Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 09:41 AM

1,410 posts, read 3,319,508 times

Advertisements

Thank you Mad Man, that happens to exactly be what my complaint is. Makes a major difference is you are 55 and all your neighbors are 85.

A great list of local retirement communities with pictures and stats can be found by keying in Fine Millie. It also includes current listings, prices and all floor plans of homes built in that community. Now that I have made a good many of the improvements to this home, if I could get out with any profit I would strongly consider Sienna. I understand to try and combat the 80 plus age here in Sun City, there was a vote a few years ago to lower the age limit to 50 and it was terribly outvoted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2010, 10:35 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,018,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjameson922 View Post
Thank you Mad Man, that happens to exactly be what my complaint is. Makes a major difference is you are 55 and all your neighbors are 85.
Yep, that's one the main reasons that my wife and I dismissed the idea of living in a 55+ community at this point in our lives.

Quote:
I understand to try and combat the 80 plus age here in Sun City, there was a vote a few years ago to lower the age limit to 50 and it was terribly outvoted.
If the point of the vote was to lower the overall age restriction from 55+ to 50+, that would not have been legal. Federal law only allows discrimination against families or other age groups when a community restricts its residents to 55+. (However, the law allows up to 20% of the residences to be occupied by people who are under 55.)

If the point of the vote was to lower the age to 50, but still try to maintain the 80/20 ratio of residences where at least one person was over 55+, that might have been too difficult to monitor. And then if fewer than 80% of the residences ultimately failed to meet this requirement due to the arrival of too many under 55 residents, then Sun City would lose its age-restriction status completely.

Old 10-31-2010, 12:54 AM

393 posts, read 503,896 times
What neighborhoods should I stay away from when looking for a condo in Vegas?

Old 10-31-2010, 02:04 AM

848 posts, read 1,724,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
I think you missed the point of the other person's complaint about SC Summerlin having older residents; the point being SC Summerlin has older residents for a 55+ community, not for communities in general. Since it has been around longer than other 55+ communities, the original 55+ residents have aged in place whereas the newer 55+ communities have residents that are mostly in their 50s & 60s (as opposed to late 60s, 70s & 80s).
You seem to be the one who missed the point of communities that are 55+. These Sun City communities were planned for the retirees and not necessarily for younger demographics. Just in case you overlooked its target market, it is 55+ and not 25+. These Sun City communities in Nevada, AZ and beyond were developed not for the younger demographics and was NEVER advertised for the younger demographics.

Old 10-31-2010, 08:22 AM

1,410 posts, read 3,319,508 times
JHiker, I get the drift you are somehow part of the conceptulizing of these retirement communities because your above post reads like marketing material on "build it and they will come." Everything you write is well and good but the bottom line is, I live in one of them and the number of years between 55 and 85 is a generous spread. Thirty years to be exact and it is like I am the child and "they" are the parents. The other day I undertook a personal experiment. We have four fitness centers and I decided to visit each of them at 7 in the morning. I found the same to be true at all of them; a few elderly people working out at each gym. I pretended I was looking for someone and walked out. That is not my environment or friend base. If the intention of these retirement communities is for those who live there to flourish, there also has to be a great common denominator in age. I don't want to hang around with my parents. And now that I live here, it stands to reason that if a community is 15 - 20 years old and it began attracting residents then who were 55, the majority of them are now going to be 75-80 years old. That is the premise of what Mad Man and I are saying. Live in the newer retirement communities and you are going to get a younger demographic. Realizing that now, after the fact, I began to seriously check out Sienna. What I learned is that also has a downside for me with HOA fees double what I now pay, less social clubs offered and comparable floor plans having less square footage, less goodies and at a higher price point.

Old 10-31-2010, 08:26 AM

1 posts, read 2,012 times
Default Tax Attorney

mod cut:

I admire the way you express yourself through writing. Your post is such a refreshing one to read. This is such an interesting and informative article to share with others. Keep up the good work and more power. Thanks!

Last edited by scirocco22; 10-31-2010 at 02:20 PM.. Reason: self-promotion not allowed

Old 10-31-2010, 08:48 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,498,624 times

Old 10-31-2010, 11:43 AM

Quote:
I think you missed the point of the other person's complaint about SC Summerlin having older residents; the point being SC Summerlin has older residents for a 55+ community, not for communities in general. Since it has been around longer than other 55+ communities, the original 55+ residents have aged in place whereas the newer 55+ communities have residents that are mostly in their 50s & 60s (as opposed to late 60s, 70s & 80s).
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhiker1o View Post
You seem to be the one who missed the point of communities that are 55+. These Sun City communities were planned for the retirees and not necessarily for younger demographics. Just in case you overlooked its target market, it is 55+ and not 25+. These Sun City communities in Nevada, AZ and beyond were developed not for the younger demographics and was NEVER advertised for the younger demographics.
Wow, that went right over your head, didn't it? Try reading my post again - - -this time v-e-r-y...s-l-o-w-l-y. You might understand it this time.

Here, let me give you some help: no one is talking about 25+ demographics. We're talking about the difference between people in their 50s & 60s to people in their 70s & 80s. I repeat, no one is discussing people in their 20s, 30s, or even 40s. This isn't really a difficult concept. I'm sure if you concentrate a little more on the words that you are reading, you'll be able to figure it out.

Old 10-31-2010, 11:49 AM

2,724 posts, read 4,764,096 times
Quote:
Wow, that went right over your head, didn't it? Try reading my post again - - -this time v-e-r-y...s-l-o-w-l-y. You might understand it this time.

Here, let me give you some help: no one is talking about 25+ demographics. We're talking about the difference between people in their 50s & 60s to people in their 70s & 80s. I repeat, no one is discussing people in their 20s, 30s, or even 40s. This isn't really a difficult concept. I'm sure if you concentrate a little more on the words that you are reading, you'll be able to figure it out.

Retirement is dangerous to your health. The loss of status, the change of pattern and lifestyle almost invariably produce disturbing internal reactions that may cause emotional or physical symptoms.

Old 10-31-2010, 11:51 AM

Quote:
And now that I live here, it stands to reason that if a community is 15 - 20 years old and it began attracting residents then who were 55, the majority of them are now going to be 75-80 years old. That is the premise of what Mad Man and I are saying. Live in the newer retirement communities and you are going to get a younger demographic.
Be careful jjameson, jhiker is likely to once again misconstrue what you mean by "younger demographic." You need to be explicit with him or he is likely to go off again about how these communities weren't built for the 25+ younger demographic. You and I (and anyone else who reads your paragraph) will understand that you are talking about the 55-60 year olds as being the younger demographic; Jhiker not so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas