Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 04:03 PM

3,728 posts, read 9,474,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
While I don't see Panda Express, or Cook On Wok, which is even better, as authentic Chinese, it's Chinese-like, and I eat it for convenience now and then. But wouldn't authentic Chinese be from, ohhhhh, let's say, CHINA??? How is it that New Yorkers think authentic Chinese food comes from New York?

If you want good, authentic, Chinese food, I don't know the name of it, but in the indoor shopping part of Chinatown is an alfresco (somebody else used that term) restaurant that is really good, serves lots of food for little money, and none of the owners are from New York (I don't think). And you can get take-away.

(Disclaimer: it's not technically alfresco since it is an indoor patio and, by definition, alfresco means outdoors. It's alfrescoish.)
It's all a matter of what you're used to Buzz.

There IS a difference between Chinese food on the East Coast and the West Coast. The taste, consistency, name and ingredients varies between NY Chinese you can get on the East Coast (particularly in NY) and that you find on the West Coast.

No one Chinese is "authentic" unless it comes from China as you say, it's just a matter of taste preferences.

I LOVE Cook on Wok as well, another great take out place (you can dine in there too).

Last edited by MomMom; 10-28-2010 at 04:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2010, 10:06 PM

123 posts, read 271,567 times
Where do you go when you get hungry again soon after eating the Chinese food?

Old 10-28-2010, 10:11 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,018,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
IMO. On my 10+ trips there looking for good take-out...we were always sorely disappointed.
So out of the 100s of Chinese restaurants in the city, you've tried 10, the last of which was over 3 years ago, and from that you've concluded that there isn't any good take-out here? Umm, okay.

Well, if you do choose to come back to Vegas sometime in the future, I suggest you try Food Express on Decatur:

Food Express Chinese Restaurant - Westside - Las Vegas, NV

And if you're ever in the mood for good Vietnemese, I highly recommend Pho So 1 which is near Decatur on Spring Mountain. My wife and I stopped in for dinner last night after a day of poker at Wynn and we had a great meal (even if we couldn't communicate too well with the staff). My wife had originally been taken there by an Asian friend of hers a couple of weeks ago, but this was my first visit. I can guarantee that it won't be my last.

Pho So 1 - Chinatown - Las Vegas, NV

Old 10-28-2010, 10:24 PM

848 posts, read 1,724,409 times
For fast food Chinese, I prefer Pick up Stix over Panda Express and for a more traditional Chinese restaurant with extensive menu I prefer Cathay House over Orchids Garden. For Dimsum both Cathay House and Orchids Garden serve excellent Dimsum for lunch and dinner. Cathay House and Orchids Garden are both popular and not far from Summerlin, Spring Valley area.

Old 10-29-2010, 12:10 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,498,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
So out of the 100s of Chinese restaurants in the city, you've tried 10, the last of which was over 3 years ago, and from that you've concluded that there isn't any good take-out here? Umm, okay.
True, small sample...and 3 years back...but LV has not been known for improvement (unless you count people leaving) and expansion in the last 3 years, so I would think things haven't improved in the Chinese take-out area during that period. I'll try MomMom's suggestion of New York Chinese next time I'm out there.

BTW, I'm researching a timeshare in LV off the secondary market, based on how well our Florida one went. Anyone know anything abot The Cliff's at Peace Canyon? The price is right for us...FREE (including closing cost)! Our only cost will be the $533 annual maintenance fee + $150 transfer fee.

Old 10-29-2010, 12:21 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,244,573 times
House of Joy on Spring Mountain is fantastic, some of the best Chinese food I have eaten this side of Hong Kong.

Old 10-29-2010, 12:57 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,498,624 times
Pho Joy...is also a great Vietnamese place....good desserts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas