Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 03:44 PM

11,175 posts, read 16,008,375 times

Advertisements

As I approach the one-year anniversary of my real estate closing, I have to decide whether to renew the home warranty policy originally purchased for me by the previous owner. Although I have had a good experience so far (two a/c units repaired over the summer and a toilet replaced), I wasn't sure I wanted to fork over $720 myself to extend the policy for another year ($425 for basic coverage plus several options).

Coincidentally, we began having problems a couple of weeks ago with our 20+ year old Thermador combination double wall oven/convection oven/microwave. The top oven, which also functioned as a microwave and a convection oven, worked fine, but the bottom oven only worked as a broiler. One of the heating elements was malfunctioning and it would not operate in regular bake mode. Not a major issue for us (especially since we don't cook often), but still something we wanted repaired.

A repairmen came out, and after diagnosing the problem, stated that he was pretty sure that parts were no longer available for this unit and that the home warranty company would be back in touch with me to discuss how to remedy the situation. I decided that I would wait until this was resolved before I decided whether to renew the warranty.

Well today I received a phone call from the company and I was given several options from which to choose. The first option was to have a specific KitchenAid unit put in that had similar features. The second would be a cash option and I would receive a check in the mail and then I could purchase whatever I wanted. The third option was a giftcard from Sears in the amount of the cash option plus a bonus of 5%.

I inquired about the amount of the cash option, fully expecting to be offered a few hundred dollars that would take into effect the depreciated value of my 20 year old oven. I was pleasantly surprised to learn that the company would send me $2,714 which they said would be the cost of the KitchenAid appliance, plus delivery, plus installation.

Needless to say, not only did I choose the cash option, but I decided to renew the policy for another year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 03:54 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,746,538 times
My Home Warranty came in very handy.

First the heating unit went out and that was $ 1,500. My cost : $ 55 Deductible.

Then the air conditioner went out and that was $ 3,000 . My cost $ 55 plus I had to pay for the crane to put it on the roof That was 400-600... steep but well worth it.

Without the warranty I would had to pay the 3 grand for the AC and the crane

My Home Warranty was $ 375.00 a year . It was Old Republic .

Old 01-13-2011, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
My Home Warranty was $ 375.00 a year . It was Old Republic .
That's mine as well. BTW, the service call fee (deductible) is rising from $55 to $60 this year on new or renewed contracts. Still well worth the cost.

Old 01-13-2011, 04:29 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
Wow! I'm surprised.

Old 01-13-2011, 04:42 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,340,514 times
I'd still like to know if I can get a home warranty even though we've lived in this house for nine years.

Old 01-13-2011, 05:35 PM

1,365 posts, read 4,470,276 times
Old Republic Home Protection - Home Warranty Service Here is there website, I believe you can. I too have them and have had great service. On the side note had also dealt with them as a contractor and they were the best ones by far to deal with and provided the most amount of money to the home owners.

Old 01-13-2011, 06:04 PM

450 posts, read 1,513,853 times
I have Old Republic as well and just renewed for $550 with Gold and two add ons for the washer/dryer because it makes an annoying squeak at the end of a cycle. I know they're about to go, but better to have that for an entire year to cover additional appliances, than pay for a brand new washer/dryer for $500.00+. The a/c unit has not been replaced, to my knowledge, since the home was built in 2002, so I'm sure that will be coming up sooner than later as well. I feel better knowing I have the coverage, just in case. I think it's a great thing to have.

Old 01-13-2011, 09:04 PM

4,947 posts, read 10,809,283 times
Any thoughts on National Home Warranty company?

Old 01-14-2011, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeygirl4 View Post
I have Old Republic as well and just renewed for $550 with Gold and two add ons for the washer/dryer because it makes an annoying squeak at the end of a cycle. I know they're about to go, but better to have that for an entire year to cover additional appliances, than pay for a brand new washer/dryer for $500.00+.
I'm obviously a fan of home warranties, but I'm not sure the addition of the washer/dryer option is a good deal for you if you're dealing with relatively low-end equipment. You're paying $75 for coverage plus a $55 or $60 service call if something were to go wrong, and you're not even guaranteed to get a replacement; just a repair of your old equipment. You might be better not insuring the washer/dryer and just saving the $130 and use it toward the purchase of new appliances when necessary.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:48 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,746,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
I'd still like to know if I can get a home warranty even though we've lived in this house for nine years.
I would think so Buzz. Relatively low cost for you . I would give Old Republic a call
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas