Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 12:20 PM

3,728 posts, read 9,472,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 license to sell View Post
Rachel Here are some articles that may be helpful the first one address's what I think your mom may have been talking about.
And the second article is a little known problem that some new comers have encountered when they have moved to Henderson , most people hear about this happening in Arizona but not have known about the same problem exists in Henderson not all people that move to Henderson have experienced it but some have.

If your thinking of purchasing in Henderson you may want to read this to see where this super clean up site is in relation to where you want to purchase.

State gets $81 million to clean up Henderson industrial site

Source: Las Vegas Sun

If your looking to purchase a property in Henderson you may want to know this.
It's not meant to scare you but to make you aware of a possible health issue that could arise when moving to the valley.

Victims say disease deadly, debilitating - News - ReviewJournal.com

Sep 13, 2009 ... Victims say disease deadly, debilitating. The book "Valley Fever Epidemic" shows in red the area where the disease has been found. ...
www.lvrj.com/news/59169147.html

Every area in and around Las Vegas has some kind if issue and moving to any area you need to do your due diligence to find out which area best suits you.
Very interesting! While I've heard of "valley fever" it's usually that sneezy, coughy, runny nose thing some people suffer when the wind blows, and it goes away when the wind stops blowing.

This disease (apparently all over the Southwest) is far more serious. I've never heard of it, nor do I know of anyone who has ever had it.

Tough break for those infected though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2011, 01:11 PM

968 posts, read 2,062,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Can't you find something better to do with your time? While there are valid concerns about valley fever in AZ and parts of CA it is pretty much a non-starter in Las Vegas.

In 2010 there were 69 cases reported. This is in comparison to 264 cases of HIV, 180 cases of syphilis and 1580 cases of Gonorrhea.

I am sure you could get killed by lightning on a golf course too.
Actually, although many cases are subacute, it can be quite serious especially if it gets into the brain. Coccidioidomycosis can be treated but unfortunately can frequently recur.

Old 04-22-2011, 02:02 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,197,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swigchow View Post
Actually, although many cases are subacute, it can be quite serious especially if it gets into the brain. Coccidioidomycosis can be treated but unfortunately can frequently recur.
Not the issue. Syphilis untreated has bad outcomes too. Valley Fever occurs at a rate of about 3.5 per 100,000 annually. We drown kids under 14 at a rate of 4.6 per 100,000 annually. There were 1.7 pedestrian fatalities per 100,000.

The rates in AZ are an order of magnitude higher. Pima County runs as high as 60 or more per 100,000.

We should be advertising in Tucson and Phoenix for folks to mover here to escape Valley Fever....

Old 04-22-2011, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Not the issue. Syphilis untreated has bad outcomes too. Valley Fever occurs at a rate of about 3.5 per 100,000 annually. We drown kids under 14 at a rate of 4.6 per 100,000 annually. There were 1.7 pedestrian fatalities per 100,000.

The rates in AZ are an order of magnitude higher. Pima County runs as high as 60 or more per 100,000.

We should be advertising in Tucson and Phoenix for folks to mover here to escape Valley Fever....
I'm pretty sure the general populus of the valley aren't too worried about catching the "valley fever"

So now that we know...what about the newbies wanting to move here? We have to start warning them about "valley fever" too, LOL

Last edited by MomMom; 04-22-2011 at 04:15 PM..

Old 04-22-2011, 04:57 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,107,668 times
start a campaign...that'll keep the noobs out of town :]

Old 04-22-2011, 05:02 PM

Actually Vegas has at least one awful public health problem. but it is pretty much irrelevant to newcomers or tourist..so I shall let it lie there.

It is not Valley Fever

Old 04-22-2011, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Actually Vegas has at least one awful public health problem. but it is pretty much irrelevant to newcomers or tourist..so I shall let it lie there.

It is not Valley Fever

It's very relevant to newcomers, tourists and residents alike. Let's be honest here olecapt..it IS an awful health problem and everybody who comes here suffers from it!! Tell the truth dear one. It's documented here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFw5a...eature=related

Last edited by MomMom; 04-22-2011 at 05:49 PM..

Old 04-22-2011, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomMom View Post
It's very relevant to newcomers, tourists and residents alike. Let's be honest here olecapt..it IS an awful health problem and everybody who comes here suffers from it!! Tell the truth dear one. It's documented here:

YouTube - Elvis Presley - Viva Las Vegas [Movie Music Video]
YOu got me Valley Fever is important..

But not...coccidioidomycosis....

Old 04-22-2011, 07:12 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,493,779 times
Quote:

It is not Valley Fever
Gambling Fever?

Old 04-22-2011, 08:33 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,349,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
BINGO....the EXACT reason I am against Yucca Mt. We got NOTHING in return....it was shoved up our

They want it here, then lets negotiate.
Yeah, but that was because our politicians decided that opposing it would win them votes, so they closed the negotiations right off the bat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas