U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2010, 01:21 PM

685 posts, read 1,758,719 times

Advertisements

This may serve as a precaution for other out of state homeowners. I bought a house last month and contracted with a pool guy, landscape guy and handyman to take care of things until I can move here. Well, just got my first water bill of $260 for 25 days. After a few calls and having a plumber inspect the property, it turned out the pool guy had turned on the manual fill valve to top up the water in the pool and then forgotten to turn it off. Thankfully it wasn't a plumbing break inside the house. I just hate to think of the 67000 gallons of wasted water. My pool guy apologized and is installing (at a discount) some type of float that will automatically turn the water on for a few minutes a day.

I suggest that if you have a pool without auto-fill and don't live on the property, you either have a more reliable pool guy or have some kind of device installed to prevent a similar mishap.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2010, 01:36 PM

458 posts, read 1,561,199 times
Yikes. I would expect more than an apology from the pool guy. He should pay the bill! Then he should be fired.

My two cents.

Old 10-09-2010, 02:09 PM

15,370 posts, read 36,186,397 times
2+2=4cents
I would put the pool dork into 67,000 gallons of pool water and hold his head under til he [A] coughs up $250 [b] stops wiggling

Old 10-09-2010, 02:41 PM

18,847 posts, read 33,987,229 times
Get rid of pool guy. You are right, probably not worth suing him for the money, but he should give you the float for FREE.

Old 10-09-2010, 03:33 PM

685 posts, read 1,758,719 times
The way I look at it - is that everyone makes mistakes. He surely didn't do it on purpose, so I'll cut him some slack. The valve is on the side of the house and the water flows into the pool below surface level, so it's somewhat understandable. I'll see how things go forward. Thanks for your thoughts.

Old 10-09-2010, 04:12 PM

2,961 posts, read 8,009,805 times
There is a quick solution for that bone head mistake by rookie pool guys! What I do is I turn on the fill, then I place my car keys on top of the valve. When i'm ready to leave, I have to get my keys and turn off the water. Another way is to put a hose in the pool and leave it dripping (like a very light trickle). This will keep the pool good for a week and not have to worry about it over flowing. The other alternative is a pool deck autofill, these work good but they are not perfect and they can get stuck. I agree, your pool guy should give you a few months free service or pay for your water bill.

Old 10-09-2010, 05:21 PM

487 posts, read 677,967 times
I had one of those plastic auto fill devices that you attached your garden hose and laid by the side of the pool. As the float goes down the water tops up to the level you have set it to and it seemed to work.

Old 10-09-2010, 05:48 PM

924 posts, read 1,278,272 times
Default Pool Auto Fill

I have checked around and the one I found that works the best is the Poolkeeper by marpac.com you can find them on the web cheaper than the factory just check around. I had my plumber put a hose bib right next to the pool and then attached it with a short garden hose from Lowes. Has worked great for two years now.

Old 10-10-2010, 09:15 AM

918 posts, read 1,618,154 times
There are two widely used pool fillers that use the hose water. I have used both. the poolkeeper is smaller sized and was more quiet than the the other when filling the pool. but the wife didnt like having the hose stretched out across the pool deck.

Old 10-11-2010, 11:54 AM

14,193 posts, read 27,121,707 times
I get this. At least you didn't end up flooded like I did.....

Out pool turned green due to a problem with the salt cell. Pool guy said to drain and chlorine wash. He set it up to drain and left. We went out to get chemicals. When we came home the house was flooded because his connection to the drain had given way. Ugly turn of events!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas