Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 08:49 PM

222 posts, read 383,219 times

Advertisements

.. and how many people still drawing their 99 weeks of NV unemployment have long since moved on to greener pastures out of state while still collecting UI? I would guess that the unemployment rate amongst the active population of southern Nevada is somewhat lower than 15%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2010, 08:52 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,120,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisKLAS View Post
.. and how many people still drawing their 99 weeks of NV unemployment have long since moved on to greener pastures out of state while still collecting UI? I would guess that the unemployment rate amongst the active population of southern Nevada is somewhat lower than 15%.
The latest was 14.1%

Old 12-16-2010, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
The latest was 14.1%
Okay, lower than 14.1% then.....

Old 12-17-2010, 08:09 AM

1,631 posts, read 3,939,444 times
This is an eye operner article on how so many locals live from pay check to paycheck.

Survey: Many Nevadans live paycheck-to-paycheck

Old 12-17-2010, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 license to sell View Post
This is an eye operner article on how so many locals live from pay check to paycheck.

Survey: Many Nevadans live paycheck-to-paycheck
Scary. One will never get ahead borrowing money at a 6000% (APR) interest rate.

Old 12-17-2010, 09:50 AM

1,460 posts, read 2,797,693 times
Construction adds a lot to that number. Not saying there are not a lot of other people out of work too but since we had such a huge surge in construction we had a huge amount of construction workers living here.

No I can tell you that Nevada jobless benefits are higher than in many other states, so Carpenter from Mississippi is going to be drawing jobless benefits from Las Vegas.

The fact that Vegas is so transient is registering a false positive.

Old 12-17-2010, 07:41 PM

29 posts, read 45,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robustus View Post
I think that's a little dramatic. If the national unemployment rate is currently 9.8% and the Las Vegas unemployment rate is 14.1%, that just means that the pool of people looking for jobs is ((14.1 - 9.8) / 9.8) = 43.8% larger in LV vs the national
avg.

So it's 43.8% harder to get a job here than the national avg. Certainly not good, but I wouldn't call it a dead zone when speaking relative to the current state of "major cities". It's hard just about everywhere.
Really?? You think this is a little dramatic??? Granted the stated unemployment rate is 14.3 (it went up today) but the true unemployment rate is more like 22 percent. Let's not coat it with lies people; Vegas is going through the hardest times since its existence. I wish Vegas returns to normal so I can sell my house and move out of here.

Old 12-17-2010, 11:47 PM

787 posts, read 1,770,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bay bridge View Post
Really?? You think this is a little dramatic???
Indeed, I mis-spoke. I think your choice of words was quite dramatic.

Quote:
Granted the stated unemployment rate is 14.3 (it went up today) but the true unemployment rate is more like 22 percent.
The same argument regarding "true" unemployment rate applies to the rest of the country as well, and you were speaking relative to other "major cities". Therefore, I do not see how this point changes the discussion at all.

I stand by my prior post.

Quote:
I wish Vegas returns to normal so I can sell my house and move out of here.
I sincerely hope you leave Vegas ASAP as well.

Old 12-18-2010, 09:39 AM

29 posts, read 45,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robustus View Post
I stand by my prior post.

I sincerely hope you leave Vegas ASAP as well.

I love it when people like you try to coat the economic situation here in Las Vegas. Its people like you that give humans a bad name.

Old 12-18-2010, 12:32 PM

787 posts, read 1,770,822 times
Quote:
I love it when people like you try to coat the economic situation here in Las Vegas. Its people like you that give humans a bad name.
I believe I specifically said that the economic situation is not good. Let me re-iterate (for the third time, since apparently you can't comprehend an even slightly nuanced argument) that I was taking issue with the fact that you called Vegas a "dead zone" with respect to other "major cities"; a characterization I still contest.

More generally, I took (and still take) issue with your over-dramatization. Too many people do that nowadays, both in these sorts of discussions, and in government (congress, elections, etc). It specifically leads to the "dumbing down" of legitimate debate, and therefore to unproductive actions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas