Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 05:28 PM

5 posts, read 8,451 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am new here, just registered. Already made a search in the forum, but can not find anything regarding my question, which is:

I am living in a nice high-rise in Vegas (quite happily). Now they are starting to work on their water system and this month they shut off the water MO-FR 8 am - 5 pm for 3 (!!!) weeks in a row. Since I am working from home, this is really a great inconvenience and sometimes when the water should be back in the evening there is only cold water or the water is all brown ...

The water is included in my monthly lease to the homeowner. Can I lower the lease for April now (because I had 3 weeks in March nearly no water?). And what would be a good amount for a 1,5 bedroom condo (1000 sqf)?

Any help is appreciated.

Many thanks,
Michelle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2011, 06:01 PM

121 posts, read 272,742 times
I too live in this high rise, and the HOA told me this morning that the work might take 1-2 months!

I am getting sick of explaining to coworkers why my hygiene has gone south.

I too am wondering what sort of rights tenants have in this situation.

Old 03-25-2011, 06:16 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,197,261 times
Complicated. It does not break the lease. Kind of required repairs.

If you are renting you really have no standing with the HOA. All you can do is ***** to the owner. I would think a deduction is in order...but I doubt the owner has to do it. If you get blown off you can likely take the owner to small claims court for a few hundred dollars. If you want to play hard ball move to a hotel until it is fixed. But then you put that cost at risk. You will likely win...but there are no guarantees. You can threaten to move anyway...Or move for a few days and bill the owner.

You could probably put together a pretty good harassment campaign. The problem though is that you harass the HOA...not the owner. Go to the Southern Nevada Public Health District and talk to them. The HOA is likely required to provide clean water.

Look at the bright side. Adversity builds character...or something.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:38 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,395,399 times
Were you given Notice that this would happen? Were any alternatives offered? Monday thru Friday for 3 weeks is a lot to put up with, I agree. However, it's entirely believable that there is some serious repair needed and cannot be put off. Do you have a property manager or did you rent directly from the owner? You could ask about being released from your lease because you feel 2 or 3 months of this situation is untenable (if that's what you want). Or you could ask that your rent be decreased by a certain amount for the time involved.

Difficult situation, true.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:49 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,567,527 times
I would get together with other tenants and confront them as a group demanding lowered rent.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
I would get together with other tenants and confront them as a group demanding lowered rent.
Confront whom?

This is mostly an absentee landlord condo development.

And it is the hoa screwing around...not the LL.

Old 03-25-2011, 10:26 PM

3,598 posts, read 4,948,253 times
What building is this?

Old 03-25-2011, 10:29 PM

787 posts, read 1,776,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle13 View Post
The water is included in my monthly lease to the homeowner. Can I lower the lease for April now (because I had 3 weeks in March nearly no water?). And what would be a good amount for a 1,5 bedroom condo (1000 sqf)?
The actual value of the water you're supposed to be getting is trivial. For my 2000+ sqft house with a sprinkler system, I pay less than $20/mo for water. I imagine you probably use well under $10/mo in water. The inconvenience factor is far greater.

Old 03-25-2011, 10:39 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,989,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robustus View Post
The actual value of the water you're supposed to be getting is trivial. For my 2000+ sqft house with a sprinkler system, I pay less than $20/mo for water. I imagine you probably use well under $10/mo in water. The inconvenience factor is far greater.
i would guess even less than $10..
i don't think they have any ground to stand on.. this is not the fault of the LL at all...

Old 03-26-2011, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
i would guess even less than $10..
i don't think they have any ground to stand on.. this is not the fault of the LL at all...
It is a habitability issue. If the water was gone continuously the unit would not be habitable. That would be grounds for action against the LL.

There is some of that here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas