Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 01:53 PM

6,375 posts, read 11,832,909 times

Advertisements

From a leading Wall St Analyst:
According to our calculations and data released by the Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority (LVCVA), the convention calendar for events with over 1,000 attendees during the 1Q11 looks significantly stronger y-o-y, with 839,175 attendees at 62 events in 1Q11, increases of 53% and 77% versus 549,850 attendees at 35 events in 1Q10, respectively.

Nothing will drive recovery better than getting conventions going at a robust pace again. Good for hotel rates, good for driving additional seat capacity from the airlines and good for creating jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2010, 04:33 PM

1,460 posts, read 2,802,044 times
That's something to be excited about. Vegas is on the rebound.

Old 12-13-2010, 05:57 PM

1,347 posts, read 2,443,635 times
That's great news but I'd like to see a confirmation on those numbers. The only sources I can find citing those figures are a blog and a tweet from Robin Leach . I would think if the numbers were accurate the local media would be shouting from the rooftops. I can't even find a mention of it on the LVCVA website.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:27 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,917,542 times

Old 12-14-2010, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony soprano View Post
That's great news but I'd like to see a confirmation on those numbers. The only sources I can find citing those figures are a blog and a tweet from Robin Leach . I would think if the numbers were accurate the local media would be shouting from the rooftops. I can't even find a mention of it on the LVCVA website.
To get the numbers on the LVCVA site you have to do a search of the upcoming calendar and count the conference and attendees and then compare it to last year. Not sure if they have the historical conventions, but the analysts are always looking at this so they have it on file.

The local media rarely get Wall Street research and I know for a fact this particular analyst doesn't send his stuff to the reporters at the RJ or Sun either. If this guy says it I believe it, he's very critical of Vegas when he needs to be and in the report even mentioned he thinks most investors are sort of expecting this kind of bounce in numbers and they are already cooked into stock prices. The key will be if there are equally good gains in the other quarters of the year and its too early to get concrete figures yet although all the CEOs are saying the numbers will definitely be up based on their internal bookings.

Old 12-14-2010, 04:15 AM

848 posts, read 1,720,894 times
Here's another good news that I will appreciate once it commence business in the Spring of 2011. As I have said in the past, this side of the valley is lacking in dining establishments but that will soon change starting next year.

Las Vegas Sun - Tivoli Village

Old 12-14-2010, 09:30 AM

1,631 posts, read 3,944,358 times
Here is some stats on what is happening in regards to Vegas's economy and gaming.

Southern Nevada economic indicators fall

Old 12-14-2010, 10:10 AM

3,728 posts, read 9,454,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 license to sell View Post
Here is some stats on what is happening in regards to Vegas's economy and gaming.

Southern Nevada economic indicators fall
Interesting bit on the commercial real estate market. Thanks for posting this link 007..

Old 12-14-2010, 12:38 PM

1,347 posts, read 2,443,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
To get the numbers on the LVCVA site you have to do a search of the upcoming calendar and count the conference and attendees and then compare it to last year. Not sure if they have the historical conventions, but the analysts are always looking at this so they have it on file.

The local media rarely get Wall Street research and I know for a fact this particular analyst doesn't send his stuff to the reporters at the RJ or Sun either. If this guy says it I believe it, he's very critical of Vegas when he needs to be and in the report even mentioned he thinks most investors are sort of expecting this kind of bounce in numbers and they are already cooked into stock prices. The key will be if there are equally good gains in the other quarters of the year and its too early to get concrete figures yet although all the CEOs are saying the numbers will definitely be up based on their internal bookings.
I wouldn't have expected the local media to get this info from a Wall St. analyst but rather from the LVCVA. Given LVCVA's mission of marketing Vegas as THE destination for both business and leisure I would think this is just the kind of news they'd want widely disseminated. It's certainly data they have at their disposal.

Old 12-14-2010, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony soprano View Post
I wouldn't have expected the local media to get this info from a Wall St. analyst but rather from the LVCVA. Given LVCVA's mission of marketing Vegas as THE destination for both business and leisure I would think this is just the kind of news they'd want widely disseminated. It's certainly data they have at their disposal.
LVCVA largely avoids future statements or predictions. They are strictly a by-the-facts reporter except in rare cases. You'll hear about something like this in April, but probably not just conventioneers but a general rise in visitation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas