Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 02:42 PM

34 posts, read 113,510 times

Advertisements

I'd like to see what percentage of students taking the proficiency tests actually attended Las Vegas schools from the start. With a population boom, I'm guessing there are kids new to the district taking the tests. That's the problem with looking at test scores to evaluate a school. The "accountibility" should really be placed on the district where the student learned the material. Rock on NCLB!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2007, 02:58 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,200,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ou812girl View Post
I'd like to see what percentage of students taking the proficiency tests actually attended Las Vegas schools from the start. With a population boom, I'm guessing there are kids new to the district taking the tests. That's the problem with looking at test scores to evaluate a school. The "accountibility" should really be placed on the district where the student learned the material. Rock on NCLB!
Not real hard to figure. About 3 percent of the population is new each year. Presuming the same percentage of children we get about 20% or so in 6 years. So one would expect the that elementary graduates are about 80% in the system from day one.

Old 07-06-2007, 05:57 PM

818 posts, read 3,698,255 times
If you love your kids, send them to private school?

This is the second thread you've posted this garbage! I guess you'll go to any lengths to justify why you spend so much money on a school that is only marginally better than the ones your tax dollars are paying for! But at least your kids know you love them. Tens of thousands in this city have no love apparently!

Old 07-06-2007, 09:09 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,575,239 times
True my cousin had to travel 13 miles away to find a average school because he lived(s) in NLV.Also there is a great deal of weapons incidents at most schools

Old 07-06-2007, 10:28 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,200,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jksouthbay88 View Post
True my cousin had to travel 13 miles away to find a average school because he lived(s) in NLV.Also there is a great deal of weapons incidents at most schools

what ever turns your cousin on. There are a half dozen top flight schools in NLV or within a few miles of it. I suppose you can travel 13 miles to find an average school but would it not make more sense to put your kids into an above average school much closer? Your cousin named Vinny?

Old 07-12-2007, 05:41 PM

1 posts, read 1,722 times
Default Oh my gosh- the schools are really bad in Vegas?

My husband and I have chosen to move to Vegas (clark county) because 1) gangs have become a huge problem in the area we live in & 2) housing cost. My 14yr (going on 15) son started hanging around the 'bad' crowd and we desperately need to get him out of here. We also want to purchase a home and living in Ca, that seems impossible. Vegas was chosen because of my employer, as I would be able to keep my position and relocate. But I'm worried now that I've read these comments about the schools in Vegas. Is this really true? I don't want to remove him from somewhere only to put him back in the same environment. Help!

Old 07-12-2007, 06:46 PM

818 posts, read 3,698,255 times
Unfortunately, I don't think you're going to be able to remove your son from any potential trouble by moving to another state. Hopefully, with a fresh start, he'll find some new friends with better things to do than get in trouble, but if he wants to go looking for it and he's unsupervised, he's surely going to find whatever it is you don't want him involved in.

Even if it were Mayberry and not Las Vegas we were talking about, this is the 21st century - drugs, alcohol, violence, and any other unsavory thing you can imagine is out there. Your son needs to learn to live in a world with these things and learn to not get involved. That is a skill that he can learn anywhere - with help of course. Get him involved in extracurricular activities after school and stay on top of his attendance at these activities. He can't be getting into trouble if he's busy doing something else.

Good luck!

Old 08-13-2007, 10:42 PM

542 posts, read 1,928,716 times
Someone mentioned getting your child into honors classes. What test results do you need to bring for that to happen? Or does the school just look at previous grade cards?? My daughter will be entering the 5th grade, I'm not sure where I will be living however I do like the places I've seen online that said they were on the Southwest side of town. What are the names of the top schools in that area??

Old 08-14-2007, 12:52 AM

2,404 posts, read 10,686,340 times
You won't hit honors classes until 6th grade, it used to be that stanines would classify eligibility, but now its mainly on teacher recommendation or parents will tell the counselor to put them into honors...

There's no real prerequisites anymore to get into them...Even if a teacher doesn't recommend a student, it doesn't matter, they can just sign a form saying that they'll enroll in honors and stay in it for the whole semester...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: