Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 10:31 AM

3,977 posts, read 7,638,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
now...and forever.
'

LOL!!!!!!
Midnight, not a sound from the pavement!

Jonathan

Old 11-08-2010, 10:40 AM

5 posts, read 10,464 times
If it's been a housecat to this point, no. It will not be safe for long here or anywhere outdoors. If it's used to surviving outdoors and doesn't scare easily, you can probably let it out and it won't run off out of fear. And it might even stick around, but there are no guarantees. Most parts of Vegas are pretty crowded and busy, making it pretty unsafe for outdoor pets that aren't fenced in and well-versed in outdoor survival.

Your best bet is to have an indoor/outdoor cat with free access to a doggie door and a fenced in backyard. Feed it in the house, keep a litter box indoors and don't let it run free near streets or busy areas outside of the yard and it might be fine.

Old 11-08-2010, 12:35 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,200,574 times
There is no leash law in Clark County. Practically you can let your cat roam free in the county. Both of our cats go out though the older just visits the patio. The Maine Coon patrols a little wider but still stays close to home. Sometimes hunts the bushes in tandem with the dog. The old feral patrolled a wide area. We would see her cross streets blocks from the house. But she would be home for dinner. The neighbors cats patrol the cul-de-sac avoiding the Maine Coon. There is enough rodent population that the cats provide a useful role.

There is a good point being made here though...if you are in a tight tract consider the view of your neighbors. I think the idea that cats create any degree of mess by defecating or urinating on the neighbors lawn is mostly folk law. But still note that it can be very bad for neighborhood relationships to let your cat roam if the neighbors are annoyed. You can train a cat to stay in a backyard though it takes some doing. And I know one guy who has his cat on a tether set up. The cat clearly likes it.

Old 11-08-2010, 01:07 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,284,619 times
We tried a tether set up long ago in California when we had a huge backyard full of nice green grass. One of the cats tried to get out of it and ended up wrapped around the tree's, bushes, and anything else in the yard and then sat there meowing pitifully. He stayed inside after that along with the rest.

Old 11-08-2010, 01:10 PM

399 posts, read 1,026,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
There is no leash law in Clark County. Practically you can let your cat roam free in the county. Both of our cats go out though the older just visits the patio. The Maine Coon patrols a little wider but still stays close to home. Sometimes hunts the bushes in tandem with the dog. The old feral patrolled a wide area. We would see her cross streets blocks from the house. But she would be home for dinner. The neighbors cats patrol the cul-de-sac avoiding the Maine Coon. There is enough rodent population that the cats provide a useful role.

There is a good point being made here though...if you are in a tight tract consider the view of your neighbors. I think the idea that cats create any degree of mess by defecating or urinating on the neighbors lawn is mostly folk law. But still note that it can be very bad for neighborhood relationships to let your cat roam if the neighbors are annoyed. You can train a cat to stay in a backyard though it takes some doing. And I know one guy who has his cat on a tether set up. The cat clearly likes it.
Cat peeing and defecating on neighbor's yards is definitely not any kind of folk law or urban legend.
Cat owners just turn a blind eye to it, don't want to believe it if they don't personally witness it with their eyes or may even know it's happening and just don't care.
It also has nothing to do with living in a tight tract, although that will make it worse since that cat will more likely make the mess closer to where it can be seen and smelled if there is a very small lot. I have had this problem and the cat that was doing it was not living directly next to my house. They do roam more than just 1 or 2 houses away. I have also seen plenty of people complaining about this issue in pet and garden forums.
It stinks and is unsanitary for anyone gardening in the area. The smell kicks up stronger after the sprinklers wet the area or after rain.
Incredibly nasty and the cat owners are very irresponsible that they don't care about anything than their cats having a good time roaming around. It also works out better for them since they don't have to empty their litter box as often if the cat goes to the neighbor's house part of the time.
It took HOA fines fines to the property owner plus trapping the cat and taking it animal control before the cat owner finally got the message.

There are "cat fence" apparatus people can install on their back yard fencing that would allow the cat to go outside, but not allow it to climb out and go anywhere else, but many cat owners are too self centered to make the effort to do that. Other cat owners keep their cats inside 24/7 happily.

Old 11-08-2010, 03:23 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,496,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdreloc View Post
Cat peeing and defecating on neighbor's yards is definitely not any kind of folk law or urban legend.
Just curious...could "cat peeing" also be known as a "golden shower", when playing with certain variations of the animals description?

Old 11-08-2010, 03:47 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,200,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdreloc View Post
We disagree. And I suggest you not live in the county. I would also point out that there is a very large set of wild creatures...birds, lizards, desert rats, coyotes, mice and rats and particularly rabbits that make the output of a cat or two a non issue. And then some of us have chickens and other birds and horses...every see the output of a couple of horses?

Quote:
Cat owners just turn a blind eye to it, don't want to believe it if they don't personally witness it with their eyes or may even know it's happening and just don't care.
It also has nothing to do with living in a tight tract, although that will make it worse since that cat will more likely make the mess closer to where it can be seen and smelled if there is a very small lot. I have had this problem and the cat that was doing it was not living directly next to my house. They do roam more than just 1 or 2 houses away. I have also seen plenty of people complaining about this issue in pet and garden forums.
It stinks and is unsanitary for anyone gardening in the area. The smell kicks up stronger after the sprinklers wet the area or after rain.
Incredibly nasty and the cat owners are very irresponsible that they don't care about anything than their cats having a good time roaming around. It also works out better for them since they don't have to empty their litter box as often if the cat goes to the neighbor's house part of the time.It took HOA fines fines to the property owner plus trapping the cat and taking it animal control before the cat owner finally got the message.
Wander down to the San Gabriel River breakwater at Seal Beach...right at the start of the beach. Breath real deep. Smell anything but ocean air? There are at least 50 cats living in the next 100 feet of breakwater. And you are standing in their litter box. Or come out and check out our cul-de-sac...there are at least six roaming around so your sensitive nose should have no problem locating their waste.

Quote:
There are "cat fence" apparatus people can install on their back yard fencing that would allow the cat to go outside, but not allow it to climb out and go anywhere else, but many cat owners are too self centered to make the effort to do that. Other cat owners keep their cats inside 24/7 happily.
If you are talking about an invisible fence that is a pretty expensive gizmo and I am skeptical that you can really confine a cat with one. I suspect you will find that mechanically constraining a cat in anything other than a cage is a loser...particularly in a large place. Amazing acrobats these cats. The old feral lived a lot on roof tops...including a couple of places she could not have possibly gotten too.

Old 11-08-2010, 03:57 PM

399 posts, read 1,026,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
We disagree. And I suggest you not live in the county. I would also point out that there is a very large set of wild creatures...birds, lizards, desert rats, coyotes, mice and rats and particularly rabbits that make the output of a cat or two a non issue. And then some of us have chickens and other birds and horses...every see the output of a couple of horses?

Wander down to the San Gabriel River breakwater at Seal Beach...right at the start of the beach. Breath real deep. Smell anything but ocean air? There are at least 50 cats living in the next 100 feet of breakwater. And you are standing in their litter box. Or come out and check out our cul-de-sac...there are at least six roaming around so your sensitive nose should have no problem locating their waste.

If you are talking about an invisible fence that is a pretty expensive gizmo and I am skeptical that you can really confine a cat with one. I suspect you will find that mechanically constraining a cat in anything other than a cage is a loser...particularly in a large place. Amazing acrobats these cats. The old feral lived a lot on roof tops...including a couple of places she could not have possibly gotten too.

I don't know what you mean by "you disagree." There is nothing to disagree about. I have seen and smelled cat excrement outside and I don't see or smell anything from mice or lizards. It is not debatable.

I do not have any plans to live anywhere where outdoor cats are encouraged or allowed. Most likely within the city of Las Vegas or in a HOA community with rules against letting any of your animals roam about.

I didn't mean electronic fences. These are a couple examples of the fences I'm referring to:

CAT FENCE-IN™ | Cat Containment System
Cat Fence: Purrfect Cat Enclosures and Cat Fences

Old 11-08-2010, 04:11 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,244,252 times
My cat seems to like living indoors/outdoors in Southern Highlands. We have a fairly active Coyote population out here.

If I corral him within the home for any length of time, he is very vocal about wanting to get back outside. The little guy is a cute, but loud and destructive menace. He does use flower beds as an alternate litter box. He stinks things up and has ruined any opportunity for me to grow anything edible in many areas. He beats up other cats if they move into the yard, which he primarily stays within.

One neighbor claims to have seen my cat in his home, eating his cat's food and then, of course, my cat beat up his cat.

I wish someone told me when I was younger that cats get smarter as they age. He is 11 now and knows how to open doors and other assorted things. I would like for him to move out and get a job. He will end up in prison, I'm afraid.

Old 11-08-2010, 04:14 PM

2,469 posts, read 3,262,053 times
^^I doubt any HOA would allow those devices. I also don't think an HOA would be able to do anything about cats. Dogs, yes since they may see you walking it & not cleaning up. If you want to get rid of cats you have to trap & take them to a shelter.

& BTW when I had grass plenty people walking dogs thought it was perfectly fine to let their dog use my yard a toilet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: