Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 02:51 PM

2,404 posts, read 10,685,477 times

Advertisements

this is exactly what i was trying to get at...the administration when I went there were complete *******s...one of the counselors even told the students to drop out if they couldn't handle it...you can read some of my other posts about this horrible school if you search for them...

Last edited by lvkewlkid; 10-01-2008 at 03:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2008, 04:00 PM

31 posts, read 72,880 times
You would only hope private schools are better...these same problems exist there too. The main difference is you pay hell lot of money.

I truly appreciate your concerns. Something needs to be done here. May be all the like minded parents can go to the school admin and straighten up things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller Parent View Post
I am the parent of an honor student who has attended Bob Miller Middle School for 3 years. Their scores are great for this area, but thier focus is not on the kids.

The administration is so concerned with thier "image" and controlling the kids they have taken all the fun and humanity out of attending school. Students are treated like convicts and the school is run in "lock-down" mode.

While safety is always a factor and a concern for us all, Bob Miller has taken this concept to an absurd extreme.

The children cannot touch one another in any way, e.g, they cannot shake hands or tap one another on the shoulder.

Contrary to the CCSD written policy, the children are not treated with respect by most of the admin. In fact, they are spoken to harshly, threatened and intimidated daily with reprimand and suspension.

The expectation communicated to the children daily is that they will behave badly if not completely controlled. The approach used by this school's admin is stiffling at the very least and deprives the children of developing appropriate social & coping skills.

The Deans this year announced to the children at the beginning of the year that the teachers were entirely too "soft" and that in order to ensure that children were held accountable for tardies, the classroom doors would be locked when the 3 minute passing period ended so the children would have to go to admin and get written up.

There are numerous disturbing examples of Bob Miller's unfriendly and hostille approach to "controlling the children." It infuriates and saddens me, and if I had the means, I would put my son in private school where he would be treated with tolerance, respect, kindness, encouragement & support by the adult professionals in positions of power.

This is simply not the case at Bob Miller Middle School. The children are expected to behave badly and are treated as such. Consequently, some children do just that. Others are frustrated and have given up, feeling defeated and in a hopeless situation. I have a friend whose daughter is suspended regularly. Infractions leading to this harsh penalty include chewing gum, carrying a purse to class, tardies and insuborinate "expressions" on her face. This kid is not a bad person. She just has too much personality which has earned her a bad reputation with the admin. She is doomed until she leaves Bob Miller and she knows it.

How sad that these kids are not shown how much they can accomplish in life's journey with tolerance, patience, postive reinforcement and kindness. Bob Miller looks good in the public eye (the primary concern of the very political principal who does not have time for the children or their parents), but you cannot always judge a book by its cover.

Old 10-01-2008, 06:23 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,197,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srtella2000 View Post
You would only hope private schools are better...these same problems exist there too. The main difference is you pay hell lot of money.

I truly appreciate your concerns. Something needs to be done here. May be all the like minded parents can go to the school admin and straighten up things.
I think you will find very few like minded parents. Miller is the number 1 middle school in Las Vegas and is thirsted after by parents. Has almost no turnover. Loved by teachers in general.

Kind of like Meadows. An exceptionally good private school but hate by a minority of parents who claim it is Carolyn Goodmans prison. Very strict and tough and well loved by alumni and parents - except for the ones who hate it.

Old 10-01-2008, 07:39 PM

1,558 posts, read 4,783,561 times
Kids who want to learn are happy in strict schools.

I wish that schools were not worried about funding from enrollment numbers and would just tell kids who don't want to learn and just challenge the teacher's authority to go home and not come back.

Unfortunately many kids don't receive the discipline they need at home and then the schools are force to spend more time discipling kids to keep order instead of teaching them academics.

My son told me again this week that he is thankful for his strict teachers that maintain discipline in the classroom and wishes all his teachers were like that. He is a middle school student.

Old 10-01-2008, 10:14 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,989,097 times
is this a public school? didnt think you could lock the doors to the classrooms

Old 10-01-2008, 10:22 PM

2,404 posts, read 10,685,477 times
yeh, you can lock them from the outside just not from the inside...its called tardy lockout, most schools do it once a week, it sounds like miller is abusing it...it was really difficult when i went there when they closed burkholder and sent all of their students to miller, they still expected us to make it to class in 4 minutes and they added a whole bunch of portables in the tennis area, which was very far from the other part of campus and took longer than 4 minutes, of course when i went their they didn't have tardy lockout, but it was up to the teacher's discretion to dock you participation points or refer you to the dean...

Old 10-02-2008, 09:33 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,197,261 times
Lock down is a standard tactic anytime anything exciting happens.

Old 03-19-2009, 02:12 PM

1 posts, read 2,807 times
Default Good School

The school is only as good as how parents educate their kids period...unfortunately, too many parents made the mistake of thinking good teachers and schools will make their kids good students. That equation is far too incomplete. I place family education after school as important or maybe more than classroom instructions. This is the dividing line between A & B honor roll and C & D students.
Hyde Park Acadamy and Bob Miller are two of the best middle schools in Clark County, Nevada. If you wants your kids to be a great student, you have to put lots time & efforts into their homework and education. Please don't blame the school or teachers. They can only do so much with 20 -30 kids in six hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: