Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 06:42 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,710,395 times

Advertisements

There are ways of keeping CYA in check. Only use tabs only the summer but limit tabs to 1 per 6500 gal in a floater. Use liquid chlor or bleach to chlorinate or shock and use a polyquat 60 to prevent algae growth. Keep CYA levels in around 100, and if it gets any higher you can always drain part way. This has worked for me for years. There are also errosion type cal hypo pucks that are cheap, but they do add calcium if you use too much.

For those who want to chlorinate with liquid chlorine it is the best way, but you have to be on top of it and check your free CL on a reg basis. FAS DPD test kit is also the best to use. You can get the leslies or taylor kit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 07:03 AM

75 posts, read 137,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
YOu can lower the CYA level though it is a pain and takes a while. The easiest way of course is to dump the pool and refill.

You can also stop with the pucks, go to liquid and try and oxygenate the water. There are fountains that plug into side outlets that will do it as will waterfalls and such. Decorative fountains work too. See what you can rig and check in a week and see if you are doing any good.

The only consequences are that you need lots of chlorine and eventually, if it gets high enough, you have to drain and refill to get effective chlorine action.

Go read the pool school stuff. Lots of info there about all this.
Ok I've read the pool school, you are right very good. I understand more now. However for over eight years now I have never had an algae problem. I do have to raise the ph a couple times a summer but that isn't too big a deal. I have a fiberglass pool so I think that helps with the algae. I also cover my pool quite a bit in the summer time to help with evaporation more than anything else. So do I really need to switch from the pucks or am I probably ok since I don't have algae issues?

Old 04-21-2011, 09:56 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,011,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
I am also on the liquid chlorine only routine.
I am on the write a $100 check/month routine.

Old 04-21-2011, 01:36 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,192,639 times
Actually I am on the write a $3000 check every third or fourth year routine. But I get by real cheap the rest of the time. $10 or $20 a month in the height of the heat. And cheap electric on the side.

Old 04-21-2011, 02:46 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,858,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
I am on the write a $100 check/month routine.
Even if someone else performs your weekly maintenance, you should still care about whether stabilized chlorine is used to sanitize your pool. Unless you partially drain and refill your pool every year, your CYA is probably way off the charts, and your pool guy compensates by tossing in a ton of chlorine.

Old 04-21-2011, 05:50 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,710,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
Even if someone else performs your weekly maintenance, you should still care about whether stabilized chlorine is used to sanitize your pool. Unless you partially drain and refill your pool every year, your CYA is probably way off the charts, and your pool guy compensates by tossing in a ton of chlorine.
If a pool guy uses a lot of chlorine, he is not very smart since that is very expensive and he will be out of business really quick. He/she probably uses pucks(trichlor). when needed, uses liquid chlorine and a polyquat60 algeastat to prevent any growth. Most of the older pools in town have a D.E. filter or Sand, and these can be backwashed. This goes right to the sewer and you can partially drain a pool to prevent high CYA. Pools with cartridge filters can also be drained partially every season to lower CYA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: