Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 07:44 PM

3 posts, read 10,081 times

Advertisements

Please help. Me and my family are moving from Hawaii. I know and before I get bashed for wanting to leave "paradise" could I get some information. I have been looking around and am worried about where exactly we should look. Where is a Safe area? Clean area? It doesn't have to be a snooty area just somewhere we could have friends over and not be ashamed. We like sports so somewhere with a strong community of youth football, cheerleadering, flagfootball, soccer and basketball. Maybe if u know an area with Polynesian culture. I'm Caucasian/ Hawaiian and my husband is Samoan. A lot of people from Hawaii vacation and move to Las Vegas. We are tried of struggling with the cost of living. I have been offered a job out in henderson. Please help. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 08:30 PM

1,460 posts, read 2,808,160 times
Aloha!

If it were me I would live around Horizon Ridge Pkwy and Green Valley Ranch.

Schools over there are awesome. Twitchel and Vanderburg.

They got the Henderson Pavillion, parks sports you name it.

Old 01-18-2011, 10:02 PM

12 posts, read 57,289 times
It seems like I have run in to a lot of Hawaiin folks since moving out to Las Vegas (I'm not from there, just observing). Henderson is just fine, perfectly suburban everywhere except downtown (also called "Henderson Town Site" in all the real estate stuff). As already mentioned, Horizon Ridge and Green Valley Ranch are the best known nice areas, and Henderson has a lot of organized sports around the area. My girls played softball and basketball from Day 1 living here and I know there's a fair amount of cheer and soccer around too plus a lot of individual classes and activities at the recreation centers. (Some of the Hawaiian folks I know are or were on an outrigger team too.)

Old 01-18-2011, 10:19 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,567,950 times
I sometimes wonder if there are so many people from Hawaii here because people jump from one spot to another that is thought of as "paradise" only to experience the realities once they get there.

Old 01-19-2011, 02:52 PM

Thank you all for you comments. Its a big help. I'm worried since Hawaii is all I know but I hope to find a community for my family to grow.

Old 01-19-2011, 03:40 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,496,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
I sometimes wonder if there are so many people from Hawaii here because people jump from one spot to another that is thought of as "paradise" only to experience the realities once they get there.
It might be due to a misintepretation of words...as Vegas is known to be a place where one can get lei'ed very easily.

Old 01-19-2011, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
The reason were moving from "paradise" or What so many call paradise is because the cost of food, gas, housing are over priced. Also my oldest son has been tested recently and scores at least 2 grade levels above. And the schools in Hawaii are so behind the nations standards. We thought about private but at $10000 a year that was put of the question. We have thought long and hard about the change and move. Every place will have it good n bad. Not to mention we will get to see so many family n friends being Las Vegas is called the ninth island. And hawaii residents cant seem to stay away. Lol

Old 07-20-2011, 06:50 PM

8 posts, read 19,323 times
We may be relocating to Henderson. Is downtown considered safe? I'm interested in an area where I can walk to most places I need to go--a grocery store, bank, coffee bar, et. al. within a mile of home. Our children are 7, 8, & 18, so schools are a priority for us as well. Thanks for your help!

Old 07-20-2011, 07:01 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,200,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFreedomTribe View Post
We may be relocating to Henderson. Is downtown considered safe? I'm interested in an area where I can walk to most places I need to go--a grocery store, bank, coffee bar, et. al. within a mile of home. Our children are 7, 8, & 18, so schools are a priority for us as well. Thanks for your help!
"Downtown" Henderson is older, somewhat beat up, lower socio-economically and weak schools.

It is however survivable if it is what you can afford. There are other areas that might work in 89015 though walkability and schools may be hard problems.

You can have it all in 89012 but it is more expensive.

Old 07-20-2011, 07:45 PM

8 posts, read 19,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
"Downtown" Henderson is older, somewhat beat up, lower socio-economically and weak schools.

It is however survivable if it is what you can afford. There are other areas that might work in 89015 though walkability and schools may be hard problems.

You can have it all in 89012 but it is more expensive.

Thanks for the information! I appreciate you taking the time!
I'll look at the 89012 area.
Some downtown's are coming back and others aren't. It doesn't hurt to ask, right?! :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas