Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2010, 07:21 AM

3,032 posts, read 5,263,503 times

Advertisements

Im moving in 151 days from now (yep counting), and I was wondering where the nearest pine treed forest was from the area. Im sure its not close, but 2 or 3 times a year I like to plant myself in a forest. Im moving from Boise, after a bad desision to leave phoenix. In Phoenix, we had Prescott National forest to escape to about 2 hours away.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2010, 09:20 AM

787 posts, read 1,776,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
Im moving in 151 days from now (yep counting), and I was wondering where the nearest pine treed forest was from the area. Im sure its not close, but 2 or 3 times a year I like to plant myself in a forest. Im moving from Boise, after a bad desision to leave phoenix. In Phoenix, we had Prescott National forest to escape to about 2 hours away.

Depends where you live in Vegas. I live in the Northwest corner (Centennial Hills), and Mt. Charleston is about 30mins from me. Lots of trees, hiking, trails, great views, etc. Probably a little over an hour from most points in Henderson.

Old 12-16-2010, 09:43 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,105,648 times
Mt Charleston is mostly cedar with some scrub pine and a few stands of poderosa pine mixed in....

Old 12-16-2010, 05:52 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,581,150 times
If you hike up some of the forest service roads, you'll find all the Ponderosa pines you can want. Just need to be above 8000' to see them. Also Bristlcone pines, the oldest living things on the planet.

Old 12-16-2010, 07:53 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,347,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johninvegas View Post
If you hike up some of the forest service roads, you'll find all the Ponderosa pines you can want. Just need to be above 8000' to see them. Also Bristlecone pines, the oldest living things on the planet.
Not to mention the Quaking Aspens and I'd say more like 7,000 feet near the Lodge. There are also pine trees on the Sheep Mountains, although harder to get to. The point is, you'll find pine trees at Mt. Charleston which is pretty close. It depends on how far you live from the roads that go up the mountain. If you live in Henderson, it will take you about 90 minutes to get there. If you live in the northwest part of Las Vegas like I do, it will take you 30 to 40 minutes to be in pine trees.

I'm not positive of this, but I think Nevada has a lot more, and a lot higher, mountains than AZ does, and Las Vegas is much closer to some of them than Phoenix is to theirs. But we don't have the Mogollon Rim, which is really a nice place to go, and you'll only be about four hours, or less, from that.

We lazily refer to the whole Spring Mountain Range as Mt. Charleston, which is the highest peak at 11,982 ft. The Spring Mountain Range is probably an even nicer getaway from town than you had in Phoenix, and it offers dozens of great hikes. But one of the most beautiful places on earth, Zion Canyon National Park, is only 2½ to 3½ hours.

Old 12-16-2010, 08:26 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,347,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
Mt Charleston is mostly cedar with some scrub pine and a few stands of poderosa pine mixed in....
There are a few other pines too, Dyn. SummitPost : Hiking, Climbing and Mountaineering

The higher you go the more forested it is until you get above timberline. The back side, from Pahrump, is even better for getting lost in the woods. You'll see deer, elk, and if lucky, maybe a mountain lion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas