Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 07:05 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,058,999 times

Advertisements

You are not in Nevada you are in Las Vegas. CCSD is a reasonably good large school system.

Nevada does badly as a state only because it is almost entirely one large and one medium sized school system.

Big urban school systems are never as good as their suburban and rural equivalents.

But compare CCSD to LA or Chicago or Phoenix and it does alright.

It will not outrank Palo Alto. Then again no where does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2011, 01:44 AM

4,053 posts, read 8,217,149 times
My friends in the district say that more cuts are coming. Good luck in your job search.

Old 01-02-2011, 08:31 AM

32 posts, read 55,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
You are not in Nevada you are in Las Vegas. CCSD is a reasonably good large school system.

Nevada does badly as a state only because it is almost entirely one large and one medium sized school system.

Big urban school systems are never as good as their suburban and rural equivalents.

But compare CCSD to LA or Chicago or Phoenix and it does alright.

It will not outrank Palo Alto. Then again no where does.
Sorry Olecapt. I have to disagree with you. My son was attending Arbor View High School two years ago. Great neighborhood with great looking high schools. We were so disappointed on what they were teaching him that we moved him to a private school. I have talked with many different parents from all parts of Las Vegas. They all have the same conclusion that the educational system of Las Vegas is deplorable.

Old 01-02-2011, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman12 View Post
Sorry Olecapt. I have to disagree with you. My son was attending Arbor View High School two years ago. Great neighborhood with great looking high schools. We were so disappointed on what they were teaching him that we moved him to a private school. I have talked with many different parents from all parts of Las Vegas. They all have the same conclusion that the educational system of Las Vegas is deplorable.
As compared to where? With the exception of Meadows the local private schools don't do any better than the good public high schools which includes Arbor View. And Ad Tech is about as good as Meadows. For instance on National Merit Semi-Finalists Meadows 12, Coronado 8, PV 7, Clark 6, Gorman 6.

For a bright kid you use Ad Tech or one of the Community College High Schools or a magnet program. For a regular kid the good high schools should be sufficient.

Old 01-02-2011, 01:14 PM

1,558 posts, read 4,764,719 times
We just moved to Southwest Il, prior to that my son has attended CCSD from K-8th grade. He was in all accelerated classes. We got here and found out he would be going to a small school. The school is very focused on academics. School day is a an extra hour compared to Vegas, and has to periods of math. Before they would place him in honor classes he had to take a placement test. He did well enough to be placed in Algebra Honors. Based on that I think CCSD did there job in educating him, of course I did my part at home.

Old 01-02-2011, 02:20 PM

18 posts, read 39,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
My friends in the district say that more cuts are coming. Good luck in your job search.
I simply don't understand this. Why would more cuts be coming if they are accepting applications for every subject under the sun?

Seems kinda misleading to me. I guess we'll see. Thanks for the info.

Old 01-02-2011, 03:07 PM

15,370 posts, read 38,985,577 times
cuts are coming but remember that the new Gov wants everything based upon performancea LOT of teachers may get the big boot finally

Old 01-02-2011, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
cuts are coming but remember that the new Gov wants everything based upon performancea LOT of teachers may get the big boot finally
I think it reasonably clear that no one has the faintest idea how to measure teacher performance.

LA Times just did a series on the subject using the performance of the classes taught by a teacher over a couple of years. Basically how did the class compare to others from start to finish...so a teacher did good if the class advanced more than a grade and bad if the students advanced less than a grade.

The findings were that you could find the good and bad teachers but tell little about the middle. And that no one had the faintest idea who was good or bad...teachers thought well of turned out to be poor. Teachers thought borderline or less turned out to be great.

We do not have such statistics for Clark County unfortunately.

And you would still have the reasonably common case where only 20% of the students at the start of the year are there at the end.

So Sandoval can claim he is going to reward performance...but he has no way to do it.

Old 01-02-2011, 04:03 PM

15,370 posts, read 38,985,577 times
best way would be to fire everyone walking and start over....but prolly NOT the most practical

Old 01-02-2011, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
best way would be to fire everyone walking and start over....but prolly NOT the most practical
Always a charming idea...but how would you tell the new ones were any better?

The other always appropriate answer is to fire the administrators and hire more teachers. That is to make sure we can't measure how well or badly the teachers are doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: