Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 01:21 PM

41 posts, read 216,375 times

Advertisements

Olecapt,
I am trying to grasp your last reply,

"Most of the gurus who I think get it straight are suggesting the next year with significant appreciation will be 2009. I personally think their crystal ball lacks the range to get there...but I do believe them that nothing much is going to go on for the next 6 months and that any kind of a big runup in 2008 is unlikely. Then again nobody sees the slow decline in prices getting much worse. So those waiting for the big bubble burst should not hold their breath.
"

So based on the text above, when would be your "best time" if you want to buy a house (pretending you are in my situation)? Should i buy at the end of this year or mid 2009. This is $$$$ questions.

I am not a resaler so I think I will leave in the house for more than 5 years unless my job move me.

I will consider your opinion. Thx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2007, 02:04 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,184,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneway View Post
Olecapt,
I am trying to grasp your last reply,

"Most of the gurus who I think get it straight are suggesting the next year with significant appreciation will be 2009. I personally think their crystal ball lacks the range to get there...but I do believe them that nothing much is going to go on for the next 6 months and that any kind of a big runup in 2008 is unlikely. Then again nobody sees the slow decline in prices getting much worse. So those waiting for the big bubble burst should not hold their breath.
"

So based on the text above, when would be your "best time" if you want to buy a house (pretending you are in my situation)? Should i buy at the end of this year or mid 2009. This is $$$$ questions.

I am not a resaler so I think I will leave in the house for more than 5 years unless my job move me.

I will consider your opinion. Thx
Unless you find some drop dead gorgeous deal stay out until early spring then decide whether or not to stay out longer.

The other possible reason for jumping in is if it becomes clear interest rates are going up...particularly if they start to go up fast. I don't see that and historically interest rates drop second half over first. But that is the other indicator I would watch. Note that a one point interest rate rise offsets a 15% price drop. So it does not pay to miss a runup.

So watch and wait.

Old 07-27-2007, 08:18 AM

1,725 posts, read 3,461,827 times
Default Don't forget....

ELECTION late in 2008. No way interest rates go up before the election. I too am waiting for the right time to buy. I know basically what I want and have been looking for over a year.
I am in the military (21 years now) so is my wife. So we will be semi retired. We watch the incentives, read all the forums, watch the prices, mortgages, etc... I really don't think prices will drop very much at all in the Las Vegas area.
The #1 thing all the 'prognostigators' I feel miss, is that PEOPLE WANT TO LIVE IN VEGAS. You can't say that for a lot of other places in the country. Not Nevada, Vegas. So, while I honestly don't feel the bubble will burst, I feel rates will ease slightly and get your home before the DEMS win the White House.

How does closing before Holloween 2008 sound??

Old 07-27-2007, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfer View Post
ELECTION late in 2008. No way interest rates go up before the election. I too am waiting for the right time to buy. I know basically what I want and have been looking for over a year.
I am in the military (21 years now) so is my wife. So we will be semi retired. We watch the incentives, read all the forums, watch the prices, mortgages, etc... I really don't think prices will drop very much at all in the Las Vegas area.
The #1 thing all the 'prognostigators' I feel miss, is that PEOPLE WANT TO LIVE IN VEGAS. You can't say that for a lot of other places in the country. Not Nevada, Vegas. So, while I honestly don't feel the bubble will burst, I feel rates will ease slightly and get your home before the DEMS win the White House.

How does closing before Holloween 2008 sound??
Why decide now? Wait until early spring then look. If interest rates do decide to run up it will likely be in the spring.

Old 07-29-2007, 04:04 AM

1,725 posts, read 3,461,827 times
Thanks Olecapt, enjoy reading your posts.
What do you make of Meritage Homes slicing 100K off the price of a 2800 square foot home that was going for 460K? Does that seem crazy. Wife has been calling on it, just seems like even if not great market right now, something like that would be nice to own and go up in value over the next several years. Not looking for it as an investment property, looking at living there. Would probably rent the first two years though before I can get out there full time.
Curious to everyones thoughts? Thank You

Old 07-29-2007, 06:09 AM

262 posts, read 787,882 times
I am in the Construction field I do Plaster and Drywall here in Michigan and I am looking to move out to Vegas this fall, With the last two winters here I have had to take out loans to make it thur the winter time and I can't see us making it this winter, I have two little girls I'm helping raise with my girlfriend so we need a place with good schools cause they are 4 and 6 years old. I'm looking for a house that needs work since this is what I do for a living. I want to bring my Old World Plastering to Las Vegas and make some houses out there into works of art with Plaster Crown Mouldings or Cornice Mouldings not the foam stuff HD sells but real Plaster. I have a couple of Realtors looking for 3 bedroom homes for us now. I can't wait to make the move. anyone know of a good place to look for the Fixer Uppers? Thanks. oh if you would like to see some of my work go to url removed

Last edited by Marka; 09-06-2007 at 03:04 AM..

Old 07-30-2007, 07:38 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,484,904 times
Capt...correct me if I'm wrong...but LV is not known for particularly good schools of school environments, is it? That last poster's perception wanting to raise his two girls in good LV schools is wrong, isn't it? Especially in areas that have an abundance of fixer-uppers?

Old 07-30-2007, 08:57 AM

Las Vegas has a middlish urban school system. It has schools that range from exceptional to dreadful. The suburban ring ranges from adequate to exceptionally good. There are also scattered fine school in the central area...the most interesting perhaps being Hyde Park. Hyde Park is clearly the best middle school in town even though it is located in the central city.

The better high schools are all magnet schools generally not in the best suburban neighborhoods. Therer are a dozen or so adequate but not exceptional high schools that service the suburbs.

Most fixers in Vegas are randomly located. There are the gentrifying neighborhoods of downtown but they are a small part of the fixer population. Other fixers would not be suited to the sort of fixup discussed. High quality plaster in a 1950s concrete block home is probably not the right answer. So I would think he would have to look for the bigger homes in some of the nicer areas where the individual home has gone to the dogs. They were easy to find before the 2004 runup. The flipper craze however ate most of the them.

Old 07-30-2007, 10:20 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,484,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
The flipper craze however ate most of the them.
Thanks, Capt...and I thought Flipper was a dolphin...not a shark!

Old 07-30-2007, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Thanks, Capt...and I thought Flipper was a dolphin...not a shark!
Many turned out to be jellyfish...crabby jellyfish at that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas