Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 06:04 PM

17 posts, read 56,768 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I are moving to Las Vegas in February and trying to get a plan together of where we're going to look - but have some questions.

First - We're going to be living there for 3-4 years. Would you recommend buying or renting? We'd be first time homeowners if we bought, but we're financially stable and would be able to do it. Just don't want to end up losing money on a place when we move again....

Second - any areas that you would recommend for good safe homes? He's going to be travelling a lot, leaving me home alone frequently, so safety is a big concern for me. He's going to be working at Nellis Air Force Base, and I'm not sure where I'll be working yet, but we're both willing to drive extra to be in a good area. With the crime stats I'm finding online I'm really getting unsure about where we can find a good home. We've looked at places in Summerlin, any other suggested areas?

And hey, if anyone knows of any available jobs for a Bilingual Speech Language Pathologist, i'd appreciate any leads
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 06:35 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,161,845 times

Keywords- Nellis, Air Force, military, safe, commute, neighborhoods, crime.

(╯°□°)╯ ︵ ┻━┻

Old 06-19-2013, 08:09 PM

629 posts, read 1,175,729 times
I use this site for searches -- it's not the full MLS but it's the consumer-facing version of it and it's updated much quicker than sites like Realtor/Redfin:

Las Vegas Homes Search - property listings -Las Vegas MLS Search

Not sure about buying now because many people believe the current 40% price surge over the last year is due to artificial scarcity.

Good luck!

Old 06-19-2013, 09:20 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,809,783 times
I would not get near the buy/rent decision at this point. This is a wild market and no one has the faintest idea where it will be early next year. If you were buying now I would say go for it. But next year is going to be different.

The standard advice for people needing Nellis access is north of Craig and west of the 15. Go way west for the nicest neighborhoods...closer to do it less expensively.

Old 06-20-2013, 11:20 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,966,310 times
First off only buy with a spouse. Boyfriends and girl friends have no real commitment. If by chance you go ahead and buy with a boyfriend it would be a good idea to speak with an Attorney first and get an agreement on paper. It's always easy to get into something but not always easy to unwind something if need be.

Old 06-20-2013, 11:27 PM

670 posts, read 1,105,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
First off only buy with a spouse. Boyfriends and girl friends have no real commitment. If by chance you go ahead and buy with a boyfriend it would be a good idea to speak with an Attorney first and get an agreement on paper. It's always easy to get into something but not always easy to unwind something if need be.
This.

It can be difficult enough to get out of an apartment when boyfriend/girlfriend I can't imagine getting out of a house!

Old 06-20-2013, 11:41 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,809,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtvette View Post
This.

It can be difficult enough to get out of an apartment when boyfriend/girlfriend I can't imagine getting out of a house!
I had a couple of friends that went by Smith and Jones Enterprises. NOt married but incorporated. Their legal and financial situation led them to live together incorporated rather than marry...a very nice home in Brentwood with a second floor hot tub that I expect cost more than the median house in Las Vegas.

My mother was together with her good friend for ten years. She would not marry him as she feared she was on the list of people where the IRS watched their tax return. He was virtually certain to end up in trouble if not in jail for certain tax activities that should not have happened.

My Sister married 40 years ago because the English were going to throw her out as an illegal alien. She is now a dual citizen..

The unmarried state is more common than most know. We often deal with it in the senior community....where marriage is often avoided because it screws up the estate planning.

YOu do need to be adult about it however. It has less permanence than marriage. Though not by much.

Old 06-21-2013, 01:07 PM

17 posts, read 56,768 times
Actually, because of our financial situation, if we bought a house together we already decided the best plan would be for him to buy the house, so technically it would be his house that I'm staying in (and paying rent).

We're just going back and forth about whether the hassle of buying/selling is worth it, or if we should just stick with renting.

Old 06-21-2013, 02:24 PM

186 posts, read 434,431 times
I'm biased against home owning honestly. I don't call renting throwing away money. I call it buying freedom, especially if you don't plan to live somewhere long term.

A friend asked my opinion about a year ago. He planned to stay where he was long term, but not indefinitely. He was recently offered an amazing job in Europe. Never would've thought that would happen a year ago but now he's moving and so glad he didn't buy a house.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk 2

Old 06-21-2013, 02:46 PM

3,598 posts, read 4,951,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13blackcats View Post
I'm biased against home owning honestly. I don't call renting throwing away money. I call it buying freedom, especially if you don't plan to live somewhere long term.

A friend asked my opinion about a year ago. He planned to stay where he was long term, but not indefinitely. He was recently offered an amazing job in Europe. Never would've thought that would happen a year ago but now he's moving and so glad he didn't buy a house.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk 2
"Buying freedom"... yeah right... it's money down the drain no matter how you spin it.

If he bought that house a year ago, he would have made a PROFIT and still would be able to go to Europe today. You gave your friend bad advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas