been recently fixed though, I can still give advice.
So, does that mean you folks can hike now?

Well, I have somewhat experience hiking in Mt. Charleston area. I have not gone to the peak yet. I want to do that this summer though. Any advise or actual participation would be helpful. Thanks!

Old 07-01-2007, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billeethakid View Post
No I am not. And I hope you are not one as well.

I am not crazy about biking though. It takes a heavy toll on my balls for some reason.

Old 07-01-2007, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
Tiger, try this site:
getoutlv.com
Thanks Pink! I will check that site out. Have you tried that website yourself?

Old 07-02-2007, 12:04 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,355,457 times
Quote:
So, does that mean you folks can hike now?

Well, I have somewhat experience hiking in Mt. Charleston area. I have not gone to the peak yet. I want to do that this summer though. Any advise or actual participation would be helpful. Thanks!
Like I said, due to health I can't hike in mountains now but I've done more than my share.

Unless your are in really great shape and are a marathon runner, Charleston Peak is an overnighter as far as I'm concerned. Round trip is 18 miles. We made it to a little ways below the peak and back hiking from sunup to sundown a couple of times. We may have been less than an hour from the peak but we had to turn back or possibly get lost in the dark. My wife made it with a group to the plane crash site and back in one day. We've made it to the top but all the way to the peak was an overnighter for us. If you're a runner, the Las Vegas track club runs to the peak and back in about the time than it always took us to make it to the meadow at 10,000ft where we usually spent the night. Our best time to the meadow at the top of the switchbacks was about 4 hours 45 minutes. But we beat two college athletes. That's about five very steep miles (1 mph is about right going up; maybe 1½ or 2 mph coming down). From the start of the meadow the trail is along a ridge at about 10,000 feet for about four miles. It's not exactly level but not steep until you get above tree line and onto the talus slope. Then it's a steep climb on loose rocks with more switchbacks to the peak at 11,982 ft. It's worth the effort to get up there though.

It's best to take your time and enjoy it. Camp in the meadow at the top of the switchbacks and acclimate. We liked to sleep under the stars. Actually we were under the first giant bristlecone pine at the top of the switchback trail in case of rain, but it never rained once in all our hikes up there. Hike to the peak in the morning at sunup, then you can make it all the way back down the same day. Leave your gear stowed in the meadow and just take water and lunch in a day pack to the peak. Nobody will want to steal it because nobody would want to carry it. Take plenty of water for two days. You don't need a lot of food but you will need more water than you may realize. There is no drinkable water up there. A lot of people like to take the north loop trail up and the south loop down, or vice versa. We never have made it past the horse trough on the north loop though.

Check out this site. You'll pass the 1955 plane crash on the way up via the south loop. Silent Heroes of the Cold War National Memorial - Home Page

Old 07-02-2007, 02:29 PM

294 posts, read 1,334,487 times
Quote:
No I am not. And I hope you are not one as well.

I am not crazy about biking though. It takes a heavy toll on my balls for some reason.

Big ballz? JK
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: