Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 04:49 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,886,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
So much for the "industry experts" who thought that Tesco would march into the US market and in a couple of years, be a major player.

Personally, I would shutter the entire chain and come back with stores very similar to those offered in the UK along with a solid online business.
Kind of hard to be a major player when your first markets are among the worst hit areas of the housing bubble. People in So Cal though will drive 10-15 miles to go to these stores so there is certainly a market. But they seemed to make Vegas their #1 market off the bat so hard to act surprised when they have to adjust their plans a bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2010, 05:06 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,244,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
I think many people don't know what they are and never venture inside. So get your butt in there and check it out already lvd!
I think you missed something here? I go to the Fresh and Easy and Warm Springs and Eastern and have shopped there a few times recently. Just as I finally found a way to patronize the store considering their horrible store hours, they close it on me. On Saturday and Sunday, I work 3pm-11pm so I leave 15 minutes early and stop by there for a small grocery run on the way to work. We have 3 large refrigerators at work so it works out just fine. I still do my main shopping at Smith's and Sunflower, but I try to get the best value at each store.

Old 10-11-2010, 08:14 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,286,775 times
LVD, I skimmed over your post and you said that you finally are going to go to one and now it's closing. So maybe you need to be a bit clearer in your posts. You shouldn't wait until the end of the world to venture outside.

Old 10-11-2010, 08:49 PM

23,221 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Since I work the night shift, off at 6am, and do all my grocery shopping on the way home from work, any store I shop at for groceries better be open at 6am, or they're out of luck. Once home, I ain't budging the rest of the day, not even for T-bones at 99 cents a pound!

Old 10-11-2010, 09:25 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
Kind of hard to be a major player when your first markets are among the worst hit areas of the housing bubble. People in So Cal though will drive 10-15 miles to go to these stores so there is certainly a market. But they seemed to make Vegas their #1 market off the bat so hard to act surprised when they have to adjust their plans a bit.
Let's see.

Tesco UK announces that they are going to start a concept in the US in 2004-2005.

They send an entire staff to the US to set up a sourcing/logistics network and another staff to identify potential store locations.

They keep everything hush-hush to the public but lead everyone on to believe that it will be a real killer.

They end up opening stores in Socal, Las Vegas, and Phoenix. That was THEIR choice. They put stores in some of the most unbelievable locations in these markets. Almost immediately, they underperform ALL expectations.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:34 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,946,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
This flat out sucks. Desert Inn and Pecos is the closet one by my house. I have never been there but planned to. I frequently stop by the one on Warm Springs and Eastern on the weekends when I work the day shift since it is right by my work. Now there are NONE even remotely close to me (Flamingo and Maryland). As far as the one on Tropicana and Eastern that is "coming soon", they have said that on their website for the last 3 years.

Here is there current store list. They have 20 stores, but now it will only be 14.

fresh and easy las vegas nv Yellow Pages/Online Phone Book, Search Local Business Listings @ DexKnows.com™
Here is the post where he said he frequents the other one. I had to do a double take too!

Old 10-11-2010, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Let's see.

Tesco UK announces that they are going to start a concept in the US in 2004-2005.

They send an entire staff to the US to set up a sourcing/logistics network and another staff to identify potential store locations.

They keep everything hush-hush to the public but lead everyone on to believe that it will be a real killer.

They end up opening stores in Socal, Las Vegas, and Phoenix. That was THEIR choice. They put stores in some of the most unbelievable locations in these markets. Almost immediately, they underperform ALL expectations.
Sounds like you have a personal grudge against them. They opened stores in many undesirable locations so people that needed stores in their area had one. They also have a few stores in Utah, and I hope they expand to southern Utah.
They aren't trying to take over the world. If you want to ***** and moan about stores like that, do it to Walmart. They are trying to take over the world.

Old 10-11-2010, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Since I work the night shift, off at 6am, and do all my grocery shopping on the way home from work, any store I shop at for groceries better be open at 6am, or they're out of luck. Once home, I ain't budging the rest of the day, not even for T-bones at 99 cents a pound!
I am the same way. I get off at 6:30 am and do not want to leave the house during the day. I go to Smiths first and then Sunflower opens at 7 am which I go to next.

Old 10-11-2010, 11:59 PM

You people that have a Sunflower market near you have it made. We do not have one near us, and it looks like it will be forever before they give us a store out here, so we just go about once every 2 months since it is clear across the valley.
Those of you lucky enough to live near a Trader Joe's are also quite lucky. The closest one to us is on Washington and Buffalo, another long drive. Count yourselves lucky and go often.
Whole Foods is another store we really like, and that is also quite a drive. So be happy you all have stores that we do not have way up here in Aliante. Fresh and Easy and Smiths is the closest. F&E being #1 and Smiths #2 in preference.

Old 10-12-2010, 12:32 AM

Sunflower is great since they have cheap organic produce. The one by my house does have a problem though with keeping past due produce though so it is hit and miss. I really wish they would keep up on it better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas