U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 06:48 AM

25 posts, read 40,761 times

Advertisements

Hello

I am strongly considering the following areas:

* Green Valley Ranch
* Tuscany
* Spring Valley
* Anthem

I am concerned about safety, as many on this forum are. I am trying to avoid assessments and I see that many homes in Tuscany have $10k bolted on to their prices.

Any thoughts on which is a better community? I assume that all are safe.

Thanks.

Phil
The New Small - How a New Breed of Small Businesses Is Harnessing the Power of Emerging Technologies. The third book from Phil Simon.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 09:28 AM

15,756 posts, read 35,858,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philsimon View Post
Hello

I am strongly considering the following areas:

* Green Valley Ranch
* Tuscany
* Spring Valley
* Anthem

I am concerned about safety, as many on this forum are. I am trying to avoid assessments and I see that many homes in Tuscany have $10k bolted on to their prices.

Any thoughts on which is a better community? I assume that all are safe.

Thanks.

Phil
What is it you are trying to avoid? Assessments are rare and generally not avoidable. That says the HOA is underfunded and needs to fix it.

SID/LIDs and HOA fees are guaranteed in the areas where you are looking with the exception of Spring Valley. The other three are all master plans with significant HOAs. Spring Valley has older housing and will have some non HOA areas.

SID/LIDs vary by the tract. They may be gone or mostly paid off in GV.

Spring Valley is a very large area and will vary from moderately "safe" to quite "safe". The others will have pretty low crime rates.

I don't think there is any way to find a home in nice Henderson which does not have some substantive set of fees.

Old 04-19-2011, 10:05 AM

1,225 posts, read 1,641,324 times
Phil, it all depends how close you want to be to the Strip or some other activity like shopping/dining/airport. I recently bought a house in Anthem and like being up in the hills. But one does have to drive 10 or 15 minutes to go shopping, not counting the small shopping center that Anthem has.

You really have to drive around the different areas and see for yourself what you like or dislike. HOA fees are a fact of life in the better areas and in the new areas LID's as well.

To me, I would be looking at home construction (builder), size of lot, gated?, etc as well as location. I think that the best deals are on the houses build from 2004 to 2007.

Old 04-19-2011, 10:25 AM

14,387 posts, read 12,209,301 times
Of those, I'd like GVR the best. If/when I move to Vegas and would buy, that would be a key area I'd look at. In that vein look at Seven Hills. Anthem is behind Seven Hills, so if that's on your list, it's silly not to look at SH also.

I'd avoid Tuscany. To close to the BMI toxic waste dump for my taste.

There's no problem with Spring Valley, if you find something you like.

Also, with Tuscany and Anthem, be careful with anything too new. Anything built between 2004 and 2007 is supect, due to the possibility of chinese sheetrock.

Old 04-19-2011, 10:50 AM

1,225 posts, read 1,641,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post

Also, with Tuscany and Anthem, be careful with anything too new. Anything built between 2004 and 2007 is supect, due to the possibility of chinese sheetrock.
Why in the world would anybody import Chinese sheetrock into Las Vegas since there are so many gypsum plants in the valley? Frankly, I don't believe that Chinese sheetrock is around here or else the news would reporting it big-time.

The problem with the Chinese sheetrock is in Florida and in the homes repaired after Katrina.

Anyway, very, very easy to tell if a house has chinese sheetrock. Just look at the circuit breaker box.......all of the copper connections will be corroded.

Old 04-19-2011, 11:04 AM

3,728 posts, read 8,944,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Of those, I'd like GVR the best. If/when I move to Vegas and would buy, that would be a key area I'd look at. In that vein look at Seven Hills. Anthem is behind Seven Hills, so if that's on your list, it's silly not to look at SH also.

I'd avoid Tuscany. To close to the BMI toxic waste dump for my taste.

There's no problem with Spring Valley, if you find something you like.

?????

I remember something on the news, maybe a couple years ago, about a few homeowners here in town, in a new development, claiming their homes were built with Chinese Sheetrock and they were getting sick, they wanted money for damages incurred and so on...

But an investigation took place and it was found that the drywall was not Chinese sheetrock at all, but yet the homeowners were still adament that something in their new homes was making them sick.

Never saw or heard anything else on the news about it and I don't believe I've ever seen or read anything about homes built here in town using that type of drywall at all.

Old 04-19-2011, 11:30 AM

1,826 posts, read 5,031,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomMom View Post
?????

I remember something on the news, maybe a couple years ago, about a few homeowners here in town, in a new development, claiming their homes were built with Chinese Sheetrock and they were getting sick, they wanted money for damages incurred and so on...

But an investigation took place and it was found that the drywall was not Chinese sheetrock at all, but yet the homeowners were still adament that something in their new homes was making them sick.
Hypochondriacs that watch the news?

Old 04-19-2011, 11:33 AM

3,728 posts, read 8,944,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danknee View Post
Hypochondriacs that watch the news?
Hypochondriacs looking for $$$ Danknee, and they probably foreclosed by now anyway, lol

Old 04-19-2011, 01:05 PM

15,756 posts, read 35,858,668 times
There are reports that Chinese drywall was shipped to Nevada.

I know of no incident where it was reported to have been used.

So I see no indication it was actually used in the Vegas area.

It is included in the standard disclosures nowadays.

It may also be that it is innocuous in Las Vegas. Needs high humidity to be a problem.

Old 04-20-2011, 06:03 AM

25 posts, read 40,761 times
Wow. I didn't know about Chinese sheetrock. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas