Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2011, 07:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,520 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for advise on how other people have found ways to save time and money but even more importantly, how did they break the cycle of wasting time on habits and truly focus on things they really love to do. My new years resolution is to save money on the things I buy every month that are necessary but not to purchase anything else for an entire year. I'm simplifying my life and finding money and time for things I really care about; not another purse, not another happy meal, or that new sheet set I just have to have. I found many web sites to save me money. mod cut: when I have to buy a dental service or printer cartriges. But I'm looking for more advise than just coupons. Thanks. Cindy

Last edited by scirocco22; 01-01-2011 at 09:51 PM.. Reason: unsolicited/10-post rule
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2011, 07:06 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,554,396 times
Check out places like Savers. Once a week a lot of inventory will be priced at like a dollar or less to move it out. Some nice stuff shows up here and there you just have to look. They always seem to have a full stock of dishes, cups, pots and pans though for cheap.

Old 01-01-2011, 07:32 PM

11,154 posts, read 15,937,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crcmartin View Post
I'm looking for advise on how other people have found ways to save time and money but even more importantly, how did they break the cycle of wasting time on habits and truly focus on things they really love to do.
Check out the Frugal Living forum:

//www.city-data.com/forum/frugal-living/

Here is just one example from that forum: A 141-post thread on frugal household tips.

//www.city-data.com/forum/fruga...-you-have.html

Old 01-01-2011, 08:01 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,802,956 times
Recognize that sometimes saving money and saving time are at odds with one another. If you want to add landscaping to your home, you can (1) pay someone or (2) do it yourself. The former costs more money but less of your time whereas the latter costs less money but takes more of your time.

Also realize that in some fundamental sense, no one ever saves time - one day is comprised of 24 hours, so to speak, and there is no way to save one of those hours in a piggy bank for future use.

So, when people say they wish to save time, they frequently mean they wish to alter what they "spend" time on.

At the end of the day, it is about determining your goals & objectives then allocating time to work on achieving them. You have to know what you want to accomplish by the end of the year - then break it down to intermediate objectives & key results you wish to accomplish.

One effective method for many people is the 7 Habits of Highly Effective People approach, but this is not for everyone. See 7 Habits of Highly Effective People for a quick summary.

At any rate, many people who do not create personal plans this way find they have certainly been busy for months on end but they haven't actually made much progress towards goals.

Some people go so far as to plan their weekend in advance so they know what they want to accomplish by Sunday evening and how they will have allocated time & money starting Friday night.

This approach isn't for everyone, of course. But the notion of plans and planning are still valid for even the most laid-back among us.

The real question is: what do you want to accomplish by the end of the year? Get a pilot's license? Be a better wife/mother/sister/daughter -- as measured by ??? Reduce personal debt by $X ?

etc, etc.

Old 01-02-2011, 09:15 PM

98 posts, read 541,450 times
As a recent transplant to Las Vegas I have found Craigslist to be crazy full of deals. With all the foreclosures here it seems a lot of people are selling off EVERYTHING!
I recently bought a lot of 10 Luxitron dimmers for $1 a piece, they sell for about $18 a piece at Hardware stores.
I went to a garage sale and asked for a comforter for free to wrap all my purchases in and they just gave it to me.
Las Vegas is bargain city!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: