Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 05:39 PM

45 posts, read 158,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Now why don't you take your xenophobic race baiting to the illegal immigration thread where it belongs...
Okay let's review . Person asks if estimate is too high . Some respond to paying wages that no legitimate company can pay and scope of work was very , very vague . I say to get a few more estimates since I felt that was the best practice . I also state that legitimate companies are competing against unfair labor . I work an honest business and give jobs to documented workers . Now , I'm a racist ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bepperoo View Post
Thanks for all the responses. Didn't mean to get anyone heated up though. I was pretty vague in my description of my yard so I understand that no one can really answer my question very truthfully. My front yard is really quite small and is all stones and desert landscape. The problem is that it is just such a mess right now. Lots of dead leaves and debris in the rocks and around the base of the bushes. He will bring the gravel and of course remove all of the debris. The trees and palms will require a ladder but probably no more than a 6 feet one. I actually had another company come out and only give me a quote on the front yard and he quoted 350. so I figure that my yard must be pretty bad looking to them.

I will not go to Stars and hire a day laborer. Its just against my principles to hire someone who won't pay taxes on their earnings. My brother is in construction and he works very hard for his money and has to compete with day laborers so I will not support them just to save myself some money. Keeping Americans working is more important to me.
I deeply apologize for the way your thread went . It wasn't the intention .

Old 11-17-2010, 05:46 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the bad seed View Post
Okay let's review . Person asks if estimate is too high . Some respond to paying wages that no legitimate company can pay and scope of work was very , very vague . I say to get a few more estimates since I felt that was the best practice . I also state that legitimate companies are competing against unfair labor . I work an honest business and give jobs to documented workers . Now , I'm a racist ?
I routinely pay between 15 and 25 an hour for day laborers and tradesman. Maybe a little more for an electrician or plumber but not much. There is nothing illegal per se about any of them. Illegal is not in the equation.

You bring that in. Why? The obvious conclusion was stated. Las Vegas has 15% unemployment. Everybody works cheap.

All these people are far better paid than WalMart or Kmart.

Old 11-17-2010, 05:48 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,995,060 times
there's a rep for ya capt'

Old 11-17-2010, 05:52 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,995,060 times
my point is this, in vegas, the business' want to rip you off (most of them).. if it wasn't for this board.. i don't know how many times i would have been ripped.. from my tile cleaning, pool cleaning, to landscaping.... vegas IMO is very different from the midwest or east...but i can tell you this.. it is easier to find cheap labor (illegal or not) here than it is in Ohio... for someone to come in on the other side of the country and blast a poster for using a illegal (or not) is totally irresponsible...
for getting things done.. here is how i do it... 1. ask this forum if no answer go to 2. angies list too expensive go to 3. craigslist.. still no help 4. get a laborer... 5. when all else fails, get ripped off by a local company.

Old 11-17-2010, 05:56 PM

Guys I'm not here to fire anyone up my any means . But how can anyone say the poster is paying too much right off the bat without having clue number one what the original poster needed done ? No one can give a virtual estimate on a thread .

Old 11-17-2010, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Guys I'm not here to fire anyone up my any means . But how can anyone say the poster is paying too much right off the bat without having clue number one what the original poster needed done ? No one can give a virtual estimate on a thread .
Actually that is not true. One can observe that the price proposed appears very high. These are not highly variable properties. And as I said I have had the very job done 3 or 4 different times without having any idea what shape the property was in. Simple phone conversation with the gardener and done.

Now if the question was should the price be $245 or $275...different result. But it should not cost $680...

And if you listen carefully a number of us said pay by hour.

None of which has anything to do with illegals.

Old 11-17-2010, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
None of which has anything to do with illegals.
One last time and not as arguing point . My original idea was that hourly wages are going to be different between a company and a day laborer . Companies have overhead costs . That was the whole point of what I was trying to say . Cash labor and etc. was mentioned and I stated companies can't compete with that . Then I became a racist ( I'm going to show my laborers this post tomorrow ; they will get a kick out of it ) even though my laborers break bread with my family on a daily basis , frequently supply them International phone cards as a bonus for a job well done , I sponser a soccer team in dare I use their term " Hispanic , Latin " league . But thanks for the personal attacks . I didn't once attack anyone on the entire post or say anything derogatory towards any ethnicity . I used the term illegal worker . The only implication of race was from people who don't read and fly off the handle and bang away on a keyboard . OH , BTW my wife is of Polynesian descent . Do I need to post a picture of her ?

Last edited by the bad seed; 11-17-2010 at 06:57 PM..

Old 11-17-2010, 07:18 PM

Quote:
One last time and not as arguing point . My original idea was that hourly wages are going to be different between a company and a day laborer . Companies have overhead costs . That was the whole point of what I was trying to say . Cash labor and etc. was mentioned and I stated companies can't compete with that . Then I became a racist ( I'm going to show my laborers this post tomorrow ; they will get a kick out of it ) even though my laborers break bread with my family on a daily basis , frequently supply them International phone cards as a bonus for a job well done , I sponser a soccer team in dare I use their term " Hispanic , Latin " league . But thanks for the personal attacks . I didn't once attack anyone on the entire post or say anything derogatory towards any ethnicity . I used the term illegal worker . The only implication of race was from people who don't read and fly off the handle and bang away on a keyboard . OH , BTW my wife is of Polynesian descent . Do I need to post a picture of her ?
YOu lead with...

Quote:
Reading threads like this are amazing to me . Everyone complains about how illegal laborers are ruining this country and then you read posts like this condoning the behavior of hiring them . I would love to see anyone charge $12.00 an hour for labor and operate a business . I guess having business expenses such as insurance and workman's comp as well as taxes aren't a concern for the consumer
Now it appears that you have a different definition of "illegal laborers" than what would be accepted by 99% of the local population particularly when tied with "illegal laborers are ruining this country". I am not aware by the way that off the books employment has become a major nationwide problem though perhaps it should be.

Note as well that day labor is not illegal in Nevada. And it is not even illegal for an illegal to day labor.

See your problem...You need to be a little more careful before you jump into a foreign city thread.

And just as a side note. You don't need to be white to be a bigot. Blacks and hispanics do it. YOu have not live until you hear a group of upper class Columbians chew up Mexicans or Puerto Ricans...And I would not be surprised that polyniesians do it.

Old 11-17-2010, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjameson922 View Post
I tell them I never earned more than $25 an hour in my life, particularly for doing manual labor and if I begin paying out more than that to contractors, it will soon be a very unhappy ending. The individuals that stay usually end up working for about $12 an hour, cash, and doing a nice job.
This was from the post right above mine and the one I replied to . Feel free to read the last sentence , please
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: