Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 01:47 PM

1,374 posts, read 2,434,922 times

Advertisements

I am from the SF bay area in California. I paid about $75/month premium for my auto insurance with AAA. For the same coverage, I will have to pay $210/month in Las Vegas? why why why? Isn't that insane?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2011, 02:04 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,107,668 times
yep always has been always will be....cause of all the Kalifornicators that come over here n wreck their cars....+ the insurance companies love love love to stick it to Nevada

Old 02-19-2011, 02:32 PM

670 posts, read 1,104,372 times
Wow the OP is correct - I figured our auto insurance would go up but, i just went to our insurers website (USAA) and ran the calculation - Here in Vermont (pretty inexpensive auto insurance compared to the national average) we pay $630/month for our 4 cars. Moving to Nevada would raise our rate to $1830/month for the same cars, same coverage!

Does the same hold true for housing as well?

I can't imagine the insurance on a house in the desert is all that much?? low/no risk of flooding, tornadoes, hurricanes, ice storms, etc?? Of course, insurance premiums are not always calculated based on the most obvious circumstances.

I had heard that Nevada has some of the highest Auto Insurance in the nation. Oh well, no place is perfect!

Old 02-19-2011, 02:49 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,197,261 times
The various ratings by state tend to be all over the map...this one...

Car insurance rates - the most and least expensive states for car insurance

rates NV as 34th. Other have it as high as 9th or 10th. VT appears consistently low. CA varies from cheaper than NV to significantly more.

These annual premiums however don't show the kind of range that people are suggesting here. Most of the numbers listed would indicate all the SW is within 30% of each other.

My experience on coming here 16 years ago was a slight rise...but that was a while ago.

Old 02-19-2011, 03:12 PM

930 posts, read 1,817,912 times
like most states, we have an insurance commissioner thats supposed to look out for consumers but ends up being a rubber stamp bought and paid for by the insurance companies.

click on the consumers tab at their website and the first thing you see is:

"We’re here for you"

what a joke! reminds me of the public utilities commission for Las Vegas.

Nevada Division of Insurance

Old 02-19-2011, 03:17 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,711,373 times
When I moved here from San Jose, CA my auto insurance actually dropped. I think its because I own a home and used them as my home insurance also and I got the discounts. I was paying $140 per month for a full size GMC truck in CA. When I moved to LV, my premium is about $104 a month, and it went up to about $110 today. I'm sure there are many variables in this equation, so it may not be the same for everyone.

Old 02-19-2011, 05:15 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,493,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott456 View Post
I am from the SF bay area in California. I paid about $75/month premium for my auto insurance with AAA. For the same coverage, I will have to pay $210/month in Las Vegas? why why why? Isn't that insane?
Should not be a shock...if you've been reading this forum for awhile. Even so, you should have checked on this before moving. Let your experience be a warning to all others considering the move.

Old 02-19-2011, 05:23 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,565 posts, read 81,147,605 times
I don't think something as minor as $135/month would keep someone from moving to Nevada. probably it would be offset by the lack of an income tax.

vtvette, sounds like Vermont is really high too. I only have 3 cars but what we pay amounts to about $175 for them all. We pay it every 6 months. Full coverage on 2 with $250 deductible collision & comprehensive, and uninsured motorist. No collision on the 3rd as it's older and paid off. On the other hand, our gas is a few cents less than $3.50/gallon.

Old 02-19-2011, 06:13 PM

29 posts, read 45,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott456 View Post
Same here. I am from San Francisco also. I had Geico for 50 a months for 2 cars. Moved to Vegas and it jumped to 163 a months. It is also something to look forward to. In the bay area I paid 30 a month for PGandE. Expect your electricty and gas to go the roof!! In the summer, I paid 400 a montj for electrity only in the monthos of july, august and september. I am done in this town.

Old 02-19-2011, 07:25 PM

787 posts, read 1,776,438 times
I have Progressive, and moved here from NJ. My car insurance here in Vegas is 33% LESS than it was in NJ, with exactly the same coverage, same carrier, same cars, same drivers.

People need to quit generalizing - your personal experience is neither definitive, nor representative. So don't draw conclusions from it. It's just a single data-point. If you want to generalize, look up some stats (as Olecapt did), and figure out which ones you can trust by scrutinizing the data-sources and statistical methods used.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas