Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 01:41 PM

241 posts, read 492,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Did you get a Regent's Diploma from high school?

I am not aware of any fixing of the scores on the Regent's tests.
I didn't know what a Regent's Diploma was, so I Googled it. This middle school was in NJ, not NY. From the looks of it, Regent's Diplomas are specific to New York State.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 02:34 PM

293 posts, read 641,647 times
Here is another problem about CCSD now...When I was a teachers aide, we actually had parents come in and complain about the fact that the child had gotton a D or F on his/her report card(even though the grade was earned) and the Principal came down to the class with the parent and had the grade changed by the teacher to a B or A...Happened at least 4 times in my 2 years there..Parents do not want to help their kids, but will complain and ***** until the grade is changed to help the undeserving kid get into a college later..

Old 04-19-2011, 03:46 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas1337 View Post
I didn't know what a Regent's Diploma was, so I Googled it. This middle school was in NJ, not NY. From the looks of it, Regent's Diplomas are specific to New York State.
Got it...New Jersey...ahhh...

Regent diplomas are exclusive to NY.

Old 04-19-2011, 04:16 PM

241 posts, read 492,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolan05 View Post
Here is another problem about CCSD now...When I was a teachers aide, we actually had parents come in and complain about the fact that the child had gotton a D or F on his/her report card(even though the grade was earned) and the Principal came down to the class with the parent and had the grade changed by the teacher to a B or A...Happened at least 4 times in my 2 years there..Parents do not want to help their kids, but will complain and ***** until the grade is changed to help the undeserving kid get into a college later..
This isn't an exclusively CCSD issue. It happens all across America. Including the most affluent public school districts. And I don't mean occasionally -- its standard practice. It even happens in private schools, though I don't know the prevalence in that sector.

Old 04-27-2011, 02:09 AM

7 posts, read 12,797 times
Quix - too funny, but true, sadly. Remember when we had the saaaame old book that generations b4 us had? We STILL learned! U do bad, u get punished - simple, right? I've known teachers who buy supplies and clothing (gloves/hats), up here in AK. Teaching kids to tie shoes (dam velcro), and babying each . and . every. kid who may or may not have a special cirmunstance should not be part of the cirriculum.
As for the parents not wanting to help thier kid help themselves, gimme a break. Parenting is HARD, no matter how you slice it. Get it together and reel that mess back in; it's not fair that society has to raise your kid. Yeah, yeah, we thought they'd be the sweet angels they were the first few years, get ova it.

Old 04-27-2011, 02:01 PM

154 posts, read 357,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas1337 View Post
This isn't an exclusively CCSD issue. It happens all across America. Including the most affluent public school districts. And I don't mean occasionally -- its standard practice. It even happens in private schools, though I don't know the prevalence in that sector.
..and now we have some young adults whose parents call in sick for them when they miss work....such cripling parents...hope they are prepared for the possibility of having their adult children living with them forever.

Old 05-20-2011, 07:43 AM

1,428 posts, read 3,161,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolan05 View Post
Was this a high school, Nolan? PM me if you don't want to respond in public.

Old 05-20-2011, 02:30 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,568,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyygirl View Post
..and now we have some young adults whose parents call in sick for them when they miss work....such cripling parents...hope they are prepared for the possibility of having their adult children living with them forever.
When I used to work at a treatment facility for teens, a guy in his 20's came in for an interview with his mom. Needless to say, he didn't get the job and those kids would have eaten him alive.

Old 05-21-2011, 07:19 AM

1,631 posts, read 3,951,794 times
[SIZE=2][SIZE=2]Just when I thought I heard it all!!!!!!!!!! Why bother sending kids to school at all if your going to just hand them a diploma just to graduate them. [/SIZE][/SIZE]
Plan would alter diploma rules for high school seniors

Source: Las Vegas Review Journal

Old 05-22-2011, 12:44 AM

11,637 posts, read 12,706,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic59 View Post
I promised myself I wouldn't get involved in this thread because it hits way too close to home. But the straw that broke the camel's back was the video. I have taught math at the secondary level for 23 years. I have been subjected to no less than 11 "new and improved" ways to teach math over that time. One year actually had a change in mid year.
Besides the obvious foolishness of most of this hogwash and the fact that it revolves around the idea of not requiring students to do actual (God forbid) memorization, learning or work, is the fact that much of it is a by product of "public" pressure.
Somewhere along the way, some bright politician had the idea to sell parents on the idea that if Johnny wasn't cutting the mustard in school it wasn't Johnny's fault but the school's. Sooooo, the politician got together with the local school board and the textbook publishers, kickbacks started flying around, and lo and behold, a "new and improved" curriculum complete with new textbooks that would relieve Johnny of all the cumbersome learning he was being asked to do. Johnny no longer worried about how to multiply numbers, he reflected on how he FELT about multiplying numbers.
Having been educated as an engineer first, I was well aware that if Johnny wanted a real job, he damn well better learn how to multiply two numbers together by hand. But nooooooooooooo, I was just a mean old dumb teacher and was expected to shut up and do as I was told so as not to anger Johnny's mommy who would call the school board and complain.
The sick part of all this is that in this convoluted process, teachers became the enemy, "reformers" became the heroes, schools became sewers and now we have a whole bunch of loons running around claiming that schools are broken, bad teachers abound like bed bugs, and the only way Johnny will learn is to destroy teacher unions, layoff teachers left and right, privatize schools and slash and burn school budgets.
Now Johnny's mommy is voting for idiots like Gov. Walker in Wisconsin who is one of those "reformers" who probably spent a fortune on Everyday Math books for his schools.
You know what Johnny's mommy? I hope you like the taste of what you're chewin' on, cause you made it!!
As for Johnny, Everyday Math is right, because if Johnny is lucky he'll get a job in Mcdonalds selling fries, where the register does all the math anyway!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!
I wanted to give you a rep for this post, but CD says I have to spread the rep points around first. Glad to see this written by a former engineer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas