Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 10:05 PM

16,256 posts, read 43,165,223 times

Advertisements

Here is an idea I've had from time to time. As I'm an American living abroad, at times I think it would be real nice to own something. Some piece of property that I could eventually pay off, and be guaranteed of having somewhere to go, when I become old.

So, the question is, IS IT WORTH IT? Is buying a house like that, and not particularly living in it, worth it? I'd still have to find rental tenants, and pay property taxes. It would age by the time I got there. The way things are going here now (in Japan and quite content). It might not even be 10 or 15 years down the road before I'd even make the move. But could be sooner as well.

Downsides seem plenty though. There seem to be a lot of absentee landlords, creating it's own problems because of it, and I'd end up as one of those for awhile.

The other option is to just save the money, and wait until the time came when I knew with 100% certainty I am ready for the move. Look for a place at that time, etc. It makes the most sense. Plus, time changes people, and 15 years, maybe I'd have somewhere else in mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 10:18 PM

32 posts, read 55,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Here is an idea I've had from time to time. As I'm an American living abroad, at times I think it would be real nice to own something. Some piece of property that I could eventually pay off, and be guaranteed of having somewhere to go, when I become old.

So, the question is, IS IT WORTH IT? Is buying a house like that, and not particularly living in it, worth it? I'd still have to find rental tenants, and pay property taxes. It would age by the time I got there. The way things are going here now (in Japan and quite content). It might not even be 10 or 15 years down the road before I'd even make the move. But could be sooner as well.

Downsides seem plenty though. There seem to be a lot of absentee landlords, creating it's own problems because of it, and I'd end up as one of those for awhile.

The other option is to just save the money, and wait until the time came when I knew with 100% certainty I am ready for the move. Look for a place at that time, etc. It makes the most sense. Plus, time changes people, and 15 years, maybe I'd have somewhere else in mind.
The question to ask: Will Lake Mead have water to support Las Vegas? I think not!!! Just do your research.

Old 04-04-2011, 10:46 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,017,781 times
How sure are you that Vegas is where you want to be?

A good property management company could take care of most of your worries about being an absentee landlord.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:34 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,624,165 times
Save the money and pay all cash when you are ready. Prices in Vegas are not going anywhere for a very long time.

Old 04-06-2011, 05:40 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,629,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman12 View Post
The question to ask: Will Lake Mead have water to support Las Vegas? I think not!!! Just do your research.
Haha yeah ok buddy.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
Save the money and pay all cash when you are ready. Prices in Vegas are not going anywhere for a very long time.
That's probably true. A lot of inventory.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:33 PM

165 posts, read 588,459 times
Put a pencil to it and find out how much it will cost you over time. Prop management companies are good but 10 - 15 years is a long time to rent your home, I fear it will be worn out by the time you get it. Prices are great right now. Just got back from Vegas and was amazed at how down the values are. No matter what you decide, best of luck.

Old 04-07-2011, 01:09 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,338,150 times
I think that is a great idea if you can do it. Prices will most likely go up. There is no better retirement than a house that's paid for. The problem is finding a good management company. I'm not sure they exist. You want someone that will make sure the renters don't trash the house too much.

Old 04-07-2011, 01:12 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,338,150 times
Do you have to pay U.S. taxes? Even if real estate prices go down, as an income property you should be able to write off any losses.

Old 04-07-2011, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Do you have to pay U.S. taxes? Even if real estate prices go down, as an income property you should be able to write off any losses.
Being an expat abroad, I pay income tax into Japan, but not to the U.S. - as long as my income is under a certain amount, and it is.

In regards to buying property in the U.S., and being able to write off losses...that is interesting. Although, without paying income taxes, I suppose they wouldn't write me a paycheck for losses, as it is probably more of a subtraction from taxes owed? Although I am unsure. Something to look into, for sure.

Last edited by Tiger Beer; 04-07-2011 at 02:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas