Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 09:34 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,018,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecnj View Post
Everyone advises that I do research, but honestly, no one has been able to provide a comparison list and the three realtors I've interviewed tell me I can only learn about specific HOA fees when I bid on a specific property. Why would anyone buy in Vegas without knowing this information???
Ridiculous. I used ziprealty when I was conducting my long-distance house-hunting research and that info was included in most if not all of the listings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 01:42 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Ridiculous. I used ziprealty when I was conducting my long-distance house-hunting research and that info was included in most if not all of the listings.
Absolutely correct. Even if you find the realtor of your dreams, do your own due diligence as well. Take everything with a grain of salt but do read Zip and check Zillow too. It's good for you to know what else has sold in the area and for how much in addition to all the SID/LID/HOA info you can scrape up.

It's easy to know if a listed price is fair when you can look up everything that has sold in the past year and get the $/SF. Speaking in general terms, the house you want isn't worth much more than the others in the neighborhood.

Old 03-07-2011, 01:53 PM

787 posts, read 1,776,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post

Yeah, when I was house-hunting (I also moved from NJ), any HOA fee, master-plan fee, and/or SIDS/LIDS appeared on the MLS sheets that my realtor printer out. Pretty basic stuff.

To give some perspective, I was looking at single-family homes in Aliante and Centennial Hills. HOA fees were generally between $40-$80/mo, and anything in Aliante (if I recall correctly) had a roughly $50/mo master-community fee on top of the HOA fee. I also saw some houses that had a SID/LID, which seemed to work out to another $20-$80/mo.

I ended up buying in Centennial Hills where I have just a single HOA fee of $40/mo.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:51 PM

1 posts, read 3,045 times
Default Cecnj - "The HOA Advocate" is your best source of information.

Dankee is, Most likely a disgruntled Board member or Management Company that happens to be on the hall of shame.

Cecnj - The website "The HOA Advocate" is the best and most accurate information you will find in the Las Vegas, Henderson area. The only ones that don't like it are the worthless management Companies and Board Members.

My best suggestion is stay as far away from an HOA as you can. If you are someone who takes care of your property, yard maintenance and so on then why do you need an HOA. You don't. Just because you live in an HOA doesn't guarantee that you aren't going to be living next to a dump. HOA's and their management companies are there to fine you for every little thing. Lazy HOA Board Members hide behind Lazy Management Companies. Avoid HOA's like the plague. You will thank me later.

HOA's are in it for the money. It has nothing to do with keeping up your neighborhood. That is your job.

Old 03-17-2011, 09:53 AM

1,828 posts, read 5,313,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe.k View Post
Dankee is, Most likely a disgruntled Board member or Management Company that happens to be on the hall of shame.

Cecnj - The website "The HOA Advocate" is the best and most accurate information you will find in the Las Vegas, Henderson area. The only ones that don't like it are the worthless management Companies and Board Members.
Nope, I live in a house that has an HOA, but nothing more. If anyone could find ANYTHING on that ridiculous site you might be right. Take a web design class or even Google an article on web layout to get a few hints.

I could vomit all my content onto an html page and then post it as THE authoritative HOA website, but you beat me to the punch.

Also, you didn't need to create a second account samn3s, you can just keep whoring that page everywhere with your first one.

Old 03-17-2011, 10:08 AM

448 posts, read 1,055,416 times
iv'e seen HOA fees from under 200 - 1700 a month!! depending on what they include i would atleast ask if a higher fee includes things like a new roof or a major expence project so you don't have to worry about shelling out large amounts of money all up front. the fee will probily include water sewer trash and outside maintance cutting the grass and plating flowers. if you see a pice of property your interested in try to find the people who run it and ask what there HOA fee is and what it includes thats what i did my fee is 375 a month it includes trash water heat and ac and it covers a major expence like a new roof so i don't have to shell out big money. you did't mention if you were going condo or a house thats in an HOA area

Old 03-17-2011, 10:09 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,018,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe.k View Post

GTFO shill.

Old 03-17-2011, 10:10 AM

54 posts, read 138,451 times
I too feel there should be more transparency regarding HOA fees and what is entailed BEFORE I make an offer. Where I live the seller provides documents with 2 years of minutes to the listing realtor at time of listing, so that a potential buyer may view them in advance. In one strata property that I own the info is on the property website accessible by everyone.

I agree totally with Dankee's opinion on the HOA1234 website, it looks very unprofessional and would not take any information off the site as credible. I am sure your information is valid and important, but if you want people to take you serious then look serious.

Old 03-17-2011, 10:11 AM

448 posts, read 1,055,416 times
i heard the hoa and the boards are **** in nv i have a friend that lives in henderson and he hates the board

Old 03-17-2011, 11:53 AM

1,828 posts, read 5,313,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganto_2010 View Post
i heard the hoa and the boards are **** in nv i have a friend that lives in henderson and he hates the board
Every HOA board is different since they are comprised of volunteers that live in that particular neighborhood. Are you saying that everyone who lives in Nevada is incapable of successfully participating in an HOA board? Strange to lump all of NV together.

Outside of the HOA boards, you may be able to sort the bad management companies out from the good. The management companies are not your neighbors volunteering on the board, they are the company that most HOAs pay to enforce the CC&Rs (optional though, check individual HOAs). My current HOA uses Pinnacle, I think they are decent. They seem on top of administration and enforcement, but I do feel like their office fees are excessive for mailing, phone calls, etc.

You can vote HOA members in and out fairly easily (most are happy to get the heck out, lol), but replacing the management company usually requires a majority vote and requires some effort to maintain existing contracts and hand off to another management company.

Maybe someone here that knows which management companies are the best will speak up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas