Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 01:46 PM

399 posts, read 1,026,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I think I live in some kind of a 'hole'.....for lack of a better description. We don't get much cell service at home either. Even if we go out in the yard.

Did you go to the antennaweb.org website and put your address in to see what it says you should be able to receive from that location?

If you can't get anything no matter what antenna you buy or how you point it, then the economy cable package from Cox for $16 per month is the next cheapest thing.

Old 10-21-2010, 04:04 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,316,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I agree we are charged too much. Way too much. But I haven't been able to find a better alternative. I got rid of cable and only have internet now but still, $47 per month is a lot.

I bought a digital antenna, hoping I could get by with that. All I wanted was the basic local stations. But I can't get even ONE of them. So that doesn't necessarily work either.

I will probably get Dish or Direct TV eventually. They seem to be a better value than Cox.
If you're paying that much for a DSL line now, you might want to consider watching TV strictly through a computer. I have DirecTV that my elderly mother who lives with me needs because she watches sports in real time (she isn't about to go to a bar for the big games). But if she wasn't here, I wouldn't have satellite or cable. Zillions of movies and TV shows are currently available for free from sites like HULU -- and not just old ones. You can also get an online subscription to a service like NetFlix for about $10 for very recent films, plus indies and foreign films. News is accessible through streaming on news stations' sites. If you don't want to watch on your computer screen, you can hook a laptop up to a regular TV screen. I bought a new laptop for the price of one year's cable bill that I use almost exclusively for entertainment. I use it wirelessly and can carry my shows all over the house -- or even to bed. I can watch/record high def DVDs (that I get free from the library) on it.

You have to invest some time organizing your system, and it takes awhile to get used to it, but ultimately you have a lot more flexibility, it's much cheaper, and you can kiss cable/satellite good-bye. And, believe me, I'm no tech whiz. Plenty of smart minds are now being dedicated to preventing you from taking advantage of this bargain, but so far only sports conglomerates have succeeded.

Old 10-21-2010, 05:33 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,567,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I have DirecTV that my elderly mother who lives with me needs because she watches sports in real time (she isn't about to go to a bar for the big games).
That's a new one.

Old 10-21-2010, 09:13 PM

194 posts, read 398,141 times
I need live CNN, or at least broadcast HD sitcoms and news etc... But sites like Hulu are definitely awesome if your on a budget and have fast net. It's just not real 1080i+ HD from what i've seen.

woot, called, got my bill down from $100 to $60 while we're gone. $7.50 x 2 per box rental is just dumb when I paid a $200 install. Funny, they even gave me old boxes without the hdmi output and I caught it. Lame!

Old 10-21-2010, 11:09 PM

399 posts, read 1,026,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe2ofus View Post
we absolutely refuse to get sucked into the tv wars.
we have cox internet at $33 per month. we have an antenna for the tv.
we used to have netflix. maybe we'll get it again, maybe not.
never ever again will we pay $100 per month for tv.
If you have a wireless laptop, you can sit on the couch and watch internet video from Hulu and Netflix with something like a Veebeam.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PV_1Ju-vPSk

Old 02-17-2014, 04:30 PM

611 posts, read 951,045 times
We are seasonal and only at our place for various months off and on throughout the year. I didn't want to bother with disconnection and reconnection so I called Cox. I have what they call the "Economy Package" which is about $80 for my landline, Internet, and cable channels (quite a large package with lots of HD channels - no movie stations). I hate that I would have to pay for dvr (pvr) as it is an extra and I kind of miss that but it's sufficient.

Old 02-17-2014, 06:03 PM

625 posts, read 797,018 times
Pay $93 for 25 mpbs and a decent cable package. Ive heard all the complaints about Cox when I first got here, but their internet is super reliable. Never had an issue with anything.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:31 PM

3,598 posts, read 4,948,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bps401 View Post
Pay $93 for 25 mpbs and a decent cable package. Ive heard all the complaints about Cox when I first got here, but their internet is super reliable. Never had an issue with anything.
According to this, your plan only gives you 5Mbps and jumps to $120/month after the trial period.
https://store.cox.com/residential-store/shop.cox?dc=w

Old 02-17-2014, 10:29 PM

2,457 posts, read 4,722,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logline View Post
According to this, your plan only gives you 5Mbps and jumps to $120/month after the trial period.
https://store.cox.com/residential-store/shop.cox?dc=w

Depends on what plan you get. I have 25/5 internet, local phone and basic cable 25 channels with HBO and Starz and the movie package and two HD box rentals and my total is $98 for the next year.

Old 02-18-2014, 01:26 PM

2,880 posts, read 2,806,399 times
call them up directly and ask for the FlexTV with internet package. I did this recently. my total bill for the month is $42.07... it's basic tv, but it includes HBO and Starz. My internet is very fast
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: