Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 07:58 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,076,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
really because when my broker was Prudential, they highly highly emphasized it... one of the reasons, i left
Never, never listen to what the broker says. You have no common interest.

They want desk rent and no liability. That is not your goal. Note they actually care very little about commissions.

They generally preach the latest fad to the new agents. I remember when Pru was going to get rich off shorts. Lasted about 9 months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 09:17 PM

787 posts, read 1,771,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hubby's girl View Post
Robustus....cecnj wrote that she "hopes" to buy in Summerlin. I would hardly call that an insistence let alone use use the pejorative "silly".
Ummm, actually cecnj never used any form of the word "hope", so at least don't put it quotation marks when making your silly point about my hypothetically pejorative prose.

Regardless, I stand by my statement; it is indeed silly for cecnj to limit his/her search to Summerlin given the stated requirements (though Henderson would not be my first alternate choice, given the commute issues cited).

Old 03-07-2011, 10:22 PM

65 posts, read 323,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
You just lost 99% of all realtor interest in showing you a property... Why would they show you a property, then you go to a different realtor and buy that property..
Not sure what's special in Las Vegas. In other cities, I've twice bought homes using a real estate agent, neither time did my agent ask me to sign anything to show me properties. Also a couple of times, I looked at homes but did not buy that year, also didn't have to sign. Because buyer's agent really works for the seller, just like the seller's agent.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:28 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,886,289 times
the buyers agent works for the buyer.... difference in (as example) cleveland vs. vegas... cleveland you look at a house, you make an offer, most likely you get it... in vegas.. bidding wars, short sales... you look at 30, offer on 15, maybe you get 1 or 2 accepted..alot more time consuming both for the buyer and the agent.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:34 PM

9 posts, read 13,248 times
I get confused by people who come to threads just to be belligerent and have no intention of helping the poster whatsoever. Airics, I do so hope you are a RE agent. I also hope that many many people will read this thread.

Farmgirl,
I really appreciate your candor about your own neighborhood. I can see how amazing it must have been when you first moved in. I am very sorry to hear about the change. I suppose the house hunting continues. sigh.

Olecapt...I mentioned SID fees to a newcomer from New Jersey who may have never thought to ask about them. Was that wrong?

Tax rates....just look at similar houses and see what the total taxes are on houses that cost the same in Maricopa vs. Clark county. I don't care what the numbers are on paper, or what kind of bizarre formulas they use, I care about what I end up paying. And in AZ, the property taxes were much lower. I owned a house. I know. Tell me I am wrong all you want.

Regarding other fees in Summerlin...you tell me I am wrong and that homes don't have other fees, but then say that some do. All I did was mention these additional fees to someone from out of town...again...not information we are all born with. Should I NOT have mentioned that she ask about these fees before looking at housing or considering the cost? I have heard many stories of the first time people get told about these fees is at the signing table.

I agree that these fees are mentioned on the MLS sheet. This is why I told her to ask an agent about the additional fees as she won't find this information freely on typical websites. Not sure I see your implication that there is a problem with being forewarned.

As far as listening to folks in a magazine about which city has a higher cost of living, I would want to see that article and see if they have fully understood all the differences in costs between the two places. I didn't understand your comment about something being 2.7% higher and paying 7% less.

I lived in Vegas for 8 years, moved away, eventually lived in Phoenix, lived there for 8 years and am now back here. I just (a few months ago) changed over my health insurance, car insurance, re-registered my car with NV plates, and am looking for a house. I cannot tell anyone what the objective difference in standard of life is between living in the two places. I happen to like it better here. That is why I moved. All I did was state that for me, the cost of living out here is grossly higher than in AZ. Call me wrong if you like, but I am writing the checks.

Take this home in Mesa, AZ. It is for sale for 238,000. MLS number 4376379. The taxes on that property for 2011 are 1664. Then I looked at a home for sale in Summerlin. It has a short sale price of 189,000. The current taxes for this home are 2938. That MLS number is 1124549. Ok...so you say that Mesa must have terribly low taxes...How about this house in Scottsdale (the most expensive section of Phoenix) 309,000...taxes 2139. MLS 4539119...how about you go look for yourself before you state that my facts are wrong. Or this lovely house in Las Vegas...325,000...mls number 1120092...oh, and taxes? 3773. Nice area in Summerlin, agreed. But 3773 in taxes adds 300+ a month to your PITI. There are HOA dues in this area of 138 a month. So that has to get added in. Again...it is a nice place, but it is not as if this fee does not exist. The website I was viewing doesn't tell me the master planned fee (but it is in Summerlin so perhaps 49?) We are now up to $500 bucks a month and we haven't paid for the house yet. Don't know if there are any SIDs on the property, but I would ask. (Granted, compared to the rest of the states in the US, both of these states have extremely low property taxes.)

I can say I have noticed dramatically different taxes from one house to another and fees can be double across the street from another place. But these costs do exist and therefore it is wise to discover what they are instead of looking at that silly figure on most websites with "mortgage calculators" when they come up with a number to show that you can certainly "afford" that house.

One other thing to look at are the differences in taxes from year to year. During the boom years in another city I will not name, the taxes stayed relatively the same. They went up a few hundred for the year. During the boom years here, I noticed taxes doubled on some homes. It is important not to get yourself into a home that is so tight that if the taxes increases you might not be able to afford your house any longer. Nevada has no income tax, so one of the places they go to get additional taxes are homeowners. No judgment...just a fact. (Or do I have that wrong too?)

As far as finding a decent RE agent...I have asked many of them many questions. You are correct. The dumb ones are pretty easy to spot.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:38 PM

9 posts, read 13,248 times
Ummm, actually cecnj never used any form of the word "hope"

Robustus...
How silly of me to rely on your block quote from cecnj

We are selling our New Jersey home and hope to buy in Summerlin.

Do forgive me for being so incredibly wrong. (Silly me, I thought hope was a form of the word hope.)

You were correct to call her silly.

(See posts number 7 and number 20)

Old 03-07-2011, 11:40 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,249,970 times
Quote:
I get confused by people who come to threads just to be belligerent and have no intention of helping the poster whatsoever. Airics, I do so hope you are a RE agent. I also hope that many many people will read this thread.
I get confused by people who come to threads, ask a question, and then get all huffy when they don't like the answer.

You were offered some advice here, for free, from several knowledgeable professionals. If you choose ultimately to reject their answers or advice, that's your prerogative, but why be so argumentative with people from your new home who have extended themselves generously to your entreaty to "please help a newcomer"?

Old 03-08-2011, 12:04 AM

787 posts, read 1,771,734 times
Quote:
Ummm, actually cecnj never used any form of the word "hope"

Robustus...
How silly of me to rely on your block quote from cecnj

We are selling our New Jersey home and hope to buy in Summerlin.

Do forgive me for being so incredibly wrong. (Silly me, I thought hope was a form of the word hope.)

You were correct to call her silly.

(See posts number 7 and number 20)

Mmm...yeah, my bad. Thanks for taking the time to comb through the thread to track that one down. Very helpful.

What's your issue anyway? I provided some decent first-hand information in response to cecnj's post (see post #20); info that I honestly believe is helpful! You're apparently easily offended (by a pretty innocuous comment to someone else, evidently, which is just strange). Not sure why you reacted the way you did, but whatever. I gave my honest opinion - informed by, you know, actually living here and having recently gone through the home-buying process.

Old 03-08-2011, 12:16 AM

12,908 posts, read 27,886,289 times
yes, i am a real estate agent.. i specialize in rentals....as i tell my clients that i believe the housing crisis is not over... the low end prices to me have stabilized .. anything over 200k, i think is still going to fall..... over 400 or the hirise condos, are really going to plummet... but that is my opinion...

Old 03-08-2011, 01:02 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,793,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cecnj View Post
Good advice. I'm happy to hear that your electric bill has not been astronomical, as reported by others on this thread. Like you, a gardnener would never be on my list of needs (I prefer desert landscape to importing grass).
There are substantial differences in the electric bill based on such things as how much glass faces south or west. Take houses that are basically the same, within a block or so of each other, and the only difference is orientation of the lot & hence orientation of the house -- one has a lot of glass facing west and the other doesn't. Guess which one has a much higher electricity bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas