Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 09:08 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,244,020 times

Advertisements

Report: UMC Hospital facing major financial troubles - KTNV ABC,Channel 13,Las Vegas,Nevada,News,Weather,Sports,Entertainment,KTN V.com,Action News .:. (http://www.ktnv.com/story/13942510/report-umc-hospital-could-close-without - broken link)

Could this have anything to do with it???

"With four new illegal immigrants now having their dialysis done at UMC's emergency room -- and monthly visits jumping from 216 in August to 243 currently -- the billed charges for the 84 illegal immigrants are now at about $2.4 million a month -- or $28 million a year."

More illegal immigrants getting emergency treatment at UMC - News - ReviewJournal.com

Old 01-31-2011, 09:17 PM

80 posts, read 151,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Report: UMC Hospital facing major financial troubles - KTNV ABC,Channel 13,Las Vegas,Nevada,News,Weather,Sports,Entertainment,KTN V.com,Action News .:. (http://www.ktnv.com/story/13942510/report-umc-hospital-could-close-without - broken link)

"With four new illegal immigrants now having their dialysis done at UMC's emergency room -- and monthly visits jumping from 216 in August to 243 currently -- the billed charges for the 84 illegal immigrants are now at about $2.4 million a month -- or $28 million a year."

More illegal immigrants getting emergency treatment at UMC - News - ReviewJournal.com

Our "kindness" is going to keep costing us more and more. They should be refused service. I think illegals are part of the reason our schools rank last also. When will we wake up........too late, I'm afraid.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:24 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,568,409 times
I remember hearing advice once that if you tell a hospital you will pay your bill upfront but only if they cut your bill in half they will oblige. They hardly even expect to get paid by anyone without insurance at all. The illegal immigration problem is so distorted by the media at this point that the government seems to be baffled about how to do anything about it. I think they are hoping it will smooth over until the next batch of elected clowns move into office.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:42 PM

2,753 posts, read 6,665,720 times
I've been having good treatment at UMC, but I only have a couple of months left, if that.

Old 02-01-2011, 01:20 AM

6,385 posts, read 11,886,305 times
UMC handles far more legal residents and citizens who can't pay than illegals. When an illegal goes to the emergency room, its life or death in most cases. I highly doubt they are the sole cause of UMC's troubles. But it does make for a good news story.

Old 02-01-2011, 04:02 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,335,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
UMC handles far more legal residents and citizens who can't pay than illegals. When an illegal goes to the emergency room, its life or death in most cases. I highly doubt they are the sole cause of UMC's troubles. But it does make for a good news story.
Do you have data to back this up?

People on this thread are not saying that treating illegals was the SOLE cause of UMC's troubles. That said, this is costing the center a lot of money and should be addressed. It's not even a sexy news headline, as most mainstream media outlets support open borders and social services for illegals.

Old 02-01-2011, 05:33 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post

That is billable at an emergency room rate. Ten times more than the actual cost of dialysis. I would think the rate is slow enough that it will kill them quick...

Old 02-01-2011, 07:29 PM

80 posts, read 151,428 times
Quote:
Obviously you haven't been in too many emergency rooms. Unfortunately I have been over the past three yrs or so, and it is always filled with people who don't speak English. Illegals use the emergency for their "office visits."

Old 02-01-2011, 07:34 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmgirlok View Post
Obviously you haven't been in too many emergency rooms. Unfortunately I have been over the past three yrs or so, and it is always filled with people who don't speak English. Illegals use the emergency for their "office visits."
Hmm that is strange. I spent 6 hours last April in the emergency room at Mountain View. There was a couple of hispanics in a cloud of white guys.

Could it be the area demographics determine who uses the ER?

Old 02-01-2011, 07:56 PM

2,076 posts, read 4,073,711 times
Quote:
Last year UMC's deficit was 70 million, projected 80 million this year. If we know that 28 million of that (approx 33%) is solely from illegals on dialysis, I think we have a good place to start closing the deficit.

Ultimately we have to decide as a society how we are willing to deal with medically indigent people, both domestic and illegal. We either agree that you don't get services if you don't pay which means throwing sick people out into the street or we decide that we will pay for them in which case we need to adjust taxes to pay for these services.

Realistically, I don't think I want us throwing sick people into the street, but I really can't make that decision since I have no idea what is the real tax burden of actually paying for that care. If it requires me to be taxed at 75%, I'm probably going to feel differently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas