Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2013, 07:55 AM

9,376 posts, read 11,943,971 times
Who knows? Americans are not like the English, Tesco may have failed here too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2013, 08:22 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,114,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV;29193692

[B
Frankly, when I first went to Fresh and Easy, I decided that the Tesco execs said, "Whatever, it's America. They're idiots," in a boardroom meeting when they created Fresh and Easy.
[/b]
Well, to be fair, we do buy bottled tap water.

Old 04-19-2013, 01:09 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,280,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
I still say that if Tesco took ANY Tesco in the UK and plopped it down in America, they'd do just fine. Tesco is like a mash-up of Whole Foods, Winco, Trader Joe's, Costco, Smith's and the Mexican markets (their produce in the UK is unparalleled). In addition, they sell nice lunches and dinners -- buy one and then go someplace and microwave it or just eat it on a train. Tesco is my go-to when I'm in the UK. They're simply brilliant. When I travel to the UK, which I do often, my first stop after clearing customs is usually a Tesco.

Fresh and Easy is NOTHING like Tesco. And that's why they failed. Their entire philosophy is clearly "anti-Tesco." Tesco execs: "We will set up a chain of grocery stores in America that is NOTHING like the stores we run at home. This will surely work."

Frankly, when I first went to Fresh and Easy, I decided that the Tesco execs said, "Whatever, it's America. They're idiots," in a boardroom meeting when they created Fresh and Easy.
Actually, the idiot was the person from Tesco that they sent to the USA to represent the new concept of Fresh and Easy stores. This person stayed with an American family that was *supposed* to represent how all Americans eat. This family did not cook, and only bought ready made meals. Convenience foods. Not a very good representation of people as a whole here in the USA.
And that is why it failed I would say. They focused too much on that.
Other problems they ran into were there were no cashiers. I personally like to bag my own groceries. Americans as a whole more or less like someone to do it for them. They could have had half cashier lines and half self checkout. And they should have had better tahini. They did have tahini, but it was a weird tasting one, nothing like the better brands like maranatha and others.
But otherwise the store was good. Yes, it would have been better to have Tesco stores. I would have liked that too.
Now we will be forced back to regular stores with their higher prices on things we could buy there much cheaper. So you won't miss it, but many other people will. To each their own.

Old 04-19-2013, 01:41 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,989,895 times
So they basically sent Jeremy Clarkson as their point man for a $1.8 billion operation.

Pardon me while I break out the world's smallest violin.

Old 04-19-2013, 02:34 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,155,087 times

Motorola DynaTAC 8000x

Old 04-20-2013, 05:40 AM

I'm hoping the stores are going to be purchased. The last thing we need is more unoccupied retail space. When I drive around the valley, it makes me sad to see the economic carnage that the recession left in it's wake.

Old 04-20-2013, 09:50 PM

207 posts, read 508,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
I'm hoping the stores are going to be purchased. The last thing we need is more unoccupied retail space. When I drive around the valley, it makes me sad to see the economic carnage that the recession left in it's wake.
The carnage isn't caused solely by the recession. The bigger part of the blame lies with the builders and speculators and scammers who over sold and over built. In other words, many of the vacant buildings and storefronts should have never been built in the first place.

Old 04-21-2013, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovegarlic View Post
The carnage isn't caused solely by the recession. The bigger part of the blame lies with the builders and speculators and scammers who over sold and over built. In other words, many of the vacant buildings and storefronts should have never been built in the first place.
I agree, but it still bothers me to drive through some of the neighborhoods I grew up in and see so many vacant properties. These aren't places that sprung up during the boom, but older properties that used to be quite decent. Nostalgia. I guess I am getting old.

Old 09-10-2013, 05:53 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,836,242 times
British-based Fresh & Easy sells to U.S. firm - Local News - Las Vegas, NV | NBC News

A new owner for F & E

Old 09-10-2013, 10:05 PM

700 posts, read 1,329,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
Actually, the idiot was the person from Tesco that they sent to the USA to represent the new concept of Fresh and Easy stores. This person stayed with an American family that was *supposed* to represent how all Americans eat. This family did not cook, and only bought ready made meals. Convenience foods. Not a very good representation of people as a whole here in the USA.
And that is why it failed I would say. They focused too much on that.
Other problems they ran into were there were no cashiers. I personally like to bag my own groceries. Americans as a whole more or less like someone to do it for them. They could have had half cashier lines and half self checkout. And they should have had better tahini. They did have tahini, but it was a weird tasting one, nothing like the better brands like maranatha and others.
But otherwise the store was good. Yes, it would have been better to have Tesco stores. I would have liked that too.
Now we will be forced back to regular stores with their higher prices on things we could buy there much cheaper. So you won't miss it, but many other people will. To each their own.
Im not sure what the "typical" American family is like, but everyday during rush hour I can see lines of cars snaking around every fast food joint on a given street. Even people that supposedly eat at home are perhaps eating frozen food or the rice-a-roni type meals. And to be fair, a lot of western europe has gone this way too. And the ready meals are 10 times better in the UK than they are here...and Tescos are usually considered the worst ones but are still better than whole foods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas