Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 04:09 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,800,286 times

Advertisements

I also moved here in 2012 from the frozen tundra of way upstate NY near the Canadian Border in the Adirondacks. Last Saturday Whiteface MT and the lake placid region got snow and 30 inches of it on the highway going up to Whiteface a great Memorial weekend present for the region most people in a 60 mile radius had their heat back on and etc. Since moving out here my knees are not swollen up I can do stairs without pain and my joints do not ache. The dry weather is the cure and do not forget in the cold weather back east the humidity is also high during the cold and then also in the summer heat. Here in LV the cold stuff does not last for 24/7 like back east it may dip below 30 degrees but only at late night or early morning similar to the heat where it is not 105 24/7. The dry conditions even benefits pets my old dog 14 years could not move around back east he could not do the 4 steps on the porch to go out without assistance. I had to give him a baby aspirin each night so he could sleep. Since being out here no more aspirins and he now chases his tennis ball again and sleeps like a log. I was chatting with a woman yesterday and her husband has MS they lived in Florida before which was hell for her husband but since moving out here to LV he is now mobile and enjoying going out and is in much more less pain.
One other thing 40% of the population above the 40th Parallel which runs just below Boston Ma across the country suffer from a lack of vitamin D. It is from the amount of sunshine you get and living in those climates even when the sun shines you are covered up because of the cold temps . The lack of vitamin D affects children and elderly the most and it is not uncommon when you have a physical you are tested for this. Out here I am sure it is a rare occurrence. The hole SW area is a better living conditions for people who suffer joint pain and etc and another plus on why to move here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2013, 08:11 AM

158 posts, read 263,568 times
I've got fibromyalgia and one of my biggest pain triggers is barometric pressure changes. I can feel the rain coming for days in advance. I'm in Maryland now and the weather changes every other day. The steady weather is one of the reasons we picked Las Vegas to move to. (3 weeks, yay!)

Old 05-31-2013, 02:32 AM

You will love it here low humidity under 20% most of the time. It is also nice to soak in a hot tub or Spa as they call them here most of the year that adds to the pleasure of living in LV.

Old 05-31-2013, 05:55 PM

670 posts, read 1,099,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishspy View Post
I also moved here in 2012 from the frozen tundra of way upstate NY near the Canadian Border in the Adirondacks. Last Saturday Whiteface MT and the lake placid region got snow and 30 inches of it on the highway going up to Whiteface a great Memorial weekend present for the region most people in a 60 mile radius had their heat back on and etc. Since moving out here my knees are not swollen up I can do stairs without pain and my joints do not ache. The dry weather is the cure and do not forget in the cold weather back east the humidity is also high during the cold and then also in the summer heat. Here in LV the cold stuff does not last for 24/7 like back east it may dip below 30 degrees but only at late night or early morning similar to the heat where it is not 105 24/7. The dry conditions even benefits pets my old dog 14 years could not move around back east he could not do the 4 steps on the porch to go out without assistance. I had to give him a baby aspirin each night so he could sleep. Since being out here no more aspirins and he now chases his tennis ball again and sleeps like a log. I was chatting with a woman yesterday and her husband has MS they lived in Florida before which was hell for her husband but since moving out here to LV he is now mobile and enjoying going out and is in much more less pain.
One other thing 40% of the population above the 40th Parallel which runs just below Boston Ma across the country suffer from a lack of vitamin D. It is from the amount of sunshine you get and living in those climates even when the sun shines you are covered up because of the cold temps . The lack of vitamin D affects children and elderly the most and it is not uncommon when you have a physical you are tested for this. Out here I am sure it is a rare occurrence. The hole SW area is a better living conditions for people who suffer joint pain and etc and another plus on why to move here.
+1

We moved here from the same region as Irishspy in 2011. I was developing lower back pain in the mornings especially during winter I'm sure due to the cold, damp air. My hands would cramp and contour when I used a pen for any length of time. Since moving to Vegas - nothing. No pains, no cramping, nothing at all. At 37 I feel 15 years younger out here. Even our cat is much more active here which we believe to be a direct result of the dry desert air.

Old 05-31-2013, 07:21 PM

206 posts, read 239,443 times
My wife and I have been going to Las Vegas for vacations for over 30 years. Nowadays we come two or three times per year.

I have slight joint pains. Sometimes worse than other times. My wife is semi-disabled with serious lower limb issues. Now in our 60s, we both agree that the dryness of the Las Vegas climate does indeed have a positive effect on our joints.

It may be psychological, but we think we feel better after a couple of days there. Maybe it's just because we get away from work and stress..............

Old 06-01-2013, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtvette View Post
+1

We moved here from the same region as Irishspy in 2011. I was developing lower back pain in the mornings especially during winter I'm sure due to the cold, damp air. My hands would cramp and contour when I used a pen for any length of time. Since moving to Vegas - nothing. No pains, no cramping, nothing at all. At 37 I feel 15 years younger out here. Even our cat is much more active here which we believe to be a direct result of the dry desert air.
Good to hear from you where have you been hiding We came from a cold humid area where people lack vitamin D which is what your bones need and now we both feel better. It also improves the mental part of living life here in LV because of the climate you can actually plan outdoor stuff when you want to and not be a slave to the weather. Back in the Adirondacks and Vermont they got snow last week 30 inches of it on Whiteface and now this week they are all sweating with temps in the 90's with high humidity. This takes a toll on the body year after year. I do not dread thinking in 3 months the cold will be back but instead the great fall weather we have here in LV. I have not meet a single person who suffered pain back East from the weather say being here did not improve it.

Old 08-19-2018, 06:16 PM

4 posts, read 2,898 times
This is a older thread, but reading peoples reply from pain relief , I m looking into moving there.

Old 08-19-2018, 06:28 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,031,621 times
I have multiple sclerosis and heat aggravates it. All of these conditions relate to inflammation. But we currently have no real cure in medicine so people have to find their place.

To those who need a dry climate, this is the one. But don’t expect it to be warm and comfortable year round. It sometimes gets down in the twenties in the winter, and that dry wind will practically take your face off.

Old 08-21-2018, 12:13 PM

779 posts, read 465,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomMom View Post
No, it gets fah-reezing here in the winter. We even get a rare snow storm!

While it's milder climate-wise here in Southern Nevada than let's say the East Coast or Mid-West, winters are not warm...like in Hawaii or South Florida, etc., etc.

What helps some people though, is the continual DRY climate. No dampness, no humidity, to some THAT proves beneficial.
Sooooo what you're saying then is that the weather in LV could be beneficial.

Old 08-22-2018, 05:18 PM

4 posts, read 2,898 times
Too funny. My mom and aunts all have OA and all have had both knees & hips replaced and all take mobic for pain and the weather dont bother them at all. For me, in 2012 I didnt know I had OA after a horrible MI winter, tired of hurting saved money& took 3 month leave to go to FL. for work it was hot and humid and it felt great, even lost weight, but didnt find work. I was lucky when I returned my job gave me a raise and a new position. By 2015 found I had severe OA in shoulder & back. Had shoulder replacement, it dislocated, now have reverse shoulder replacement (not good) Had to go on disability at 54 I still feel such shame, oops I digress. I was so confused why mom & aunts have oa, they are fine with mobic and I have to take mobic & pain med..and humid & cold weather hurts even with meds???? I read a great article online, It talked about how some OA people suffer with inflammation than others, esp. more the bone on bone and OA can have flare ups. I wish I could find it to share. I thought I had it figured out and told my pcp moving to Las Vegas!! My pcp tells me its not the humidty its the heat that increases OA pain. What, now Im confused again???? I guess, should visit first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: