Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 01:02 PM

2,404 posts, read 10,685,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by asik View Post
Social workers are the last thing Las Vegas needs. Corrupt government welfare payments, food stamps, AFDC and Section 8 has made Las Vegas into a cesspool of criminals. If you cannot afford the very best areas, you'll live among low-rent slime like lvkewlkid.
What are you talking about? First of all, in Las Vegas, I have a different opinion on the best areas in Las Vegas than others do...My family has never been on Section 8, AFDC, Food stamps, or on welfare, we also aren't criminals

the neighborhood that I live in is very nice, people come down from the "so-called" great areas and tell us that they want to live here in our neighborhood, it is convenient to so much, yet very quiet, it is the safest part of 89123, it is also behind a high-rise, so I guess you are saying that a neighborhood with a bunch of high-rises going up is a crappy neighborhood...
apparently, talking with other people online, we got a good deal on our rent, that's because we negotiated and we know how to get into a rental, NEVER USE A PROPERTY MANAGEMENT COMPANY!!! By the way, we usually are the ones that never get in trouble with the association, but the owners do, because we just mind our own business because we know that as renters, if we do anything bad we don't want the owner to kick us out or be known to the rest of the owners as a CC&R breaker...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2007, 02:48 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,282,289 times
I just think there are many great area's, and some negative type people on the boards that just don't like anywhere. They are all over the U.S though, not just here.

Old 07-11-2007, 05:19 PM

40 posts, read 219,177 times
What about the truley forgotten...the working Poor....thats where the attention needs to go..... they work long hours sometimes 2-3 jobs, they produce something and still get it in the a$$ at every turn. the rest just stand around with their hands out pissin and moanin about how life's not fair......

Vegas is a town you have to get used to.......it's hot, traffic sucks, drivers suck even more.....who on here wrote "they don't stop speeders?" i'd say traffic stops account for some seious income for the county.... i've seen them lined up 6-10 cycle cops all writing tickets in a 200 yard streach.....

No one smiles and says "thank you " when You BUY in a store that pays minimum wage....... You can't get value for your dollar with most services you pay for........
Ya this Town sucks But I love it cause it's Vegas..... until they screw the rest of it up.....

Old 07-11-2007, 05:22 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,460,378 times
Vegas drivers suck because the cops don't enforce the traffic laws. Why this is so is for discussion. My working assumption is that there aren't enough cops on the force to allocate to traffic monitoring. They could pick up a lot of $$$ for the city on speeding tickets and moving violations if they would just ENFORCE THE STINKIN' LAWS!

Old 07-11-2007, 08:17 PM

1,174 posts, read 6,943,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
My working assumption is that there aren't enough cops on the force to allocate to traffic monitoring.
That's likely the truest statement of all. I don't have the per capita numbers, maybe someone on the board has them, but it wouldn't surprise me if they were surprisingly low. When there aren't enough assets, priorities have to be set. Sometimes those priorities don't meet the expectations of some, or even many, in the community.

Old 07-12-2007, 01:49 AM

1,725 posts, read 3,462,880 times
Ha...with all this wonder if this new DR. will move to Vegas or not. I was there last year driving all over the place (north, south, east and west) looking at houses. Made some bad turns, was lost, etc... always someone to point me in the right direction, merge into a traffic lane (with a nod and a wave I may add).
Everyone has negative stories, but don't let that discourage you. Go out there and do what you do. If someone is going to spend 7 years in college to come out and help through social programs .. well then Good on You.

Old 07-14-2007, 01:17 PM

879 posts, read 2,878,761 times
I just moved from the far North Western part of Las Vegas after living there for 5 years. I, personally, didn't find it the social climate much different than any other big city in many ways. And there is a world of difference between the strip and the outlying neighborhoods. I didn't leave the city because of any social issues, but rather for family and weather (too hot).

Yes, there are areas where you wouldn't want to be out after dark and the drivers on the freeways can be obnoxious and many drive too fast. But other cities can boast those same faults. There is crime, political corruption, and a homeless population. But look at San Fransisco, Los Angeles, New York, Chicago, etc. All have the same types of problems. Unfortunately, some cities SEND their homeless to CA and NV. And the "any thing goes" reputation does draw a segment of people who need help that isn't easy to get. But lumping over a million people into one uncaring bunch of humans isn't a realistic view of the city either.

There are good people in Las Vegas, Henderson, No. Las Vegas who care and there are people who don't give a fig....and those are the only ones you ever hear about in the newspaper (not a totally unbiased paper in my opinion).

Old 07-14-2007, 01:53 PM

30 posts, read 160,883 times
For the week or so that I have been here, I guess it is kinda northwest Las Vegas? I have seen a few people on the streets with signs but most people seem to have their stuff together. The only thing that surprises me is that like when I was in the social security office, or at Smiths, or at Walmart, after I got done talking to anyone, even the cashier for ringing me out, I told them to either "Have a great day" or "have a wonderful weekend" and they seemed surprised by me saying that. Also I get an odd look when I say "thank you so much, I appreciate it" In Kentucky, you say it like second nature whether or not you know the person or not, its just being friendly. Are people just more to theirselves out here?

Last edited by SandraDee; 07-14-2007 at 01:58 PM.. Reason: more

Old 07-14-2007, 02:18 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,047,047 times
Ah, some pretty good comments in the last few posts!

Yes, I can't believe that Las Vegas is too much worse than any other large metro area.

I've also observed what Sandra has mentioned. Even though people aren't necessarily impolite or rude ...or even unfriendly in LV but I've noticed that the "thank you" and "I appreciate that" etc. aren't that common. But I think that's a west coast thing --I observe that all over the west and Rocky Mountain states. It seems like folks in the mid-west and deep south seem to use the "thank you" more and use more "have a nice day" type of comments. That's just my observation, however.

Old 07-14-2007, 04:54 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,282,289 times
It's been a different experience for me then. Most cashiers where i shop,plus the people who bag groceries always tell me to have a great day or evening,and I always tell them to have a great day/evening as well. The same with other places like the good old DMV, doctors office,etc.
Sure, some people stay to themselves and freak out if someone says "hi" but the majority of people i've met are all friendly folk.
I've lived on the west coast most of my life, and in California for a good many years. People were just as friendly there as here. So i guess it's the luck of the draw. Depends where you shop, or where you live. Or maybe i'm just lucky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: