Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 04:04 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,458,946 times

Advertisements

Look, if the cop I saw sitting in his squad car didn't think the situation was potentially dicey, then why was he sitting there? This strikes me as the cop "punting" when he could have been doing something proactive to avoid having a true traffic safety issue develop (back at the Rainbow intersecton). If this is current LVMPD policy, it should be changed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2007, 04:24 PM

818 posts, read 3,697,293 times
If I may, I'm going to complain about one of my biggest police/traffic pet peeves. Why do officers who are pulling over a motorist allow that motorist to stop in a lane of traffic instead of pulling off the road? I can't think of how many times I've seen a cop sitting behind a vehicle giving a ticket or radioing in information while taking a vital lane of traffic away from a busy street that doesn't have enough lanes as it is. They should tell that fool to pull off the street, then go handle the ticket.

Of course, you're all right that we should be thankful when we get to complain about minor crap like this instead of big problems that our police help protect us from.

Old 07-11-2007, 04:36 PM

40 posts, read 219,140 times
but they do their share of impeding traffic......

Old 07-11-2007, 07:42 PM

1,174 posts, read 6,941,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
Look, if the cop I saw sitting in his squad car didn't think the situation was potentially dicey, then why was he sitting there?
That was already explained, but let me put it more simply . . . because he can. That's enough of a reason, but as was already said, visible presence of law enforcement generally makes people behave, amongst other things. It sounds like it was being particually effective in your situation.

Quote:
This strikes me as the cop "punting" when he could have been doing something proactive to avoid having a true traffic safety issue develop (back at the Rainbow intersecton). If this is current LVMPD policy, it should be changed.
He could have been doing many other things, but apparently none of them would be appropriate unless they were exactly what you wanted him to do. However, if you had wanted him to do something different, why didn't you make him aware of what you perceived as a developing problem behind you? Police don't work in a vaccum. They work in concert with the public. They work in concert with you.

The concept of effective community policing is a two way street that doesn't work without the aid of each of it's parts, the various stakeholders in the community and law enforcement itself. That's a basic concept in the area of police work and civic involvement.

In the light of this concept, I would offer that it was your responsibility to ask for help or advise the officer of a situation that you thought was of importance to you. If you chose not to do so, then you are most at fault contributing to a situation that you viewed as a developing problem. You were aware of it and chose to do nothing.

From your description, if there was a situation that could have developed into a problem a block or so behind you, it is reasonable to think that the officer was unaware of it. He doesn't have eyes in the back of his head, so he can only do his job if he garners aid from the community he serves, from someone such as yourself. However, your aid appears to have been lacking in this case so there's not much more to say on the subject.

If you disagree with such an assessment, then discussions on the topic are moot at best. Expectations will remain 180 degrees apart and you will remain disappointed no matter in which large city you choose to reside. Community Policing is the word of the day, but it's also a concept and practice that goes back to the establishment of the first police department. It is nothing new.

So, I would hope in the future you would choose to work in concert with your local agency rather than complain about a perceived lack of action on their part, as well as by yourself. You might be surprised how your assistance would be accepted and how your community would improve over time when you work in concert with your neighbors and your local agency. It's part of your responsibility to the area your call home, your community.

Old 07-11-2007, 10:21 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,458,946 times
So garth thinks it's OK for LVMPD cops to ignore the obvious, to ignore simple cause and effect, as if there were a large flow of water into a tank that will overflow if the inflow continues. It's OK for LVMPD cops not to anticipate the effects of their actions. Dumb.

Old 07-12-2007, 12:07 AM

1,174 posts, read 6,941,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTain
So garth thinks it's <snipped>
What I think is that you'll never understand anything beyond your prejudice or that you are unable to provide a legitmate counterpoint other than to use the insulting adjective of "dumb," so it's a waste of time to discuss it any further. The manner of the response tells me what I need to know. Have a nice day down there in Las Vegas.

Last edited by garth; 07-12-2007 at 12:49 AM..

Old 07-13-2007, 12:12 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,340,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garth View Post
Hey, I've seen lots of "Open Range" signs along rural roads. They're doing a pretty good job of putting those things up in the middle of nowhere.
That's what I'm saying. But if there is road construction out there in the outback, you'll be lucky to have any warning before you are in the middle of it. Luckily, chances are there won't be any other cars around. My first encounter back in about 1965 or '66 was that the north bound lane that I was traveling in just ended in a pile of dirt. That was when there was no speed limit and it was about 2:00 in the morning and pitch dark. 41 years later it is still that way, except now if you are going 100mph it's illegal. Then it wasn't.

Old 07-13-2007, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chest Rockwell View Post
If I may, I'm going to complain about one of my biggest police/traffic pet peeves. Why do officers who are pulling over a motorist allow that motorist to stop in a lane of traffic instead of pulling off the road? I can't think of how many times I've seen a cop sitting behind a vehicle giving a ticket or radioing in information while taking a vital lane of traffic away from a busy street that doesn't have enough lanes as it is. They should tell that fool to pull off the street, then go handle the ticket.

Of course, you're all right that we should be thankful when we get to complain about minor crap like this instead of big problems that our police help protect us from.
That's my big complaint. The cops in Nevada make things worse by doing that. Looky Loos are bad enough when somebody pulls off just to fix a flat. Even fender benders where no one is hurt could be investigated out of traffic just as easily. Move that kind of stuff off the road or at least direct traffic around it. It would be safer for the cops too. I believe the police are just as bad in California and maybe that's where our cops get it from.

Old 07-13-2007, 12:39 AM

I've been venting about cops not controlling traffic, and NDOT's carefree attitude for many years, but as I look over the original post I don't see anything there to complain about. It is standard procedure in Nevada that when a traffic signal isn't working that the intersection is treated as a four way stop by drivers. I'm sure it says so in the driver's handbook. The cop that was sitting at the intersection may have been waiting for help. I hate to defend cops in the way they handle traffic, but it would be dangerous, if not downright impossible for one lone officer to direct traffic in a situation like that. He may have been waiting for help. Usually you'll see at least two cops when they do direct traffic at an intersection, and they are usually motorcycle officers. It may be an inconvenience for drivers but that's the law. Better than a cop taking a chance of getting run over so we don't miss our dinner. And it does happen more often than you'd think.

Old 07-13-2007, 12:44 AM

2,404 posts, read 10,682,999 times
I agree with Buzz it was a question on my written driving test, when a stoplight is out, it is then a 4-way stop
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: