Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 01:46 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,349,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Not to get off track and I don't really care who Nevada votes for but why would people there want to dump the Majority Leader in the Senate for an unknown nut case like Sharron Angle? Honestly, who do you think is in a better position to do things for Las Vegas?
Because we have put up with Harry Reid for almost 30 years in one government job after another. As head of the Gaming control board, some of the Mafia, who were running the Tropicana Hotel at the time, were overheard in FBI wiretaps saying they owned him. He was either stupid or brave, or maybe on the spot to show he was legitimate, because he ended up voting against them, so they wired his car with dynamite.

Once he became a senator on the coat tails of former Governor Bryan, he seemed to gain more power each time we reelected him, and we kept saying he will be in a position to great things for Nevada. Even when he took the wrong side on the Yucca Mountain Project, we gave him the benefit of the doubt because, after all, Ole Harry has the power to do great things for Nevada, and he probably knows secret stuff about that project that we don't know. It would have given 1000's of high paying jobs to Nevadans, wouldn't have been any more dangerous than the Nevada Test Site already is, and could have gotten millions of Federal dollars for other projects in Nevada, if he hadn't seen fighting it as a way to scare people into voting for him. He even let his buddy, Billary, the best friend China ever had, close down the Nevada Test Site without any resistance from Harry. Now he got Yucca Mountain shut down too, and 1000's more were put out of work, and a lot of our personal friends had to leave the state for other work.

Now, after 27 years, we realize that Ole Harry hasn't done anything for anybody but himself. He has become a millionaire on a public servant's pay, and things in Nevada have only gotten much, much, worse with him in "power".

If "None of These Candidates" could possibly win, I'd say vote for that. But not enough people would vote that way, so our choice is six more years of getting scr*wed by Reid, or six years of nothing happening with Angle. We're between a rock and a hard place, and might not survive six more years of Reid.

Old 10-27-2010, 01:48 AM

12,908 posts, read 27,989,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisKLAS View Post
If we throw our "friend" Harry Reid out next week, Vegas will be heaven on earth.
i'll even help him pack!

Old 10-27-2010, 05:18 AM

3,977 posts, read 7,637,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Are you a naturalized citizen originally from Africa, or are you a person of the black persuasion born in America? By mature, do you mean old, or do you mean all grown up as opposed to being childish?

Whatever, if you are worried about racism in Las Vegas, it isn't a big factor usually, even though it's not all gone yet. In fact, and at risk of being PCed to death for saying it, I see more racism among blacks toward whites and Mexicans than the other way around. Of course, since I'm from a predominately white family, I don't see what my black friends see, or feel what they feel. Well, I did a tiny little bit, in the 70's, down in Laredo, TX, (a 93% Hispanic city) but that's another story.

The Strip is well known, and speaks for itself as the Entertainment Capital of The World, but you'll find that most locals live here more for the other things there are to do than for the gambling and shows that not many people could afford a steady diet of. Personally, I like it here for the proximity to so many other great things in the west.

I know this wasn't your question exactly, but here's the standard answer to why people live in Las Vegas:

Location, location, location; Southern Nevada, beautiful Mojave Desert, large valley metropolis well spread out approx. 40 miles across, 2,000 ft. elevation, surrounded by beautiful mountains; highest peak, 11,982 feet.

Average temps, July, 106, highest recorded 118 (unofficial temps over 120); January, 57, lowest recorded, 6. Average rainfall 4 inches. Very low humidity, meaning you don't sweat much, and we have few of the irratating insects that you see in other states. This desert is not cold at night in summer. Winter overnight lows sometimes below freezing.

Pop. 1,800,000, fastest growing city for twenty years, averaging 4000-6,000 new people per month....until the "crash"... but guess what? People are still coming.

“Las Vegas” is actually the cities of Las Vegas, Henderson, North Las Vegas, plus unincorporated county areas running together into a large metropolitan area.

No we are not all Mafia hit men or hookers, and we don’t live in hotels on the Strip. Tourism is the leading industry with more hotel rooms (over 150,000) than any other city, with many of the most expensive hotels ever built, and several of the largest hotels in the world including the world’s largest, the MGM Grand. More convention center space than any other city. Several convention facilities including largest in the U.S., the LV Convention Center.

Amazing outdoor attractions nearby such as Hoover Dam which created Lake Mead, the largest man made lake in western hemisphere; National Parks such as Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce, Cedar Breaks, Death Valley. Lake Powell, Lake Mojave, Colorado River, Red Rock Canyon, Valley of Fire, Mt. Charleston, Las Vegas Ski and Snowboard Park, Bryan Head Ski Resort. Los Angeles, four hours by car (30 min. by plane); Pacific Ocean, five hours; Phoenix, AZ, five hours; Salt Lake City, UT, six hours; Reno, NV, nine hours; Albuquerque/Santa Fe, NM, 90 minutes by air, 10 hours to drive.

We don't mind driving here that much because there's very little traffic on our highways outside of town, and the scenery is so great, the fact that going fishing, camping, hiking, or hunting, might take a little driving doesn't phase us.

Nevada means “snow covered” in Spanish; Sierra means “mountains”; Las Vegas means “the meadows”. It's a meadow surrounded by snow covered mountains, and many of us are here more for the outdoor activities than the indoor. But indoors we have more great live entertainment than anywhere.
Buzz, this was a great post, very informative and even though you don't need it, I added another rep point to your already sterling reputation

Jonathan

Old 10-27-2010, 01:48 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,197,261 times
Default Reid

Harry has one exceptional accomplishment. He blocked up Yucca Mountain. I believe Yucca Mountain was terrribly bad for Nevada both as a faciility and even worse as a principle.

Basically the other 49 had decided where their garbage dump was and would have proceeded to load everything undesirable into the valleys of Nevada. Don't kid yourself...there is tons of tons of stuff that the rest of the US would love to see sitting in the Sheep Mountains. And there is enough room in the Sheeps to take it all or a whole lot of it.

I also find that the negatives of Reid have been vastly increased by a dedicated campaign from the right...get the chief democrat. So I am not sure that this is because we find Reid wanting our that the Repubs have taken a mildly unpopular representative and demonized him for Republican reasons.

And his opponent is a card carrying whacko. Not a little off...but right off the edge of the planet.

A vote against Reid is a vote against good sense and rationality. It will screw Nevada and set us back years in our national position.

Old 10-27-2010, 02:00 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,047,047 times
mod interpose: Good grief, here we go again. This thread has been completely hijacked away from the Opening Post. Any further discussion on Harry Reid will be removed.

Old 10-28-2010, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgeek View Post
Buzz, this was a great post, very informative and even though you don't need it, I added another rep point to your already sterling reputation

Jonathan
Gracias.

Old 10-28-2010, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco22 View Post
mod interpose: Good grief, here we go again. This thread has been completely hijacked away from the Opening Post. Any further discussion on Harry Reid will be removed.
Good grief Charlie Brown. Sorry. But where'd the OP go? I was hoping he'd respond and get in here and mix it up a liitle bit.

Old 10-28-2010, 06:09 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,493,779 times
He came...He saw...He left.

Old 10-28-2010, 07:50 AM

844 posts, read 2,101,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGHAMMP View Post
I'm coming to LV, actually flying there tomorrow to meet my new office. I am completely in the dark about LV other than the strip. I am seeking to find what entertainment opportunities, spots, areas are the best for someone like me to interact with the community and learn more. My family will be arriving in the summer and we have become accustomed to the Atlanta, GA area. This move is major and we are excited. Any input would be helpful. Thanks in advance!
I'm not sure what the color of your skin has to do with anything. America has been integrated for quite some time now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgeek View Post
Jonathan
Agreed 100% I gave him another rep point, too

Old 10-28-2010, 10:21 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,107,668 times
OHHHH DAME another fruitloop got outta the box.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas