Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 08:01 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,200,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbov View Post
Ok, so what is going to happen in early April when the bank takes over?

How will I be officially informed that the bank has taken over the property?

How long will I be given to vacate the premises or work something out with them?
Get your ducks in a line and then wait. They will get in touch with you. Probably knock on your door. They may well tell you that you have to be out in five days...ask for it in writing.

Tell them you would not mind staying. If they are not interested ask for help in moving.

And trust karma...in this case it probably favors you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 11:06 PM

2,076 posts, read 4,073,195 times
I assume you received a notice of default or breach, if that is the case, you still have quite awhile before they will sell the property. The final notice you'll receive will be the notice of trustee sale, which should be approx 21 days prior to auction, if it isn't postponed.

Due to Obama's home's bill that was passed, if you have a valid lease paying market rent and the home is foreclosed on then you can stay until the end of your lease assuming you continue making rent payments to the new owner (whether that is the bank or a private investor). The only exception to this is if the new owner wants to occupy the home as their primary residence, if that is the case then they have to give you 90 days, but you must continue to make your rent payment to them. As soon as you miss rent, then you're in 5 day pay or quit territory and you can be evicted.

After the notice of trustee sale and then the auction, someone will most likely post at your door or just come talk to you. They may offer cash for keys, but you can choose to stay (they may not tell you this). A good cash for keys offer is 1-2 months rent.

Quote:
Ok, so what is going to happen in early April when the bank takes over?

How will I be officially informed that the bank has taken over the property?

How long will I be given to vacate the premises or work something out with them?

Old 02-18-2011, 12:28 AM

121 posts, read 272,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
one word.... karma
Are you saying I have good karma or bad?

Perhaps you should have used 2 words...

The initial karmic wrongdoing was when my landlord executed a 12 month lease with me, and stopped making all payments related to the property that very same month (the county recorder shows liens from the HOA, lender, and the city).

Old 02-18-2011, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieJeff View Post
I assume you received a notice of default or breach, if that is the case, you still have quite awhile before they will sell the property. The final notice you'll receive will be the notice of trustee sale, which should be approx 21 days prior to auction, if it isn't postponed.

Due to Obama's home's bill that was passed, if you have a valid lease paying market rent and the home is foreclosed on then you can stay until the end of your lease assuming you continue making rent payments to the new owner (whether that is the bank or a private investor). The only exception to this is if the new owner wants to occupy the home as their primary residence, if that is the case then they have to give you 90 days, but you must continue to make your rent payment to them. As soon as you miss rent, then you're in 5 day pay or quit territory and you can be evicted.

After the notice of trustee sale and then the auction, someone will most likely post at your door or just come talk to you. They may offer cash for keys, but you can choose to stay (they may not tell you this). A good cash for keys offer is 1-2 months rent.
Thanks for the solid breakdown

However my lease expired this week, so technically I am month to month. Does this change my course of action from what you outlined above?

Old 02-18-2011, 02:40 PM

2,076 posts, read 4,073,195 times
In that case my understanding is you'd be given 90 days, you would have to continue making rent payments to the new owner though.

Rents and Rants: President Obama extends and clarifies the Protecting Tenants at Foreclosure Act

Quote:
Thanks for the solid breakdown

However my lease expired this week, so technically I am month to month. Does this change my course of action from what you outlined above?

Old 02-18-2011, 06:04 PM

654 posts, read 1,322,828 times
Quote:
one word.... Karma
+1

Old 02-18-2011, 06:28 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,991,974 times
Quote:
Are you saying I have good karma or bad?

Perhaps you should have used 2 words...

The initial karmic wrongdoing was when my landlord executed a 12 month lease with me, and stopped making all payments related to the property that very same month (the county recorder shows liens from the HOA, lender, and the city).
that has nothing to do with you.. its between him and the bank. you arent getting hurt in this situation and you are living free.... now you should figure out the karma...

Old 02-19-2011, 02:43 PM

Quote:
that has nothing to do with you.. its between him and the bank. you arent getting hurt in this situation and you are living free.... now you should figure out the karma...
Nothing to do with me?!

I am the one physically occupying the property, so I am the one who will be paying (with time and money) to move. The landlord had no reason to think the bank would wait this long to foreclose, so he had no moral qualms with me being evicted before my 12 month lease ran out.

Does that sound like an honorable contract, executed in good faith?

And, as I mentioned, I am not sure how long I plan on staying in town. The jobs I am qualified for (video production) are primarily in LA, and that is where I consider my true home.

I work in a volatile industry (online poker), so I don't even know for sure how long my current job will exist.

When I signed the lease I was looking forward to a month to month arrangement after 12 months. Now I have to commit to another 12 months. If, for instance, the Harry Reid online poker bill had passed last month, which included a 15 month blackout period for online poker in the US, I don't know what would happen to my job.

And if you are worried about the bank, don't be. I would be simply recouping a small portion of the ATM fees I have paid to Wells Fargo over 20 years of banking with them.

Take your silly, superstitious talk of karma and go ride off into the sunset on a unicorn, pal.

Old 02-19-2011, 02:49 PM

1,374 posts, read 2,435,214 times
Quote:
Now I have to move and sign another 1 year lease, when I don't even know if I want to stay in my job and in this town for that long. So my problems and inconveniences are not limited to the lack of building access.

Why should I feel bad about asking for cash for keys? I am looking at this as a business situation/decision. I am being forced to move against my best interests. The downside is already established. What is the matter with trying to maximize my upside?
Who says you have to sign another 1 year lease...there are plenty of 3, 6 month or even month-to-month apartement in LV.
I bet you were paying a below market rent for this place you have been staying, and that is why you wanted to take full advantage of it and stay.
You can fight all you want, but when it comes to fighting the bank, you'd better hire a laywer because they sure have good laywers already.

Old 02-19-2011, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott456 View Post
Who says you have to sign another 1 year lease...there are plenty of 3, 6 month or even month-to-month apartement in LV.
I bet you were paying a below market rent for this place you have been staying, and that is why you wanted to take full advantage of it and stay.
You can fight all you want, but when it comes to fighting the bank, you'd better hire a laywer because they sure have good laywers already.
This is true. But I was hoping to stay in the same building and it has a 12 month minimum lease requirement.

I am not going to get involved in a legal battle by any means. I am trying to maximize the benefits of my peculiar circumstance - not go to court.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas