Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 06:09 AM

334 posts, read 661,899 times

Advertisements

This question may well have been asked already, but here it goes again. My wife and I had planned to retire to St. Pete, FL but some of the major reasons for us going there have vanished (all of our friends have moved, flood insurance has skyrocketted, etc) and we were thinking of buying a small home in Las Vegas. Does anyone have an opinion on this? We have no relatives there either. I know this is a real general question, but what would a small home cost in a decent safe neib? Any other advice, or insight about Las Vegas from people who live there would be so very welcome. My wife is concerend about crime, but I know that many times crime is over stated by sensationalist writers. I thank you for reading this and thank you for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2010, 08:08 AM

1,410 posts, read 3,317,694 times
Dino, have to be more specific before anyone can help. What do you consider a small home, what price do you want to pay, what are you looking for in neighborhood amenities, how much can you put out monthly for HOA fees, master plan fees and property taxes and what does high crime mean to you? There is a crime incidence map available here where you can check by zipcode and by type of crime.

Old 10-25-2010, 11:11 AM

89 posts, read 267,886 times
The best way to check about crime is to review the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police website. Here's the web address:

CrimeView Community Incident Map : Las Vegas Metro Police Department

It allows you to put in an address and then check a radius around it. You can check specific crimes/incidents over a range of dates. It is very informative.

As for areas of town, it does depend a lot on personal taste, but Summerlin and the Lakes are nice areas (in my opinion). There's a map view you can use on Realtor.com that allows you to zero in on areas you think you might like (and you can narrow your search by price). You then can key the addresses of homes you like into the Crime View site to see what's been happening around them.

As for price, you should be able to get a very nice small home in a nice area for under (even way under) $200k.

Old 10-25-2010, 05:03 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,340,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino1 View Post
This question may well have been asked already, but here it goes again. My wife and I had planned to retire to St. Pete, FL but some of the major reasons for us going there have vanished (all of our friends have moved, flood insurance has skyrocketed, etc) and we were thinking of buying a small home in Las Vegas. Does anyone have an opinion on this? We have no relatives there either. I know this is a real general question, but what would a small home cost in a decent safe neib? Any other advice, or insight about Las Vegas from people who live there would be so very welcome. My wife is concerned about crime, but I know that many times crime is over stated by sensationalist writers. I thank you for reading this and thank you for your time.
I don't know where you are from, but I'm betting that crime there is just as bad, if not worse, than Las Vegas, and I'm almost sure it would be in Tampa/St. Petersburg, FL. It's average here for a town of 2 million. And you won't die from humidity, mosquitoes, or alligators here.

How about more on what you're looking for rather than what you're not looking for. Homes here can run from $70,000 in an older, run down, neighborhood, to millions of dollars in other parts of town.

Old 10-25-2010, 05:04 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,486,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
I don't know where you are from, but I'm betting that crime there is just as bad, if not worse, than Las Vegas...
I would assume Bedrock, right? Just curious...will Fred and Wilma be coming with you?

Old 10-25-2010, 05:25 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,907,759 times
Default Moving to Vegas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino1 View Post
This question may well have been asked already, but here it goes again. My wife and I had planned to retire to St. Pete, FL but some of the major reasons for us going there have vanished (all of our friends have moved, flood insurance has skyrocketted, etc) and we were thinking of buying a small home in Las Vegas. Does anyone have an opinion on this? We have no relatives there either. I know this is a real general question, but what would a small home cost in a decent safe neib? Any other advice, or insight about Las Vegas from people who live there would be so very welcome. My wife is concerend about crime, but I know that many times crime is over stated by sensationalist writers. I thank you for reading this and thank you for your time.
One of the reasons we chose Vegas to retire, was that friends and relatives would more likely to visit there, than most other places in America since it is a popular playground for adults and close to Los Angeles where we come from. The only real drawback we could come up with was the summer temperatures are so hot but no matter where you move to you have to deal with something such as hurricanes, floods, tornadoes, earthquakes, isolation, brutal winters etc etc. Cost of living in Vegas is reasonable, it has an international airport, lots of food and entertainment choices, real estate prices are very reasonable as well.
sk

Old 10-25-2010, 05:42 PM

399 posts, read 1,025,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skugelstadt View Post
One of the reasons we chose Vegas to retire, was that friends and relatives would more likely to visit there, than most other places in America since it is a popular playground for adults and close to Los Angeles where we come from. The only real drawback we could come up with was the summer temperatures are so hot but no matter where you move to you have to deal with something such as hurricanes, floods, tornadoes, earthquakes, isolation, brutal winters etc etc. Cost of living in Vegas is reasonable, it has an international airport, lots of food and entertainment choices, real estate prices are very reasonable as well.
sk
You could be affected by a flood in Las Vegas. Las Vegas could have an earthquake locally or you could at least feel some effects of a huge earthquake originating in southern California. Tornadoes are possible anywhere in the US. You might have ice and some snow in Las Vegas in winter.

The intense summer heat can be handled by always staying indoors during summer afternoons and never parking in the sun.

Old 10-25-2010, 06:02 PM

56 posts, read 118,761 times
Dino, by no means am I an expert on Vegas as I have only lived here a few months however; you asked for opinions so here is mine. If you are concerned about crime stay out of North Vegas. I have seem numerous people post on here that the crime is not that bad but I could not disagree more. I would recommend that if you are retiring you look at Henderson. I do not know what type of house you are looking for but I have found that once you go below $170000 for a single family home you start crossing wants off your list. I am sure that there are many who will disagree with me but I am just offering my opinion.

Old 10-25-2010, 06:30 PM

4,040 posts, read 2,906,913 times
Default Retirement

If you're looking for a 55+ community, there are several in LV and Henderson. It would be possible for you to purchase a smaller home in the mid-100s in most of them. See other posts about Sun City Summerlin, Aliante, Anthem, McDonald Ranch and I'm sure there are others I'm not familiar with.

Old 10-25-2010, 07:17 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,043,053 times
The Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowedthat came out earlier this month has been discussed before and I'm not sure if this is "over sensationalism" or not ...and, I'm a Las Vegas lover contrary to what some members of this forum believe, but Las Vegas is the home to three of the most dangerous neighborhoods in the country. Out of the top 25 most dangerous, Las Vegas had the third, fourth, and eighth most dangerous neighborhoods in the country. This study is focused only on violent crime.

Staying away from those, if you can, would probably be prudent. Las Vegas is home to multitudes of retirees. If we didn't love southern Nevada, we'd leave.

Last edited by Yac; 11-29-2010 at 07:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas