Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 10:06 AM

255 posts, read 361,092 times

Advertisements

I don't understand this whole proof of insurance thing. I thought they implemented a new system last March that would allow the DMV to verify insurance coverage. Surely the police should be able to dial in and have access to that same information.

Last edited by RecentlyRetired; 11-12-2010 at 11:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2010, 10:44 AM

102 posts, read 217,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bledsoe3 View Post
She's 78. When I'm that age I hope I remember to put my pants on before I get in the car.
from what you're saying she has bad memory... an maybe it's time for her to give up her drivers lic........ a insurance document is not sometihng you pick up with your keys and coat when you leave the house...it remains in the car with a option to carry a copy in your wallet.

Old 11-12-2010, 09:07 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,835,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TO.KI View Post
from what you're saying she has bad memory... an maybe it's time for her to give up her drivers lic........ a insurance document is not sometihng you pick up with your keys and coat when you leave the house...it remains in the car with a option to carry a copy in your wallet.
It was a joke. Lighten up.

I never said anything about anybody having to stop driving.

Old 11-13-2010, 12:20 AM

2,557 posts, read 4,565,878 times
Quote:
Actually I would be as bold as to say that maybe it's time to give up the license. Sorry if you take offense to this. I would say the same about my own family. Not necessarily on an age basis but at the very least have seniors take eyesight and response time type tests. The only reason legislation like this hasn't moved forward in the past is because our congress and senate is made up of old men.

Old 11-13-2010, 05:51 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,006,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
The only reason legislation like this hasn't moved forward in the past is because our congress and senate is made up of old men.
You can blame Congress and the federal government for a lot of things, but this is not one of them. Licensing drivers is strictly a state matter.

Old 11-13-2010, 03:48 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,184,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
You can blame Congress and the federal government for a lot of things, but this is not one of them. Licensing drivers is strictly a state matter.
Actually anyone over 70 is automatically screened in Nevada when they go to the DMV...

I would also suggest the proof in the car is simple a money maker for the state. The DMV knows with great precision whether you have insurance or not and that information could easily be fed to the cop. But then they lose a revenue stream.

Old 11-13-2010, 03:53 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,940,858 times
Quote:
And if the original post was, "should I make my mom give up her license to drive because she didn't have her proof of insurance" then your comment might be right on!

Old 11-13-2010, 03:57 PM

11,175 posts, read 16,006,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Actually anyone over 70 is automatically screened in Nevada when they go to the DMV...
I wasn't commenting on whether or not any special screening should be done on older drivers, just that it is a state and not a federal matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
I would also suggest the proof in the car is simple a money maker for the state. The DMV knows with great precision whether you have insurance or not and that information could easily be fed to the cop. But then they lose a revenue stream.
How is this a money maker for the state? Every place that I've lived, if you go to court and provide proof that you had valid insurance when you were stopped (but just didn't have the card with you), then the ticket is dismissed. Same with not having your DL with you. Is that not the case in Nevada?

Old 11-13-2010, 04:03 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,184,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
I wasn't commenting on whether or not any special screening should be done on older drivers, just that it is a state and not a federal matter.

How is this a money maker for the state? Every place that I've lived, if you go to court and provide proof that you had valid insurance when you were stopped (but just didn't have the card with you), then the ticket is dismissed. Same with not having your DL with you. Is that not the case in Nevada?
And I was simply adding that it is, in fact, done in Nevada along with many places. NV is actually more subtle about it than most places.

I would expect that some significant number simply pay the tickets by mail and never show up in court with the proof. A case in point is the OP where the attorney should have known...

Old 11-13-2010, 09:37 PM

36 posts, read 123,085 times
[/quote]How is this a money maker for the state? Every place that I've lived, if you go to court and provide proof that you had valid insurance when you were stopped (but just didn't have the card with you), then the ticket is dismissed. Same with not having your DL with you. Is that not the case in Nevada?[/quote]

Because some people would just pay the fine and be done with it.

I've never used the ticket fixer places. If your mom had just went to court, asked to speak with the judge, chances are the no insurance would have been dropped completely and the passing the school would have been reduced. Sounds to me like they didn't do the job you were paying them to do.

Not sure what you can do now that it's over and done with.

Last edited by 2000dynasuper; 11-13-2010 at 09:38 PM.. Reason: correction
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: