Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 02:37 PM

762 posts, read 1,562,309 times

Advertisements

I have a remote fan when I get hot, high, cold, low and dh doesn't even know it while he sleeps peacefully away. It is the best invention since chocolate
ahhhh the wonders of aging.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 02:41 PM

487 posts, read 747,303 times
I believe hot air rises and cold air falls. That's why it's cold downstairs and hot upstairs

Old 10-12-2010, 04:11 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,049,517 times
I have a "walk-out" basement, 2-level house. Surprisingly, I hardly ever have to use the A/C nor furnace in the basement even though the exposure is to the WSW. In the summer, it's always very cool downstairs. On days that are 110 when the main level A/C is trying to keep up with the cooling to 82-85 , the basement is around 85 or less all day long.

In the winter when it's near or below freezing when I might have to run the furnace to keep the main level comfortable, the basement is actually toasty without any help from the furnace. I suppose it's because part of it is "underground."

There's almost as much finished square footage in the basement as there is on the main level and it opens up to the backyard. I realize that not all lots can accommodate a walk-out or daylight rambler (a lot with grade sloping downward?) but I wouldn't hesitate buying another 2-level walk-out again.

Old 10-12-2010, 04:21 PM

3,728 posts, read 9,474,424 times
Those walk out basements are almost non existent here in Las Vegas, rocco, I don't know why they weren't built a lot here in the valley.

But I do remember seeing a model home here in town that DID have it, somewhere around Robindale, S. Jones area... and I think the builder was America West.

What a neat idea it is, I'd love to have one of those walk outs.

Old 10-12-2010, 06:13 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
I am a huge fan of basements, especially walk outs. It would be a great way to save AC dollars here but they just don't seem to build them. It's also great for shiftworkers who need a dark, cool place to sleep during the day! I used my basement more than the main house!

Old 10-12-2010, 06:36 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
There are a few along Grand Canyon around Ann. The road along one stretch has almost a cliff to the east. There is also a great lot on La Madre near there that has been filled to a perfect setup for a walkout...and the upper floor will have an unobstructed strip view.

They are not common but do exist. Particularly around 215 in the west side of the NW.

Old 10-12-2010, 07:08 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,355,457 times
My buddy built one at Red Rock CC.

Where we come from at least half the homes have basements, but I've never heard the term walk-out. I assume that only means it has a door to the outside? Don't they all?

My neighbors also had coal chutes, coal bins for storing a load of coal for the coal furnaces, and it was fun to get all dirty sliding down the chutes and playing in the bins ...except for when your mom spanked you for it.

A lot of people still do more cooking in the basement than the kitchen. Canning vegetables down there becomes a big party,

Old 10-12-2010, 09:16 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
My buddy built one at Red Rock CC.

Where we come from at least half the homes have basements, but I've never heard the term walk-out. I assume that only means it has a door to the outside? Don't they all?

My neighbors also had coal chutes, coal bins for storing a load of coal for the coal furnaces, and it was fun to get all dirty sliding down the chutes and playing in the bins ...except for when your mom spanked you for it.

A lot of people still do more cooking in the basement than the kitchen. Canning vegetables down there becomes a big party,
Yup, walk out is a door to the outside and no, all basements don't have them. Walkout basements also have real windows.

I still remember my grandma canning in the basement where it was cool.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:46 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,049,517 times
The term "walk-out" must be a regional thing. The first time I head it used was when I came to Nevada. I've more often heard them called "daylight ramblers" elsewhere because from the front, they appear to be a one level house and you wouldn't really know they had a lower level until you looked at the sides or the back of the house.

Their main floor is more often than not, the same floor plan as a one-level home with the lower floor being used as a rec room, or for additional bedrooms, or a MIL apartment, or a guest quarters, etc.

I think the only lot they'd be feasible to be built on would be one with a relatively dramatic slope downward. I really like that style but as I say, it would be next to impossible to be built on a level lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas