Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 02:28 PM

1,428 posts, read 3,159,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
But you reinforce the value. You and I can, in fact, actually dig through the stuff. But a single parent economically harassed...I don't think so.

Let us examine your thesis...just go to the magnet site...not by the way exactly easy to find unless you know about it. There let us examine the middle schools.
I guess it depends on how you define "easy." You go to CCSD ---> Schools ---> Magnet Schools. That wasn't particulary tough to do, although I admit that it would make a heck of a lot more sense if CCSD put the "Magnet Schools" link right under "School Web Sites."
Quote:

There are four. Hyde Park, Bridger, Knudson and Martin. Now what? Examine the Achievement reports. Well you got the numbers...what do they mean? A quick check of my list will show one great school and three in the middle of the pack. But to get that out of examining individual achievemment reports? Lots of luck.
But Olecapt, that's basically what I did, and I'm not anywhere near being Einstein or an expert numbercruncher of any sort.
Quote:

You also miss one of the keys on Becker. It is a very good place for bright students. Actually number two to Hyde Park. Given its demographic it does the split bit. Does OK by the regular students and takes very good care of the bright students. Clark High is another of those. You know Clark produces as many National Merit Semi-Finalist as the top tier of the regular high schools. How can that be? Obviously another split program with some attributes enabling bright students to do well surrounded by a less than super environment.
The problem is, though, I am seriously concerned about the fights (as I was with Webb too, FWIW). On that, I think it would depend a lot on whether or not your math kid was a boy who was also good in sports (the golden ticket to near-universal boy acceptance among other boys), or a girl (less likely to be involved in a physical fight). Okay, obviously these are major stereotypes, but many times, stereotypes matter to others even if they don't matter to oneself.
Quote:
I do agree with yiou that there are a lot of personal decisions involved in finding the right course for a particular family. But I have provided a very useful tool for that quest. And you have unfairly denigrated it based on persoal prejudice. You really should reconsider.
I'm not denigrating it. I'm simply saying that like any piece of data -- including CCSD's, for what it's worth -- it needs to be examined through the prism of the author's bias and motives, but honestly, that's true of EVERY piece of data because there is no such thing as pure objectivity except as a Platonic ideal that doesn't tend to exist in reality. I also think it's important for people who want to delve deeper into the data to consult CCSD's accountability reports themselves and use all the data on there to help them arrive at their decision. That's all. No denigration intended.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2007, 02:54 PM

203 posts, read 545,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC2NV View Post
I hate to start yet another thread on apartments in Las Vegas but I would appreciate your help. I am moving in 3 weeks and have to find an apartment sight unseen. I have a dog that due to weight restrictions has limited me to the following communities:
Hampton Garden - 9750 Peace Way
Summerhill Pointe - 9501 West Sahara Avenue
Copper Creek -9490 S. Bermuda

I am taking into consideration any input you have on the respective Elementary Schools:
Hayes ES
MJ Christensen ES
Cartwright/Gehring ES

My stress level has hit an all time high with the move taking place in 3 weeks. I have to make my decision soon and place a depost.

All of your help and opinions is GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!!!!
DONT MOVE TO VEGAS IT SUCKS YOU THINK YOUR STRESS IS HIGH NOW WAIT TILL YOU GET HERE. PLUS DONT LISTEN TO OCELPT HES THE LAS VEGAS CHEERLEADER.

Old 08-01-2007, 05:12 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,184,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Wallace View Post

I'm not denigrating it. I'm simply saying that like any piece of data -- including CCSD's, for what it's worth -- it needs to be examined through the prism of the author's bias and motives, but honestly, that's true of EVERY piece of data because there is no such thing as pure objectivity except as a Platonic ideal that doesn't tend to exist in reality. I also think it's important for people who want to delve deeper into the data to consult CCSD's accountability reports themselves and use all the data on there to help them arrive at their decision. That's all. No denigration intended.
What you are neglecting though is that it is the CCSD data. No windage, no judgement. Just repackaged in a handy accesible way. The linkages to the original Achievement reports allows one to check the other factors such as fights. Or the raw numbers if you are of that mind.

The only actual choice made (or actually not made) was the decision to weight the categories evenly. The same rank for reading, writing, math and science when present. Data errors are highly unlikely as the extraction is pretty automated. There could be a clerical error I suppose...but that is probably more likely at the CCSD when this stuff is compiled.

And no I don't believe you did it directly from the CCSD Achievement Reports. I know how hard that is to do. You basically have to replicate most of the process I use to create the tables. Done manually it would take most of a day to do even a crude comparison of the four magnets to the other 60 odd schools. Just assessing the range of the data involves visiting most of the reports. And you would basically have to write down each school as you went. Hell it takes my little automaton 3 or 4 minutes minutes to do it...if there are no glitches. And it is 50 or 100 times faster than a human.

Old 08-01-2007, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFILESMULDER View Post
DONT MOVE TO VEGAS IT SUCKS YOU THINK YOUR STRESS IS HIGH NOW WAIT TILL YOU GET HERE. PLUS DONT LISTEN TO OCELPT HES THE LAS VEGAS CHEERLEADER.
Hey poverty sucks...but here are a full set of lower case letters for free...

abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz

Maybe someone else will let you borrow their spell checker.

Old 08-02-2007, 01:40 AM

203 posts, read 545,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Hey poverty sucks...but here are a full set of lower case letters for free...

abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz

Maybe someone else will let you borrow their spell checker.
OLECAPT WHAT DID I SPELL WRONG? SORRY IM NOT AS SMART A YOU. I DONT SPEND ALL DAY IN THIS FORUM. YOU OLD TART.

Old 08-06-2007, 12:22 AM

4 posts, read 11,997 times
Default Why argue?

Being familiar with the aforementioned schools, I see no reason for you two to argue. It is a waste of time and oxygen. Afterall, NONE of these schools are good. Take the advice of the one person and DO NOT move to Las Vegas. Arguing about the relative education opportunities in Las Vegas schools is silly. They are all very low and on the bottom of the proverbially barrell when it comes to national comparisons. Carry on cowboys!

Old 08-06-2007, 03:04 AM

Default One hopes your residency will be short

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasvegastemporaryresident View Post
Being familiar with the aforementioned schools, I see no reason for you two to argue. It is a waste of time and oxygen. Afterall, NONE of these schools are good. Take the advice of the one person and DO NOT move to Las Vegas. Arguing about the relative education opportunities in Las Vegas schools is silly. They are all very low and on the bottom of the proverbially barrell when it comes to national comparisons. Carry on cowboys!
Nonsense. As the 8000 people who move here each month testify.

The schools are the normal mix of a large urban/suburban district...ranging from excellent to dismal.

Old 08-06-2007, 12:34 PM

4 posts, read 11,997 times
Nonsense back at you! Have you actually checked NCLB statistics? It is a dismal picture all over! Even the "top", better funded areas are not up to par. It is a fact that graduates from even the "best" high schools here are not able to compete in colleges and universities around the country. At UNLV, there are huge numbers of local students who must have remedial classes to even attempt college-level work.

No, you are not correct in your comments.

As to your comment about Vegas being similiar to other urban areas. Well, for one thing, there is out of control growth which has meant that the school district has not been able to grow to meet the needs of the students. Spending per student is one of the lowest in the nation. Yes, there are lots of nice, new school buildings. However, supplies are low and programs not progressive. Not adequate for students to compete in the world in which we live.

Dismal is the world.

Oh and your comment about "the 8000 people who move here" testiying that my comments are nonsense. FIRST, realize that the vast majority of the aformentioned 8000 persons are not going to be testifying in English---they cannot speak it. This bouyies my point--the growth, especially of social-services-needy illegals, has taxed the infrastructure to the maximum. The point, my dear, is that our schools here are FILLED with students who are English language learners. Teachers do NOT have adequate support systems to deal with this influx. I have nothing against the students who do not speak English (as it is not their fault they are thrown into our schools), but it makes education very, very difficult.

There is a lack of up-to-date,progressive methods here in the field of education. There are lots of teachers who have been quckly put through "college-degree- mills" and quckly put into admin jobs--really sad because it means that there are admins not truly qualified to do their jobs. Going to "strip mall" colleges, and gettting admin. credentials in time that beats the land speed does not make one qualified. Also, the area teacher shortage is partially addressed by giving teaching candidates an "alternative" route to licensure. Hmmmm. So, there is a huge shortage in the hundreds each year...so, I know...lets just make it EASIER to become a teacher. Wow! That does not make sense. Now we have warm bodies to teach---but, well, they do not know how. So, the students end up with inadequate teachers.

No--this is not nonsense!

Whatcha got to say now?

Old 08-06-2007, 01:24 PM

Default OK - Once more - Than go away

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasvegastemporaryresident View Post
Nonsense back at you! Have you actually checked NCLB statistics? It is a dismal picture all over! Even the "top", better funded areas are not up to par. It is a fact that graduates from even the "best" high schools here are not able to compete in colleges and universities around the country. At UNLV, there are huge numbers of local students who must have remedial classes to even attempt college-level work.

No, you are not correct in your comments.
There are a number of exemplary schools. The majority of the elementary schools in fact are AYP. The top thirty schools or so are as good on any criteria you want to pick as those in any other comparable city.

The top academic high schools here compete very well. A Tech grads go virtually everywhere. The top 5 or 6 high schools are quite good and the top 20 are more than adequate. Some level of remedial work is neccessary for a minority of the college students wherever they come from.

Quote:
As to your comment about Vegas being similiar to other urban areas. Well, for one thing, there is out of control growth which has meant that the school district has not been able to grow to meet the needs of the students. Spending per student is one of the lowest in the nation. Yes, there are lots of nice, new school buildings. However, supplies are low and programs not progressive. Not adequate for students to compete in the world in which we live.
Dismal is the world.
Well we agree that Las Vegas could better manage growth in a number of dimensions including schools. But this does not make the good schools bad...it just means that newer high growth areas go through unneccessary pain in their initial years.

Spending per student is low as is customary throughout the southwest. All the areas pays teachers badly except California. This is a custom of which I don't approve...but the majority of the SW population apparently does.

It looks like the need for teachers will be well met this year thanks to the layoffs in the shrinking cities of the east.

And there is nothing dismal about the better schools. They are doing fine.

Quote:
Oh and your comment about "the 8000 people who move here" testiying that my comments are nonsense. FIRST, realize that the vast majority of the aformentioned 8000 persons are not going to be testifying in English---they cannot speak it. This bouyies my point--the growth, especially of social-services-needy illegals, has taxed the infrastructure to the maximum. The point, my dear, is that our schools here are FILLED with students who are English language learners. Teachers do NOT have adequate support systems to deal with this influx. I have nothing against the students who do not speak English (as it is not their fault they are thrown into our schools), but it makes education very, very difficult.
Racist xenophobic BS. Cite a source. The majority of the influx is white english speakers. Only you xenophobes see all those illegals.

The schools are not filled with english learners. Less than 20% of the student body are in the language programs.

Quote:
There is a lack of up-to-date,progressive methods here in the field of education. There are lots of teachers who have been quckly put through "college-degree- mills" and quckly put into admin jobs--really sad because it means that there are admins not truly qualified to do their jobs. Going to "strip mall" colleges, and gettting admin. credentials in time that beats the land speed does not make one qualified. Also, the area teacher shortage is partially addressed by giving teaching candidates an "alternative" route to licensure. Hmmmm. So, there is a huge shortage in the hundreds each year...so, I know...lets just make it EASIER to become a teacher. Wow! That does not make sense. Now we have warm bodies to teach---but, well, they do not know how. So, the students end up with inadequate teachers.

No--this is not nonsense!

Whatcha got to say now?
You really a fan of "progeressive methods"? I thought that nonsense had been reasonably well discreditied by now.

You have some figures and sources demonstrating that the CCSD teachers are a poorer sort than elsewhere? Or did you pick this opinion out of thin air. The same source as your other incorrect data?

And what I say now is, as suspected, your posts are pretty much the drivel of one who knows little but believes a lot...

Old 08-06-2007, 11:28 PM

89 posts, read 297,464 times
More important than some bogus scores from lying public school teachers is the ghetto culture that children are exposed to in public schools. That's what is important. All schools can use the same text books, but who will be your child's classmates? Homeschool before you ruin your child in a public school, if you can't afford a private school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: