Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 03:17 PM

7 posts, read 45,588 times

Advertisements

Hey all,
I'm going to be relocating to Vegas for this summer for an internship. I plan to do a bit of tent camping outside of town and am also interested in astronomy. So, I would like to know about the most discreet, secluding camping areas within a few hours of Las Vegas. I don't need much of anything in the way of amenities, just as few man made lights as possible. Naturally, I've heard of the famous state parks in the area like the Valley of Fire and Mt. Charleston, And I'm sure I'll visit a couple of those but I'd like to have some options a bit more out of the way.

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 03:39 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,184,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehilge View Post
Hey all,
I'm going to be relocating to Vegas for this summer for an internship. I plan to do a bit of tent camping outside of town and am also interested in astronomy. So, I would like to know about the most discreet, secluding camping areas within a few hours of Las Vegas. I don't need much of anything in the way of amenities, just as few man made lights as possible. Naturally, I've heard of the famous state parks in the area like the Valley of Fire and Mt. Charleston, And I'm sure I'll visit a couple of those but I'd like to have some options a bit more out of the way.

Thanks for your help!
Backcountry Camping

Old 03-30-2011, 06:16 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,338,150 times
You said tent camping a few hours from town, not a few minutes. Red Rock, a few minutes away, is not that conducive to camping; mostly day hiking, although you could do some backpacking there. Might be some light pollution now with the growth of Las Vegas. I haven't been there after dark for several years.

Mt. Charleston is designated wilderness, so backpacking is pretty good, but tent camping is down near the housing area, and probably not what you're looking for. Hard to get a full view of the sky up there anyway, depending on where you go. A daytime scout would be needed. I'm referring mostly to Kyle Canyon, but there is also plenty of camping at Lee Canyon where the LV Ski and Snowboard Park is located. It's a little further up the road.

I was wondering if you plan to hike, fish, hunt, or backpack too? Doesn't matter, but most places where you'd tent/car camp would be in a State Park near a fishing lake. Since you said the summer, hunting wouldn't be going on except for varmints (euphemism for critters that don't get no respect, like Rodney). Also, it's a good idea to get up to higher elevation in the summer. Valley of Fire for instance would be pretty hot for camping in the summer.

Anywho, here are some places you'd probably like. The campgrounds of all National Parks get filled up early, so you need to make reservations. State Parks are usually, but not always, first come - first served.

As far as looking at the stars, I've never been so overwhelmed with the night sky as at the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. It's almost claustrophobic ─ feels like you're in the giant room at Carlsbad Caverns with lightening bugs covering the ceiling. Well, maybe not, but I've never seen so many stars, or so bright.

One of the most beautiful National Parks in the U.S. is Zion, which is 3 to 3½ hours drive. An hour beyond that is Bryce Canyon NP. Wonderful place to hike, etc. There are several parks, both State and National, in Southern Utah that will blow you away. Then there is Nevada's Great Basin NP, about 5 hrs north of here. Fantastic Park, and not usually crowded at all. Our favorite camp ground is at 10,000 feet, where the Wheeler Peak (13,000+) trail-head begins. Too bad I can't go above 7,000 now.

State Parks within a few hours drive are at the locations on this map: Nevada Division of State Parks - Listing of Nevada State Parks and Regional Offices. You'd probably stick mostly to the ones north of here on the eastern side. Echo Canyon/Eagle Valley Reservoir are favorite fishing holes of Las Vegans, as are Sunnyside, and Cave Lake, but none of these are usually that crowded. The camp sites can fill up early on weekends though. We used to send a couple up to Echo Canyon on Friday night to get a site, then everyone else drove up Saturday morning. Check out the NDOW website here for fishing holes. They are just about all good camping locations. NDOW - Fishing

There is no shortage of places to camp, and there is no shortage of beautiful locations, and things to do.

Old 03-30-2011, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehilge View Post
Hey all,

Thanks for your help!
FYI, just about anywhere you go in Nevada, Utah, and Arizona is secluded. But in the summer you have to get up out of the desert. Also not a problem. You'll also find many great spots over in California, especially all up and down U.S. 395., as well as off some of the highways that take you there. Death Valley is really nice in late fall, winter, and very early spring. But don't go there in the summer.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:38 PM

7 posts, read 45,588 times
thanks for the prompt replies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post

I was wondering if you plan to hike, fish, hunt, or backpack too?
I enjoy hiking and biking, we'll see how much of that I'm able to do with the summer heat.

Quote:
Also, it's a good idea to get up to higher elevation in the summer. Valley of Fire for instance would be pretty hot for camping in the summer.
I figured as much, it is indeed called the valley of FIRE! Probably not much shade either. Any other suggestions for places that would be up out of the valley and provide a good night sky?

Quote:
As far as looking at the stars, I've never been so overwhelmed with the night sky as at the North Rim of the Grand Canyon.
I've actually been planning on making a trip out to the North Rim, thanks for the suggestion though.

Out of curiosity, are there any places to camp outside of the state parks system?

Old 03-31-2011, 01:00 AM

You can find places to camp outside of parks, both in Nevada and Utah, but it would be very primitive and you might need a 4 x 4 to get there. One of the nicest I've camped at was here: Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
But lock up your food at night or the ringtail cats will get into it.

You can also go up on the back side of Mt. Charleston. Two wheeled drive used to be OK, but it's been a while since I've been up there. Since most of the Spring Mountains, where Charleston Peak is located, was designated as wilderness, the rules have changed. For one, I don't know if they keep the road up at all as that's part of what being wilderness means ...no roads, no man-made anything. I'm sure they keep the trails up though. If you are up to back packing at high altitudes then you can go all over the Spring Mountains and sleep under the stars. In our case we had a big bristle cone pine that we liked to sleep under. It was so big that even if it rained, which it seldom does, we would have been all right.

There is a place called Cold Creek where you can find a trailhead that would take you all the way from there to Lee Canyon. To get there you'd go north on U.S. 95 until you come to the Indian Springs prison. Take the road past the prison to a small community. Or if you continue up that road you'll eventually come to a stream with some camping spots. I think that's called Deer Creek. But last time I was there quite a while ago it took 4 wheel drive to get there.

That road becomes dirt after the houses (or right before them), but it goes all the way across the spine of the mountain at Wheeler Pass, and comes down into Pahrump. It's the same road I said to take up the backside of the mountain. Since I haven't done it in a very long time, I can't say what the road is like, but it used to come to some old coke ovens from the 19th century. Beyond that it was all I could do to get over the boulders in the road with my 4 x 4. It was actually kind of scary. But it's secluded, except for elk, deer, and mountain lions. BTW: Wheeler got around so there are lots of Wheeler this and thats in the west.

In winter, spring, and fall you have a lot more choices. There are plenty of books, maps, trail guides, etc., that you can find in bookstores. Check out places like REI or Bass Pro Shop where there are people who are experts the area. There are several good locally owned outdoor shops that can answer questions and sell you maps, etc. You can even find maps online.

Last edited by Yac; 04-19-2011 at 04:58 AM..

Old 03-31-2011, 01:08 AM

BTW, let me know what you find and how you like it after you've been here a while. I have to enjoy that stuff vicariously now. I'll probably do some easy camping and fishing at Echo Canyon soon, but that's about as adventurous as I get these days.

Also, if you are into mountain biking you'll have a lot of fun here, but the best place to go is Moab, Utah.

Old 03-31-2011, 01:27 AM

2,457 posts, read 4,720,611 times
Best place for astronomy is Lovel Canyon 30 miles southwest of LV in the Spring Mountains. Since its all BLM land. You can camp there also. There is nothing else of interested except for an abandon ranch hidden in a small canyon between Lovel and Trout Canyon. Still its a nice place to star gaze and spend the night. Also the LV Astronomy clubs meets out there once a month and during the meteor shower events.

Old 03-31-2011, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojavedxer View Post
Best place for astronomy is Lovel Canyon 30 miles southwest of LV in the Spring Mountains. Since its all BLM land. You can camp there also. There is nothing else of interested except for an abandon ranch hidden in a small canyon between Lovel and Trout Canyon. Still its a nice place to star gaze and spend the night. Also the LV Astronomy clubs meets out there once a month and during the meteor shower events.
Is there any light pollution out there at night? And don't they sometimes hold those things for the public at Red Rock Canyon?

Old 03-31-2011, 03:41 AM

2,457 posts, read 4,720,611 times
Quote:
Is there any light pollution out there at night? And don't they sometimes hold those things for the public at Red Rock Canyon?

Nope, being in the canyon blocks out the LV light from the East and the Parumph light from the West. The only lights you see are coming from Sandy Valley. I am not sure about the events at Red Rock but you still get all the light from the valley there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas