Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 02:30 PM

6 posts, read 10,227 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

My wife and I are planning on moving to Vegas next May. We have a 2.5 year old daughter, and I'll be attending UNLV graduate school, while she attends for her undergrad. We are looking for an apartment that we can feel safe in. I've heard horror stories from those that have moved near Las Vegas Blvd, but other than that, I am somewhat lost. I am using the very general map found here: Crime in Las Vegas. I am looking at places in Henderson, such as the Hillcrest Apts on Tisbury Dr, but I like the affordability of a place like Summerhill Pointe (intersection of W. Sahara & Ft. Apache). Is that far enough out to "feel safe" going out on a walk at night, for example? If not, what areas of the city would you suggest for low crime and good schools--- or at least the best combination of the two--- for less than $1200/month or so? Is there a bright-line rule that you should stay west or south of __________? Thank you in advance for all of your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 06:30 PM

215 posts, read 350,565 times
I don't understand what the colors mean. Is red supposed to be the highest level of crime activity? Your best bet would probably be to contact the police department regarding crime at specific communities. Since you won't be meeting any other UNLV students before you move, it would be hard to ask them for recommendations.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:42 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,197,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy506 View Post
I don't understand what the colors mean. Is red supposed to be the highest level of crime activity? Your best bet would probably be to contact the police department regarding crime at specific communities. Since you won't be meeting any other UNLV students before you move, it would be hard to ask them for recommendations.
Red is bad...green is good.

It actually correlates quite well with the average income level of the Zip.

Poor people get robbed mostly?

Cops will quote local absolutes. No comparatives. Do you know what violent crime rate you would find acceptable?

Old 03-07-2011, 06:47 PM

Squishy, thanks for your reply. Yes, basically red is bad and green is good, but it is based on zip code, without differentiation within the zip code. I'm not looking for UNLV recommendations; rather I am looking for recommendations from native Nevadans that can give me a little bit better idea where I should stay out of. I don't mind a 10 mile daily commute if it means that we can live in a location where we can take a walk without wondering if it is safe. My question boils down to: How far west or south must I go in order to live without worrying about crime? For example, I'm looking for: anywhere west of X Ave. is a good place to look for a rental because there is little crime and a strong school system.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:53 PM

OK more seriously stay south. 89123. 89012,89052,89183,89141

Go for a condo or house rather than an apartment. $1200 will cut it.

You pretty much can't go wrong in those zips.

Now if you want to be brave and live next to the University...we can get down to tract by tract.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Red is bad...green is good.

It actually correlates quite well with the average income level of the Zip.

Poor people get robbed mostly?

Cops will quote local absolutes. No comparatives. Do you know what violent crime rate you would find acceptable?

Olecapt,

We're from a town of about 20,000 with a moderate level of property crime, but very little violent crime. I'm just looking for an area that you can walk through at 11:00 without the chance of a violent crime even going through your mind. I've read that the Lakes community would meet that standard, but I'm wondering if the W. Sahara/S. Ft. Apache is close enough into the Lakes community or I need to go further west.

Old 03-07-2011, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
OK more seriously stay south. 89123. 89012,89052,89183,89141

Go for a condo or house rather than an apartment. $1200 will cut it.

You pretty much can't go wrong in those zips.

Now if you want to be brave and live next to the University...we can get down to tract by tract.

I'd really prefer a condo, but most of what we will be paying our bills with is accumulated saved money and past capital gains, instead of consistant income. At most, we'll be working with $15,000/year in actual income, so I don't think that we'd qualify for a mortgage (or at least a mortgage with terms that I'd feel comfortable accepting). My goal is that if we move into an apartment for 2 years, we'll be in a strong position to buy a condo with a 15 year mortgage and low interest rate. Thank you for the advice and zip codes! I was looking at 89117, but I'll start looking into those that you mentioned!

Old 03-07-2011, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccatania View Post
Olecapt,

We're from a town of about 20,000 with a moderate level of property crime, but very little violent crime. I'm just looking for an area that you can walk through at 11:00 without the chance of a violent crime even going through your mind. I've read that the Lakes community would meet that standard, but I'm wondering if the W. Sahara/S. Ft. Apache is close enough into the Lakes community or I need to go further west.
That is very nice territory. Though the commute to UNLV is worse.

In general if you stay off the arterials in Las Vegas your chance of being a violent crime victim is zilch. At any time...

All the other violent crime tends to be among those who know each other.

Old 03-07-2011, 07:21 PM

Quote:
I'd really prefer a condo, but most of what we will be paying our bills with is accumulated saved money and past capital gains, instead of consistant income. At most, we'll be working with $15,000/year in actual income, so I don't think that we'd qualify for a mortgage (or at least a mortgage with terms that I'd feel comfortable accepting). My goal is that if we move into an apartment for 2 years, we'll be in a strong position to buy a condo with a 15 year mortgage and low interest rate. Thank you for the advice and zip codes! I was looking at 89117, but I'll start looking into those that you mentioned!
Rent not buy. Graduate students don't buy...they rent. But you can rent condos, townhouses and single families for 1200.

Old 03-07-2011, 07:45 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,493,779 times
Quote:
Walking around at 11pm??? Shouldn't the 2.5 yo be in bed by then? It always amazes me how many children from newborn to 5 years that you see up at 1:30am on The Strip!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: