Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2009, 06:20 PM

13 posts, read 69,596 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We recently purchased a new home and have quite a bit of tile / grout we need to seal. We'd also like to get our marble and granite sealed by the same company. If you've done business with one and loved them, please let me know!!!

Also, if you've done it yourself, what products did you use?

Thanks!
Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 03:37 PM

444 posts, read 1,616,127 times
I did it myself in NC. The people at Home Depot guided me on products and instructions. It was a very simple project.

Old 03-20-2009, 10:37 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,070,740 times
can't advise on marble, but I used a product called Plaza sealant on my brick (and grouted) floor, as recommended by a tile guy I know....the brick is real brick material but much thinner (paver)...rustic, sort of....

extremely easy to do it myself....pour a bit in a bucket and dip a clean mop into it and spread it around....then do it again a couple more times after it dries....very shiny result, if that's what you want.....

may find it at a household chemical supply place....

Old 10-26-2010, 08:42 AM

1,410 posts, read 3,321,538 times
For the past week, I have been having new tile put down throughout my house. The tiler ran out of sealer and sent me to Home Depot or Lowe's to pick more up. He said it is ALL the same. Came in matte or high luster finish. Costs $10.99 a quart and he put it down by using a roller extension stick with a tiny thin roller.

Old 10-26-2010, 10:14 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,879,709 times
Most certainly all products are NOT the same - unless the vendor puts two different labels on the same chemical formulation.

There are many chemical manufacturers who each offer product lines - and within each product line you'll find value products for the price conscious, premium products for those who want superior performance, products that are more DIY-friendly and products that focus on the pro-installer for whom labor is the highest cost of a bid and the product helps minimize labor hours required.

Try using Google & Bing to search for forums for pro installers & do a little reading & you 'll be a well educated consumer.

Old 10-26-2010, 02:39 PM

1,410 posts, read 3,321,538 times
I'll have to forward your post about not all tile sealers having the same ingredients to my tile pro. Here he has been doing this work for years and he thought Lowe's $10.99 sealer had the same ingredients as Home Depot's $10.99 sealer.

Old 10-26-2010, 03:15 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,879,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjameson922 View Post
I'll have to forward your post about not all tile sealers having the same ingredients to my tile pro. Here he has been doing this work for years and he thought Lowe's $10.99 sealer had the same ingredients as Home Depot's $10.99 sealer.
It is certainly possible - but only if they are supplied by the same chemical vendor. My point was that there are many chemical vendors, each of whom create varying chemical compositions.

In general the stuff at Lowe's and Home Depot are both DIY-friendly products. I'm surprised a pro installer would make them his product of choice.

See for example http://www.miraclesealants.com/index.html among other websites you'll find using a search engine. They have a wide variety of products for sealing.

Old 10-26-2010, 04:44 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,052,656 times
This is an easy but time consuming DIY project.

First make sure your surface is clean and grit free. This is a project in itself. Then apply the sealer to a small area, maybe 3 to 5 sf. Let it mostly dry and then buff with a clean soft cloth. This will give you the best possible finish.

For small areas, I apply the sealer to the grout with an artist's paintbrush and then buff. This makes sure the sealer really gets into the grout.

If you have areas where the grout dried too much and left a film on the tile/stone, magic eraser works well for the final cleaning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas