Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 03:11 PM

255 posts, read 361,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chest Rockwell View Post
Why should it matter whether or not a teacher's first language is not English? Whether or not they speak fluent English should be the only concern, and I can't believe that the school district, for all of its flaws, would fail to confirm fluency before hiring teachers.
I work as a Software Engineer for a company that employs many people from various parts of the world. Everyone speaks fluent English, but some speak with such heavy accents that it is quite difficult to always understand them; especially if they tend to speak rapidly. I imagine having a foreign born teacher who speaks with a heavy accent could prove to be an extra burden for slower students who are already struggling in difficult subject areas like physics and higher mathematics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2007, 03:13 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,460,936 times
"Fluency" includes accuracy of pronunciation. Sometimes that is not checked for persons entering teaching.

Old 08-10-2007, 06:58 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,200,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brosati View Post
I work as a Software Engineer for a company that employs many people from various parts of the world. Everyone speaks fluent English, but some speak with such heavy accents that it is quite difficult to always understand them; especially if they tend to speak rapidly. I imagine having a foreign born teacher who speaks with a heavy accent could prove to be an extra burden for slower students who are already struggling in difficult subject areas like physics and higher mathematics.
I had a Scottish Industrial Designer working in my organization for whom I needed a translator...He spoke English but only the English could dig it.

My mother reports that, when a newly arrived resident of rural Ohio, she discovered that she could not understand her hoosier Ice man. They used notes to communicate.

I had a calculus instructor in college who spoke perfect English and was absolutely indecipherable. However his boards filled with tight spaced equations were absolutely superb teaching aids if you knew a couple of people good at hard math.

Language is funny stuff.

Old 08-10-2007, 07:07 PM

1,428 posts, read 3,161,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chest Rockwell View Post
Why should it matter whether or not a teacher's first language is not English? Whether or not they speak fluent English should be the only concern, and I can't believe that the school district, for all of its flaws, would fail to confirm fluency before hiring teachers.
Man, I wish I could agree with you, but speaking of the English teachers at the school at which I teach, some of them aren't particularly proficient speakers or writers -- and they're native-born. I'm not talking about the stray typo but about serious grammar problems, spelling problems, punctuation problems, and other issues.

If they're that lax about native speakers, it doesn't inspire confidence in their ability to hire fluent non-native speakers, although I don't think one can solidly draw a conclusion on that score.

Old 08-11-2007, 04:01 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,284,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Wallace View Post
Man, I wish I could agree with you, but speaking of the English teachers at the school at which I teach, some of them aren't particularly proficient speakers or writers -- and they're native-born. I'm not talking about the stray typo but about serious grammar problems, spelling problems, punctuation problems, and other issues.
Now that would explain the high amount of horrendous spellers in Clark county.

Old 08-11-2007, 06:29 AM

1,755 posts, read 5,332,359 times
Quote:

If they're that lax about native speakers, it doesn't inspire confidence in their ability to hire fluent non-native speakers, although I don't think one can solidly draw a conclusion on that score.
As America has no official language, why does your perception of spelling and grammar carry any weight?

Old 08-11-2007, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff View Post
As America has no official language, why does your perception of spelling and grammar carry any weight?
Does English have to be America's official language for my perception of spelling and grammar to carry any weight?

Old 08-11-2007, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Does English have to be America's official language for my perception of spelling and grammar to carry any weight?
And what would be your reference point? Students and teachers obviously see their view of spelling and grammar as acceptable. Spanish, Ebonics, or English should be given a level playing field if there is no official language.

Old 08-11-2007, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff View Post
And what would be your reference point? Students and teachers obviously see their view of spelling and grammar as acceptable. Spanish, Ebonics, or English should be given a level playing field if there is no official language.
If I were teaching Spanish, I would expect my students to spell Spanish words correctly. If I were teaching Ebonics, I would expect my students to spell Ebonics words correctly, and because I am teaching English, I expect -- surprise! -- my students to spell English words correctly.

Moreover, if you're a teacher -- an English teacher, especially -- one would think it would be incumbent on them to spell and punctuate and use words with a reasonable degree of accuracy. The thing is, I genuinely don't believe that having an official language would change this problem in any way, because as I said in my PP, the language-misusers are native speakers of English and do not speak Ebonics or any creole or dialect of English. Nope, I think we have to chalk that up to poor hiring standards, actually.

Old 08-11-2007, 07:15 AM

CW: I admire your intentions, but the deteriorization of language and culture are where America is headed. While foundations are important in my opinion, the bottom line today is,--- can you communicate? As the number of individuals that no longer abide by spelling and grammar norms increase, the relevance of said rules decrease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: