Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 02:51 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,284,619 times

Advertisements

I can't see what you are saying troublemaker, since I added you to my ignore list. Feel free to talk to yourself forever.

Old 04-03-2011, 02:54 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,110,824 times
I've already diagnosed logbrain as having terminal stupidity nothing can save him....he's too mediocre to be president of the ID 10-T club

Old 04-03-2011, 04:52 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,496,245 times
My ID 10-T club is on my ignore list!

Old 04-03-2011, 10:33 PM

818 posts, read 3,698,255 times
Quote:
You make them more homeless!
There are not conditions of homelessness. Either one has a home or they don't. By giving money to panhandlers, you are simply giving them money.

I find it absurd that people think they have any right to tell other people what they should or shouldn't do with their own money. If you don't like giving money to beggars, then don't. There. You just did your part.

Old 04-04-2011, 12:20 AM

3,598 posts, read 4,948,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chest Rockwell View Post
There are not conditions of homelessness. Either one has a home or they don't.
Well, duh. Ya think? The nuance of that statement was obviously lost on you. To spell it out, making someone "more homeless" was simply an expression referring to the fact that giving a dollar to a homeless person only perpetuates their dire situation (and possibly their addictions) and does not give them the help they really need. It contributes to the economy of poverty. It's a never ending cycle that keeps beggars dependent on begging.

Quote:
By giving money to panhandlers, you are simply giving them money.
No! Wrong! When you give a homeless person your money, you are doing so much more than that. It supports a lifestyle that is detrimental to that person's welfare and society at large. Tell me this: if a park ranger asks you not to feed the bears, why do you think that is? Is it because you think he doesn't want bears to eat and wants them to starve to death? Do you think he doesn't care about bears? Think about it. It's BAD FOR THE BEARS. It changes their behavior for the worse and prevents them from feeding themselves they way they should. Is this really not obvious? According to your logic, you would say "By giving food to bears, you are simply giving them food." Do you see how there's more to it now? You'd be better off saving your charitable deeds and money for the shelters and charities that have shown success in helping homeless people get a leg up. Which leads me to my next point...

Quote:
I find it absurd that people think they have any right to tell other people what they should or shouldn't do with their own money. If you don't like giving money to beggars, then don't. There. You just did your part.
Everybody has every right to say anything they want... and others have the right to call it "absurd." Case in point. Fine, call me absurd, maybe I am, but deep down you know I'm right about this homeless problem.

Old 04-04-2011, 01:05 AM

2,557 posts, read 4,567,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logline View Post
Well, duh. Ya think? The nuance of that statement was obviously lost on you. To spell it out, making someone "more homeless" was simply an expression referring to the fact that giving a dollar to a homeless person only perpetuates their dire situation (and possibly their addictions) and does not give them the help they really need. It contributes to the economy of poverty. It's a never ending cycle that keeps beggars dependent on begging.

No! Wrong! When you give a homeless person your money, you are doing so much more than that. It supports a lifestyle that is detrimental to that person's welfare and society at large. Tell me this: if a park ranger asks you not to feed the bears, why do you think that is? Is it because you think he doesn't want bears to eat and wants them to starve to death? Do you think he doesn't care about bears? Think about it. It's BAD FOR THE BEARS. It changes their behavior for the worse and prevents them from feeding themselves they way they should. Is this really not obvious? According to your logic, you would say "By giving food to bears, you are simply giving them food." Do you see how there's more to it now? You'd be better off saving your charitable deeds and money for the shelters and charities that have shown success in helping homeless people get a leg up. Which leads me to my next point...

Everybody has every right to say anything they want... and others have the right to call it "absurd." Case in point. Fine, call me absurd, maybe I am, but deep down you know I'm right about this homeless problem.
"It supports a lifestyle that is detrimental to that person's welfare and society at large"

Possibly one of the most ironic statements of all time. The same could be said for the current state of how the human race operates its "society". What is detrimental to someone's health is imposing your beliefs on them and further dehumanizing them by comparing the situation to feeding bears. Keep in mind I agree with you about supporting shelters instead but I hope you can climb down from your ivory tower someday.

Old 04-04-2011, 01:08 AM

3,598 posts, read 4,948,701 times
Give me a break, it was an analogy. I'm not imposing anything. I don't write laws. I'm just saying the practice is dumb and detrimental to the very people they think they're helping.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:48 AM

88 posts, read 223,105 times
I think Americans are smart compared to other countries. You can't be the most powerful country in the history of the world without being somewhat smart. Just look at all our universities... Everybody around the world dreams to study in America to get a diverse and solid American education. Our elementary or high schools may not be the best, but our colleges and graduate level education is second to none.

moderator interpose: This thread has officially been hijacked. The discussion has shifted to topics that now have no exclusive relationship to helping those seeking information about the Las Vegas area for relocation or purposes of visiting.

Last edited by scirocco22; 04-04-2011 at 04:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas